SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#163516 - 03/09/06 09:52 AM Full blown piano or arranger
dazart Offline

Loc: England
I've been learning classical piano for 5 years and progressing very well,and I have always had an arranger by the side which as been the Psr 3000 in the recent year.

I've played the arranger for the last 11 years.I've always had plenty of time to practice both piano on my Hp-107 and arranger on the 3000.

The problem now Im facing will be not having the time to do both,so im left to wonder which one will give,time will only tell.

Is there anybody here who had to choose the arranger style of playing preferably over the piano style of playing and why?

Regards
Daz

#163517 - 03/09/06 12:13 PM Re: Full blown piano or arranger
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
It is possible to play the arranger in full keyboard mode and trigger the arranger's chords (unfortunately the PSR3000 only has 61 notes), but I don't think that is your question. This is a question that only you can answer. If I had to make a choice between an arranger or a piano, I would choose the arranger hands down. I can play piano on the arranger, but I won't have a full backup band on the piano. After an hour of practicing in piano mode, I like to turn on the arranger and just play.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-09-2006).]

#163518 - 03/09/06 01:03 PM Re: Full blown piano or arranger
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
I humbly suggest 2 options:

1) Keep them both. If you get rid of one, someday you will regret it.

2) Sell them both and get either a Clavinova CVP 3XX or a Roland KRXX and you will have the best of both worlds whenever you want.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#163519 - 03/09/06 02:29 PM Re: Full blown piano or arranger
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Daz,
if possible, I'd keep them both. One day you may definately regret selling one or the other.
I go through phases, sometimes I play a bit of solo piano, most of the time I play piano with arranger midied to it.

Best of both worlds, piano with accompaniment.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 03-09-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#163520 - 03/09/06 04:15 PM Re: Full blown piano or arranger
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
The problem now Im facing will be not having the time to do both,so im left to wonder which one will give,time will only tell.

Is there anybody here who had to choose the arranger style of playing preferably over the piano style of playing and why?

Daz, About 60% of my training was classically based piano. I will tell you this I let a lot of my piano technique especially left hand work go when I bought my Clavinova CVP 107. At times I get frustrated because that left hand just doesn't play the way it use to, it got lazy just playing chords in the left hand. But I'm having more fun playing the arranger board and making lots more music. I'm short on time too, but try to take at least 2 hours per week working on some piano technique, so that I don't lose everything I worked for in the technique department. I use the Hannon series of books because they seem to give the best results with the least amount of time spent working on technique. Good luck and keep both instruments if you can. I use a PSR3000 for gigs and a Clavinova CVP 307 for home.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 03-09-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online