SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#164259 - 10/12/01 08:29 AM PSR2000: more like PSR740 or PSR9000?
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
I realize that it has been compared to, and has characteristics of both, but does anyone out there know which one it's MORE like?

#164260 - 10/12/01 03:03 PM Re: PSR2000: more like PSR740 or PSR9000?
rgtaa Offline

I guess if I want to hear perfection I put on a professional cd !
But for the fun of playing I love the psr9000!
And everything... computers, programs, ect... get better and better and better!
Jump in today and not wait! Then upgrade when you need to... same as with computers! I don't use my 286,386,486,pent1,pent2, anymore! LOL
BUT I have been having LOTS of fun with each step and isn't that the POINT of it all!
There is always something better coming down the pike! But I'm trying to enjoy the journey!
I had korg m1,roland xp50,xp80, and now prs9000! So in 3 or 4 years I get a new one.
I expect that with computers and think of the MASSIVE amount of money Computer makers are putting into R&D ... Music companies can't compete. It's all going in the right direction ... but I guess too slow for some. I understand you are saying what you are saying to "speed up" the Music Industry and Educate the Buyers!
Leading Edge tech level is very expensive, I usually buy at upper middle of cycle!

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 10-12-2001).]

#164261 - 10/13/01 01:46 PM Re: PSR2000: more like PSR740 or PSR9000?
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
By todays technology, the Musical Keyboard should just be an INPUT device. It shouldn't need CPU, memory, floppy disk, hard disk, display screen, programming buttons or knobs, input ports, sound chip.

ALL of those things belong in the computer. It should be very easy to DOCK a portable PC into such a device.

That type of device could then ECXELL in expression knobs, a good row of big illuminated preset buttons, draw bars and ways to do some live percussion.

The cost of putting those goodies would easily be offset by removing all duplication mentioned before.

Yes, quality of sound would greatly improve. Pedals, speakers, everything would connect to a UBus or to a FireWire. With speakers now being 'powered type' wireless digital signals to them would mean no cables and much more liberty on placing speakers. No big cables to carry either.

#164262 - 10/13/01 03:44 PM Re: PSR2000: more like PSR740 or PSR9000?
rgtaa Offline

Great idea!
Sounds like something I would buy!

#164263 - 10/13/01 06:13 PM Re: PSR2000: more like PSR740 or PSR9000?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
This might be fine for a home or studio setup, but for live performance - forget it. The reliability of a PC is nowhere near where it has to be for a live performer to rely on. And besides, it is difficult enough to make the audience realize that it is you performing, and not just a karaoke. I would avoid at all costs being seen on stage with a regular computer. Another thing that live musicians think about is portability, and having to connect anything more than a power chord is a hassle (that's why the built-in speakers on the PSR2000 are so appealing to me).

Regards,
Alex

#164264 - 10/14/01 10:43 AM Re: PSR2000: more like PSR740 or PSR9000?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Jock,

My above post was in reply to MBL's comments:

By todays technology, the Musical Keyboard should just be an INPUT device. It shouldn't need CPU, memory, floppy disk, hard disk, display screen, programming buttons or knobs, input ports, sound chip.
ALL of those things belong in the computer. It should be very easy to DOCK a portable PC into such a device.

I take no issue with your point about lack of advance in packaging of synthesis technologies. Although I understand it from the point of view of keyboard makers (if I were them, I'd also want people to buy several high-end samplers and JV5080s with loads of expansion boards, rather than a single keyboard, however expandable), I would agree that the instruments today do not take full advantage of the technological advances of the computer industry. Having said that, I will contend that most high-end arranger keyboards have very realistic sounds, at least to my ears, and, in fact, at this point sound realism is a very subjective matter, determined more by your style of play, rather than the limitations of your instrument. In fact, I have no problem with the sound quality of my G1000, which is a generation older than the current high-end instruments (it is the usability that bugs me). If you want to record a truly realistic sound, you can just play real instruments on a multi-track (that is what you are doing anyway), and a number of us in this forum can play quite a number of band instruments (drums, bass, saxes, pianos, trumpet, guitar, etc.) - I myself have played a number of these semi-professionally. But let's face it, while half of your audience will be impressed with the realism of in dividual sounds, the other half would say it did not sound quite as well as the arranger keyboard's accompaniment. So the technology behind the sounds is only a partial measure of the end result, and the really professional musicians can put on a great show with a $100 Casio - just listen to Uncle Dave's recordings.

Regards,
Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K (edited 10-15-2001).]

#164265 - 10/14/01 01:53 PM Re: PSR2000: more like PSR740 or PSR9000?
rgtaa Offline

I feel like a have a "live" band with me when I play using the psr9000 Arranger Keyboard then when I play along with Sampler of prerecordered stuff. I can control chords,ect,and can play off it better. It feels more free and creative to me. When I hook up to the computer I lose that feeling, but I can understand that others can get it that way.
I know when I see others play that have computers on stage, I wonder if they are really playing, like at Church where I go, the song is playing and the "GUY" is faking playing the paino! SAD but TRUE!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online