SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163428 - 12/15/00 04:32 PM How can I create MP3 files from MiniDisc Recordings?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi All,
I just got my new Aiwa AM-C80 MiniDisc Recorder yesterday and tried it out for the first time today. WOW, I really "LOVE IT"! I was amazed 'how small' and 'lightweight' this device is. I recorded a sample of my music (vocals with Technics KN5000 played live) and was immediately impressed with both the fantastic sound (near CD) quality and it's ease of operation.

I particularly like the 'illuminated blue LCD display' on the base unit itself, which makes it SO EASY to view, especially during onstage performance. It also comes with an illuminated remote control unit but for gig recording, I don't think I will need it because the tiny Aiwa can easily sit right on the keyboard for quick "ilumminated" viewing and easy access to its' control buttons.

I now want to share a sample of my music (my vocals along with KN5000 Keyboard playing) with you (my friends) on this forum. To do this, I need to convert my Minidisc songs into MP3 files. Can you guys please recommend the best way to do this?

I have the analog 'audio out (stereo)' on my MiniDisc Recorder connected to the analog 'audio in (stereo)' on my PC (Hewlett Packard Pavilion 6630). I asume that I need to create a WAV file first and then create an MP3 file from this. True? Is there a single software program which can perform both of these functions? I would appreciate help and and assistance with this. What software program(s) are recommended for both creating a WAV file as well as creating MP3 files? All help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Scott

#163429 - 12/15/00 04:45 PM Re: How can I create MP3 files from MiniDisc Recordings?
Roel Offline

Hi Scott.

There are many, many programs that can record- and make MP3's.
I use the great Sonic Foundry SOUNDFORGE because it is soo easy to 'master' your music.
Some features :
Fade INs and outs, mute, cut, normalize, noise-removal AND save as MP3 !!.

Just record your music on your harddisk, make it 100% professional quality and save as MP3..... SOUNDFORGE

Another one is CoolEdit2000 .... great too !

Roel

#163430 - 12/15/00 05:32 PM Re: How can I create MP3 files from MiniDisc Recordings?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott,
Sound Forge is probably the program of choice, but I am into "free". I downloaded Total Recorder and MPEG Suite. The recorder works great to create the wav file. Then MPEG Suite converts it to the proper format. Sounds great on my computer, but I'm still having trouble getting the MP3 (ANY MP3) to play on my web site.
I just looked at the newest version of Powertracks Pro, and it seems to support these functions now also. I may blow $19.95 for the upgrade. It is a great sequencer program for very little money.
Gotta run--another night, another party.
DonM

#163431 - 12/15/00 07:15 PM Re: How can I create MP3 files from MiniDisc Recordings?
Scottyee Offline

Roel,
What specific version (4.5?) of SoundForge are you using? Is it the full version or streamlined XP version? I don't mind spending (a little) money if the software has enough worth while audio editing features and is also "EASY TO USE" (user friendly). I'm now trying to decide between the streamlined budget version of SoundForge, "SoundForge XP vers 4.5" or the streamlined budget version of Cool Edit Pro, "Cool Edit 2000 vers 1.1". I know that "Cool Edit 2000" allows you to record/edit your incoming audio file and then save it as an MP3 file. Does "SoundForge XP vers 4.5" support saving as an MP3 file as well? Will both "SoundForge XP vers 4.5" and "Cool Edit 2000 vers 1.1" also allow you to load/edit existing MP3 files? I realize both of these programs can be downloaded from the internet.

SoundForge - Price: $41.97 US dollars http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/NewShowProduct.asp?PID=6

Cool Edit 2000 - Price: $69.00 US dollars http://www.syntrillium.com/cooledit/

Interested in getting more detailed feedback/comparison between these two products. Thanks again.

- Scott

#163432 - 12/15/00 07:27 PM Re: How can I create MP3 files from MiniDisc Recordings?
Scottyee Offline

Don,

Can you please provide the website address for 'Total Recorder' and 'MPEG Suite'? Are these programs "100%" free? Are you able to do any editing or add EFX in Total Recorder or MPEG Suite?

I realize what a busy gig time of year this is for us and I appreciate that you took a few minutes of your time to post your feedback. In fact, I'm (almost) late for my Xmas party gig tonight as well. I guess I'd better hurry off too. See ya soon.

- Scott

#163433 - 12/15/00 09:21 PM Re: How can I create MP3 files from MiniDisc Recordings?
Dnj Offline

scott,
I was interested in doing the same thing as you, making and sharing MP3's somehow with other Arranger people. I too need to learn how to do it in the easiest way. I hope you don't need a masters degree in audio engineering to do it also :>)keep us abreast of your progress. Got to run, just a week and a half of daily double gigs to go :>) man I love it!!!

Donny NJ

#163434 - 12/16/00 12:18 AM Re: How can I create MP3 files from MiniDisc Recordings?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott,
Total Recorder costs $11.95 for the registered version. You can download trial version but the recording time is limited. The address is: http://www.highcriteria.com/download/totrec30b.exe
MPEG Suite is totally free. I sent you a copy. It is no longer supported by the people who created it, so you may find something better, but it works fine for converting MP3 to wav and vice versa.
Time for a nap!
DonM

#163435 - 12/16/00 04:19 AM Re: How can I create MP3 files from MiniDisc Recordings?
Clif Anderson Offline

I will be interested in "hearing" how perceptible the degradation in fidelity will be when the Atrac compression is expanded and then recompressed to MP3. I expect the degradation to be audible, but it might not be objectionable. Adding effects could aggravate or mask the degradation, depending on what effects are used.

This concern applies to mididisc recordings using Atrac compression. There are also minidiscs that record without compression to a "data" format. However, I do not think these come in the convenient form factors.

#163436 - 12/16/00 07:07 AM Re: How can I create MP3 files from MiniDisc Recordings?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Scott,
A friend from Australia sent me a copy of a program called Wav Lab. I hook the Mini Disc to the Mic-in on the sound card. Push play on the mini disk and push record on the Wav Lab software on the computer. Then I can delete all of the in-between song noise and highlight what I want and copy it to Easy CD Creator one song at a time and keep adding songs until I have enough songs to fill a CD like I sent to you.
Boo

#163437 - 12/16/00 11:27 PM Re: How can I create MP3 files from MiniDisc Recordings?
Scottyee Offline

DonM, Donny, Boo, Roel, Clif, Fran Carango, and ALL:

Thanks to everyone for your valuable input in guiding me towards deciding on the best PC software for recording MiniDisc audio to the PC for editing and then converting to either WAV (CD) or MP3 files. All the suggestions given sound like viable alternatives.

Answers to Questions I had asked earlier in this thread:

To gain the ability to create an 'unlimited' number of MP3 files in Sound Forge XP 4.5, you need to purchase an additional "MP3 Save" add-on plug-in (approx $20).

"Recording time limitaion of evalutation version of "Total Recorder" is 40 seconds. "Total Recorder" 2.2 does not include post editing or EFX processing features. Cost for registered version which includes unlimited recording time is $11.95 US dollars. www.highcriteria.com

Some more Questions:

Does "Music Match Jukebox 6.0" now support live recording from external audio source (records, tapes, minidisc, CD) into PC and saving it to either an MP3 file or WAV file? Is this feature supported in the FREE version of the program? Does Music Match Jukebox 6.0 include post editing or EFX features?

Does Wavelab allow you to save your file as an MP3 file or do you need an additional program to convert the WAV file to an MP3 file?

Also looking to hear feedback from users of "Cool Edit 2000" and "Cool Edit Pro". How easy is it to use vs. "Sound Forge Xp" or "Sound Forge"?

Anyone here use or heard of "GoldWave"? Check it out here: http://www.goldwave.com/

I look forward to receiving more feedback on the subject of audio recording/editing and MP3/WAV conversion softwawre.

Thanks again,
- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-17-2000).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online