SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#162869 - 09/01/04 12:48 PM Professional Association
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I really think it is time for our group to form some kind of professional association. That way our get togethers like the SynthJam we had last May and future ones like January and April could be sponsored by our association and become tax deductable. Also to guarantee that our beloved forum continues, tax deductable contributions could be funneled through the association to Nigel.

I realize that not everyone plays professionally and the forum is international in nature but the US/IRS is even getting us part timers. Practically everything we do on this forum and at the jams can legally be related to our business as musicians.

I don't want to spoil our family/forum with any changes. What I'm saying could be an adjunct to the forum.

Any ideas out there?

Tom

Tom

#162870 - 09/01/04 12:54 PM Re: Professional Association
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great idea!
DonM

#162871 - 09/01/04 02:58 PM Re: Professional Association
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
President Tom Cavanaugh. Has a nice ring to it, huh?
Eddie

#162872 - 09/01/04 03:17 PM Re: Professional Association
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tom...

What you're suggesting would probably require registration as a non-profit, with the associated government involvement...not a big thing, but a consideration.

Nigel dosn't need any additional work, but what about a related monthly fee website. Members whould get additional benefits...free
listings of used equipment for sale...access to new product reviews and the chance to review new products...a listing of performance schedules and bio's of members, along with associated marketing materials,
performance tips, interviews and photos of prominent members, etc.

Fees generated would be used to offset Nigel's costs, to pay for creation of the website, perhaps to buy additional content, etc.

If there is an interest, someone should get input from interested members, set a monthly fee, prepare a business plan, including costs, content, etc.

I'd be interested in participating and helping organize the effort.

Again, a good idea but in no way a suggestion that anything should be creatted to replace what we all rely on and enjoy.

Russ

#162873 - 09/01/04 04:29 PM Re: Professional Association
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tom,

The trip is already tax deductable--just as long as it pertains to your musical education. This trip will definitely be a real education for all who attend.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162874 - 09/02/04 05:57 AM Re: Professional Association
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Gary,

Anything is deductable until you appear for the audit. Without any registration form, agenda, sponsoring organization or other documentation the auditor would kick that out faster than Don can eat crawdads.

Tom

Tom

#162875 - 09/02/04 06:29 AM Re: Professional Association
Dnj Offline

Oh man, can't we just make this a fun trip? I just wanna meet Don M & Hank the Lurker and play music. I hope the idea of this trip is not taking a wrong turn with all this tax talk stuff.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-02-2004).]

#162876 - 09/02/04 07:40 AM Re: Professional Association
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

As John Lennon said "A splendid time is guaranteed for all And tonight Mr. Kite is topping the bill."

We will have a great time it's just that I have an even better time when my good Uncle Sam is helping to pay the bill.

Tom

#162877 - 09/02/04 10:25 AM Re: Professional Association
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tom,

If you have a copy of Turbo-Tax Deluxe you'll find where these trips are deductable if certain criteria is met. I always make sure that I meet those specifications, plus! My ultimate goal in life is to pay $1-million in income tax from year's gross income. That will be one hell of a year.

BTW: I have been audited once in my life, and when I mailed all the paperwork in to the auditor, two months went by and they sent a post card back saying "Thank you for your cooperation. No farther documentation is necessary." I claim every penny I make, but I always take every legal deduction as well.

Yes, you can have fun and still be working--that's why they call this the "Entertainment Business."

See you in Bosier City, LA,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162878 - 09/02/04 12:17 PM Re: Professional Association
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Gary,

Wait till you see how fast Don can eat those crawdads.

Tom

Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online