SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163751 - 08/14/02 11:08 PM Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I have the Yamaha PSR2000. I have downloaded styles from all the main sites. The problem is when I find something I like, half the time there is discord. Very common is to play a 7th chord and one or more of the accompaniement patterns clash. If I play G7, the note I hear is a C#. I just tried a new one tonight where I play Dm7 and the most predominant note is Bb!!!!!

What's going on here? Is this the state of the art? I am most interested in getting additional good swing and jazz styles. The initial excitement of downloading free styles is really about gone for me. Brian Miles has no plans to convert the PA80 styles which are the ones I would really love to have. I contacted EMC to see how the program was going for a PA80 to PSR2000 conversion and asked him if this problem is the state of the art or what. I don't think it's my keyboard.

Any ideas or input welcome.

Scott Langholff

#163752 - 08/15/02 12:10 AM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I agree with your findings regarding style conversions. The Technics Styles convert well to my Roland, but poorly to my Yamaha. All style conversions are a compromise and all require tweaking in some form if they are to be useful at all.
I have now stopped downloading converted styles for my 9000PRO. It is more successful to change the supplied styles plus all the PSR2000 & CVP Styles work very well in the 9000 most of the time.

Graham UK

#163753 - 08/15/02 12:39 AM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I have not done any style creating or altering as of yet on the 2000. I have done it on my KN1000.

I wonder if I take a bad download and re-do the offending accompaniment part(s) if this would work, or if the same problem would arise in the re-make.

I usually just like to play and not be button tech, but I know what I like and I'm willing to do something to accomplish it.

#163754 - 08/15/02 01:43 AM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
technicsplayer Offline

the problem is with the latest yamaha format. I did the entire VA7 and X1 libraries with no problems, Korg, Gem and Wersi too. The psr2000 and cvp209 libraries came out with random bum notes. The only way to fix it is to go through each accompaniment and edit the base pattern.

#163755 - 08/15/02 02:28 AM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
There is another way.. simper and easier. Download Michael P Bedesem's "stylemaker " program. It has a function in it that can automatically changes all notes of a midi file or existing style to the correct notes ( Cmaj7) for a style.

You can find his program at the SVP world site ( it's freeware ). Go to http://www.svpworld.com

AJ

#163756 - 08/15/02 04:00 AM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
technicsplayer Offline

that does not help converting from yamaha to other formats...

#163757 - 08/15/02 02:45 PM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
technicsplayer. Re-PSR2000 & CVP Styles.You are correct, it is usually the bass part that produces a bad sound when playing a 7th chord. In fact I have looked into this and the bass voice changes to a brass voice on a 7th chord. I have re-voiced these with success. The other method is to delete the System Excusive messages using Cakewalk.

Graham UK

#163758 - 08/15/02 03:49 PM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
technicsplayer Offline

I found otherwise, the bass is OK generally, the problem is that C plays as E minor, and if you play C minor you get Eb major. Playing minor gets you the relative major i.e E minor gets G major. Therefore the C maj 7 accomp is not being converted to the required C major properly.

The bass problem is different; many patterns have a root and fifth, with the fifth a fourth below the root. The pitch point of these come out as E, which is correct if you don't play below C, since E is the normal lowest note of a bass guitar or double bass. But if you play E you have a B playing, a fourth below the lowest bass note and it starts to rumble too much. The pitch point is better moved to A to avoid this problem.

#163759 - 08/15/02 08:49 PM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
that does not help converting from yamaha to other formats...

Right.. But it certainly DOES help when conveting ANY style to Yamaha format, including the 2000 ( wasn't that the original question ? ). I had both boards at the time and I successfully converted PA80 styles to PSr2000 format. I Used the PA80 style conversion program to convert to mid format and then Michael's program along with my software sequencer ( XG works at the time I was doing it ) and it worked like a charm every time. Without converting through Michalels' program the Korg style would not play properly on the 2000. Notes in the wrong keys galore depending on the Chords used ( 7th chords maj and min were particularly ofensive )

Sure, I could have done it through a sequencer manually and placed the notes in the proper keys.. but when you start talking about converting 20 , 30 styles ( or more ), that's a heck of a lot of extra work.

As far as the PA80 styles being posted, I converted a few myself and posted them at the PSR style site. I had conversation with a Korg rep who voiced his objection to it.

I cannot say whether or not the situation would have gone the same route as it did for Bob Gelman's site when Yamaha objected to the posting of their current styles, and eventually lawyers became involved on Yamaha's behalf, but I have no desire to go "there" and test the waters, so I am no longer willing to post PA80 conversions publicly.

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-15-2002).]

#163760 - 08/16/02 05:23 AM Re: Style conversion downloads clash. WHY?
technicsplayer Offline

I never said it wouldn't help converting to yamaha, I talked of converting from yamaha. There appears to be a difference between 2000 and cvp209 (maybe the session or otp styles?) and previous yamaha format. I converted the entire 9000 and 9000pro archives with little problem, also previous yamaha 8000, 7000 etc etc. If this program can be used to remove C maj 7 and leave C major (the reverse of what you describe) it could be useful converting from yamaha too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online