SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#163761 - 08/16/02 05:46 AM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
It won't do that Tech. Unfortunately it's a conversion to yamaha format only ( and a great timesaver )

What you describe it the exact problem with playing Yamaha styles converted to PA80 format. The many Yamaha conversions for the the PA80 that were converted using an "auto" conversion program like EMC often suffer from the same malady because the PA80 wants styles made in C maj, not C maj 7 as Yamaha styles are made )

Fortunately, having XG works gives me a very simple work around for that. XG works plays any yamaha SFF style internally with all the chord transpositions available on Yamaha arrangers.. so I simply made a small midifile using a C maj chord for each style variation, then inserted it into the PA80 midi to style conversion tool. That's the easy ( and relatively quick ) part. The less easy part is using the Yamaha style data itself and then reassigning patches, banks, effects , pans.. etc etc.

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-16-2002).]

#163762 - 08/16/02 06:51 AM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
technicsplayer Offline

well, it sounds like this method would do for technics format too, for that uses C major (and you can use all the notes in the scale on every part, but obviously the B cannot be used as part of a chord, otherwise the calculation is upset with the result we see). But I got the impression the problem was somewhat random. I did note change in a pc sequencer, but the KN menu also has a note change editing option. Depends whether you have more notes or more control data to re-assign afterwards I suppose. Maybe the next version of EMC will incorporate an automatic solution...

#163763 - 08/16/02 08:01 AM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
Bluezplayer Offline

Tech

I agree... it would be great if a program like EMC addressed this. I could save quite a few steps myself when making a new korg style ( especially from Yamaha style data ). I'd gladly spend the bucks on EMC if it could do the conversions properly for me.

As far as random, I can only speak for the PA80. The Yamaha styles convert perfectly and all chords sound correct once I change ( or let XG works change ) the note data from C maj7 to C maj.

There are more steps ( and a bit more time involved )the way I do it with the programs I have, but it still pays for me to take the raw midi data ( of any chord origin ), convert it automatically in Michael's software ( it becomes a typical Yamaha Cmaj 7th based SFF ), and then if it's going back to the PA80, make c maj chords with the new yamaha SFF style inside of XG works, and finsih up the conversion in the PA80 style software. The PA80 itself allows for me to finish up the patch / bank changes and the rest of the midi CC work with relative ease ( for a KB sequencer )

Reading it from text here, it may sound like a lot of steps, ( it is ) but having done it both ways ( manually changing notes or letting the programs do it for me ), I can assure you that even with the added steps, it's easier than manually converting all the notes of a midifile. I am exploring other possiblities including looking to see if there are existing .cal scripts for Sonar ( or the possibiltiy of me making a .cal script ) that could mimic the note conversion in a way that Michael's program is able to do.

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-16-2002).]

#163764 - 08/16/02 10:44 AM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
technicsplayer Offline

the EMC has a module for getting technics styles out of midi files which works quite well, and there is also a disk that does the same job that you load into the keyboard memory, so you don't need a pc. Next time I might try calling the *.sty a *.mid and seeing if this software works any better on these new styles, since the software calculates the change to C major for you.

#163765 - 08/20/02 04:17 PM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I have previously owned Korg i3 & i30. Both of these require a Style in Cmaj7 NOT C. The Cmaj7 is required to trigger the accompaniment between C and adding the B in Cmaj7. Other wise you hear no difference when playing a 7th. Even the Korg Instruction book informs you of the Cmaj7 being required to make up a Korg Style.

If all manufactures followed the Yamaha method of producing Style Files as a Midi File we would not need a conversion program at all.

Graham UK

#163766 - 08/20/02 08:46 PM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
Bluezplayer Offline

That is true of the I 30 and I 3, but it is not true of the PA80. The notes are based on the C major scale, not Cmaj7. When you go to edit an internal style from the PA80, the key / chord icon will ask for notes in C maj, not Cmaj7.

The exception to this is when you load an I series style. The PA80 has an option that allows it to recognize and transpose the I series styles ( it is an option in the style record mode on the PA80 ).

Your post does however make me wonder if I could bring the note data from a Yamaha style into the PA80 without going through the step of converting it into a C maj based midifile in XG. XG works will also open and play .sty files. I can easily save them as type 0 midifiles. If the "I" series option on the PA80 allows me to recognize C maj7th based styles, I could possibly save a step in the conversion process.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-20-2002).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online