SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164397 - 12/21/05 12:53 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Player --- Performer, big difference. Let?s give credit to our audience, I was being interviewed to play a condo party and the question asked was. "Do you have the tapes and stuff also". And he was a senior.
Yes, they are excepting new technology. And yes they do enjoy the new keyboards, if used properly ---
If you do a good job, they will give you credit for your performance, but not to your ability to play your instrument.
Years back I remember them saying, "Boy, you can really make that guitar really sound good", technology is changing that, the people are aware of that.
Look at the movies, was the picture good because of the actor, or was it good because of the effects.
I still very much enjoy a good actor or a good player.

IMHO, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 12-21-2005).]

#164398 - 12/21/05 03:06 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Great players, be they pianists' or synthesists', will always have a certain disdain for "arranger" keyboards and those who use them in a professional venue. It's similar to the attitude that most musicians have about disk jockeys. As keyboardists', who among us is not more thrilled by a "killer" acoustic piano performance than an "arranger" performance....why? because we KNOW the guy can play, simple as that.

chas

#164399 - 12/21/05 03:57 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Is everyone of us looking into this too deeply. At the end of the evening if everybody feels they have had a good nights entertainment....which is the reason they attended in the first place.... then the goal has been achieved regardless of the keyboard played. The keyboard player and his reaction with the audience makes the performance.

Dirkjan Ranzijn perform showing full emotion with each piece he plays and this does transfer to the listeners enjoyment.

#164400 - 12/21/05 04:04 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
if you go to any professional concert or music performance like Madona or Justin timberlake or Jlo mariah carey, just listen to the musicians!Can you tell whether they are playing all the instruments live or triggering off arpegiators with their feet or sequenced parts that they are playing live to etc ? I bet you cant ! Neither can the audience!

But they all assume that there must be a certain level of skill employed to make the great sounds that they are hearing.

I agree with Graham "Is everyone of us looking into this too deeply. At the end of the evening if everybody feels they have had a good nights entertainment....which is the reason they attended in the first place.... then the goal has been achieved regardless of the keyboard played. The keyboard player and his reaction with the audience makes the performance.

#164401 - 12/21/05 04:14 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Here's my 2 cents. I am a pianist, and I am considered a good one. However, in the real world, if I didn't play OMB jobs, I'd make a lot less money. Playing the piano is nice and I love to do it, but to put on a show or play for dancing, an arranger can't be beat. For me it's a whole package, I sing, play a mean right hand, and use great chords and I do it in an entertaining style. Plain and simple, the arranger is still an instrument, or a tool which you use in your performance.

Check out my new solo piano CD. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/joeayala

Salud,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#164402 - 12/21/05 05:19 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
I play professionally. My solution to settle any questions about what or how I play is simple: I turn off the accompaniment and just play piano every few songs or so. Naked piano is the ultimate statement regarding keyboard playing ability.

Also, I walk around to every table and greet everyone individually on my breaks, usually handing out song sheets so the customers can make requests (without driving me nuts by asking for things I don't know). Most people don't care at all how I make the music but some do and this one-on-one time is when I answer any questions about my keyboard or the technology I use.

#164403 - 12/21/05 05:30 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This is a good topic, we've talked about this one quite a bit. I wonder if the arranger stereotype will ever fade.

However, Yamaha for example doesn't really help to improve that image in my opinion. Take the PSR-3000 for example. This is no beginner's arranger keyboard. It has too many functions and abilities that put it in the pro department, but for some odd reason Yamaha added the "Performance Assistance" feature to the PSR-3000. I think this feature should have been left off the PSR-3000. It in my opinion is a very TOY like feature and only gives a negative image to the upper end arrangers and those who own them and perform with them daily.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-21-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#164404 - 12/21/05 11:55 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Interesting! A similar situation exists in the graphic arts field, for some of the same reasons.

Some people proficient in Mac operation (Quark Express, etc.) know the mechanics of the machine, but lack the asthetic touch which marks a great conceptual artist.

Likewise, some operators of electronic musical equipment of all kinds know the equipment, but are sometimes short on raw musical talent.

Then, sadly, there is the age factor. I know several top designers who were making 6 figure incomes, say, 12 years ago, who can't find any kind of graphics job today, because they simply are intimidated by the technology, and never learned it. Likewise, superb musicians who never changed with the times are starving.

It takes a balance to be successful. It is true that animation equipment, arrangers,
digital editing packages, etc. make it possible for more people to participate in certain fields.

The trick is to do your craft. Use technology to produce, but not as a crutch or cover-up for a lack of ability.

And, always keep learning...both the technology and the art/craft.

Russ

#164405 - 12/21/05 11:56 AM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Sorry, double post (Damn technology)!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 12-21-2005).]

#164406 - 12/21/05 12:34 PM Re: The Keyboard Vs The Player
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Russ wrote:
"The trick is to do your craft. Use technology to produce, but not as a crutch or cover-up for a lack of ability."

You summed it up, Russ!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online