SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#164009 - 10/14/03 04:35 PM The Open Synth is alive and well after all!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Well against my better judgement, I am actually intrigued by this keyboard -- a lot!

Imagine having the Native Instruments B4 Hammond Soft Synth running in this Baby?

Check it out
Al http://www.openlabs.com/neko.php

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 10-15-2003).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#164010 - 10/14/03 06:50 PM Re: The Open Synth is alive and well after all!
trtjazz Offline

kbkr,
That link goes to some sort of ink jet something or other.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#164011 - 10/15/03 08:14 AM Re: The Open Synth is alive and well after all!
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
This is the same company that gave us the eKo. They apparently are now calling it NEKO. Looks the same. Features seems to be the same as the eKo. Same machine, different name is all apparently. I went to the 'Store' to see if I could buy one. First off the top of the line 76 Key version is over $8,000 dollars. And if you notice the info on the 76 Key version shows a picture of the 61 Key version!??!?!? I didn't want to go through the rigamarole of "checking out" and giving all kinds of information when I don't want to really purchase it but I would guess that they are NOT in stock and there is probably NO 76 Key version available at all yet.

PS: This machine is in line with the Lionstrac MediaStation and the price point seems to be similar. Start saving now because the price is "sky high" IMO and it's going to take a boat load of money to get one.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Al, if you could edit your original post and delete that URL link in it, it would save members from having to scroll left to right to read the other posts in the thread. It's toooooooooooo long of a link and effects the page layout.

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 10-15-2003).]

#164012 - 10/15/03 11:06 AM Re: The Open Synth is alive and well after all!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hey Mike,

When do you expect shipment of this incredible, new machine?

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#164013 - 10/15/03 01:13 PM Re: The Open Synth is alive and well after all!
sbenno Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Idatrod:

PS: This machine is in line with the Lionstrac MediaStation and the price point seems to be similar. Start saving now because the price is "sky high" IMO and it's going to take a boat load of money to get one.

The difference between the two keyboards is integration and additional hardware (mixer, 172 dedicated buttons, builtin MIDI chips etc).
The Mediastation is an integrated keyboard (just like traditional keyboards) where you do not need to fiddle around with a mouse on a windows XP desktop.
Of course if you want to use it witha mouse and keyboard you can do so but you are not required to do so.
Just ask how many live players would prefer a windows desktop to a traditional keyboard user interfaces. (LCD, possibly large and lots of dedicated buttons, dials, sliders and knobs).

And ask them too how much they trust Windows in a live music enviroment.

I'd be curious about the result of such polls.
;-)

cheers,
Benno

#164014 - 10/15/03 01:53 PM Re: The Open Synth is alive and well after all!
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
It quotes a starting price of $2300?

Also, this is not an arranger keyboard; it's a synthesiser eg. the company compares it to Triton and Motif

#164015 - 10/15/03 05:32 PM Re: The Open Synth is alive and well after all!
sbenno Offline

some infos about the unpleaseant surprises that await you when running a 64bit AMD CPU on Windows:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,6,00.asp

In short you have 2 choices:
- stick with 32bit Windows and have your Ferrari CPU unable to switch gears past the 3rd out of 6 available.
Wait 2004 Q1 (I doubt billy boy will meet the deadline) for a crippled 64bit version of Windows: basically you it will require most drivers to be ported to 64bit even trivial stuff like joystick drivers.
This means lots of compatibility issues which will convince most of the Windows people to stick to their 32bit Windows.

Fortunately the Lionstracs Mediastation runs on Linux which is fully 64bit capable since years (it runs on dozen of CPU types).
I'll let you know about benchmark numbers I get out of LinuxSampler on a AMD 64bit CPUs in TRUE 64bit mode.
with sample sizes that can be up to
2^64=
18446744073709551616 samples which at 96kHz amount to 6093150 YEARS of sample length ;-)

cheers,
Benno http://www.linuxsampler.org

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online