SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#162998 - 09/16/04 08:55 AM Need New Keyboard Advise
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Well, brothers (& sisters)...

Here's my dilemma; I want to upgrade my keyboard situation, but don't know which way to go. Bottom line: I sing to midi files more that anything else, and love the Yamaha sounds/keyboards (albeit not the feel! Ugh!).

1) Do I go for a PSR 3000?

2) Is there an 88 key Yamaha with piano feel (PSR 9000?) with the same/better sounds as my PSR2000 (which I still think is awesome, no matter what)?

3) Should I get an 88 key midi slave hookup so I can use the PSR's sounds, but have that real piano feel?

4) Should I just stand pat?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Angelo

[This message has been edited by cam8neel (edited 09-16-2004).]

#162999 - 09/16/04 09:34 AM Re: Need New Keyboard Advise
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Angelooooooo How you doin' bro??? Hope all is well ... Ready to upgrade, eh ... well you know you've opened a can with that question ... 88 keys?!? .. going to be a real piano player again?!? ... got a roadie???
But, you know the drill ... go to Luca's, Avery, et al, even some of the shops in CT (Caruso) or around Boston ... see, play, listen, and then when you have specific questions on some, the board residents will be HAPPY to share their learned knowledge ... Good luck and keep me posted on your search ...
PS ... where are you playing these days?
t.

#163000 - 09/16/04 09:37 AM Re: Need New Keyboard Advise
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
PPS . you know I love 'technics' but with their recent business decisions that's probably NOT the way to go ....
t.

#163001 - 09/16/04 07:35 PM Re: Need New Keyboard Advise
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I just upgraded form the 2000 to the 3000. I use the keyboards mainly as a sound module for midi files. On the 3000 you're going to miss some of the dedicated buttons that were on the front of the 2000 and now must be aaccessed through menus on the 3000. Such as dsp variation, talk button.
The sounds are better on the 3000 but it wasn't, in my opinion, a real big difference.
But the conectivity with the usb and the smart media, to finally be able to get rid of floppy disks that made it all worth while to me,
I've only had the board for about a week so I guess I haven't used it enough to really appreiate it. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful board aand I'm glad I got it and look forward to getting to know it better.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#163002 - 09/16/04 07:48 PM Re: Need New Keyboard Advise
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Angelo,

The 3000 is a big step up from the 2000, however, as stated, you will miss some of the buttons.

As for storage, ease of use, weight, sounds, styles, I sincerely believe that it is right up there with the Tyros, with the added benefit of having speakers and lightning fast USB and Smart Media access to styles, midi files and registrations.

To me, it's still unconcievable that a keyboard with all these features can cost so little. Thanks for another winner Yamaha.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online