SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#162668 - 10/06/05 07:56 AM Re: Casio WK Improvements
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Exceptionally well put...the target market is fond of instruments like these.
And yes,to a pro (or discerning player),it is a disappointment that certain features,like a more workable accompaniment system are left off.
What a bargain this would be,not to mention 76 notes and a light weight.One can only hope that they add the uprated chord system in the future...but probably not.
If they did,it sure would give a big scare to the other manufacturers.
Ian

#162669 - 10/06/05 09:25 AM Re: Casio WK Improvements
casiobot Offline

I think Casio at some point should rally to produce an instrument that falls somewhere between the WK's and the lone MZ,in terms of the feature set.I guess I'm just imagining the ultimate rompler,with a proper sequencer and the ability to load 3rd party sounds,and not just from the Casio Music Website.96 poly(a good compromise between 64 and 128) and a pair of stereo auxilary outs.

#162670 - 10/06/05 09:52 AM Re: Casio WK Improvements
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by acoustictones:
How about making a WK Rack?!?!?!?!?!? Include all of the features of the WK-3700, but without the floppy, and I would bet they could sell a ton of them for the same price that the WK-3700 is selling for (about $300-400). But I would think they could do it for less due to the fact that there are NO speakers and NO keys...how much would it really cost? How many would by it for say $249? The organ sims along are worth that to me.

Casio did make a module way back in 1989 called the CSM-1,essentially a CT-640 in a box.It wasn't an outrageous success,but it was a useful device offering 4 part multi-timbral,10note poly and rhythms and an extremely user friendly interface.
An updated version of this,one of Casio's best kept secrets,would be nice.
Ian

#162671 - 10/06/05 02:56 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, that is why myself and others play left hand bass[songs like Whiter shade of pale]..

My primary keyboard has bass inversion[slash/bass]..but for intricate bass lines as well as walking bass we prefer playing the bass line and comp with the right hand..
In this respect the Casio WK3000 works fine..
BTW, if I recall Casio had a module[tabletop] in 1985-86, based on the CT8000..[it may have been an CT800]..

#162672 - 10/06/05 07:04 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I think what you have to really look at here is what the 3200/3700 offer for the money. Break it down like this. The WK-3000/3500 were and still are great keyboards (great leap for Casio compared to previous models). Casio also doesn't aim for the professional. Can they make a killer arranger? Yes they can and did in back in 2000. It was the MZ-2000. That board had MANY features above the PSR-740, and blew it out of the water in these areas too. The market wasn't ready for the MZ-2000. It cost over $1,000. Just imagine a Casio back in the year 2000 costing over $1,000. I honestly think the MZ was a test for Casio to see how the public would take to it. Many pros looked at it said WOW, then saw the name of the maker and laughed at the thing. That board was WAY ahead of every Casio that was ever built. The operating system would have the typical Casio buyer putting a gun to their head. It had big learning curve for those not familiar with keyboards (which many buyers of Casio's aren't, which is why Casio is known for being someone's first)

Here's the problem. Casio has ALWAYS been known for that affordable (first) keyboard. We knock on them for this and other things, but Casio sells a CRAP LOAD of keyboards regardless. Why? because they're cheap, easy to use, and their EVERYWHERE. I know Casio makes a killing because when I used to manage a music store we also sold Casios. When Christmas rolled around I couldn't keep them on the shelves.

The new WK 3200/3700 line offers SO much for the money. You get awsome sounds (as stated by other the whole board sounds better than the previous models), basic voice editing, drawbar organs, good quality pitch and mod wheels (above the quality of the PSR-3000), good speakers, smart media and floppy storage, L/R output, 6 track recording, slots for loading new styles, and the list goes on. Who cares if their isn't a 16 track sequencer. It would be nice to have, but it's not worth griping about in my opinion. Beside a simple program like Cakewalk makes your Casio seem like a new board. Especially if you have the good instrument definitions. With Cakewalk and other programs you can do loop recording, pattern chaining and all that other good stuff.

I think it's good Casio doesn't go overboard on the features. They have to keep these boards simple because they are often bought as a first keyboard for someone. They have to keep the user interface as simple as they can.

I think you just have to give it time. We'll eventually see a WK with more tracks for recording. Also keep in mind that often when new features are added, they typically drop some of the less popular features (that we seasoned players) would use, and a mediocre player wouldn't. Here's a good example. We all love the new WK's with all their added features, but there is ONE feature that is important to many of us that they did drop. The previous WK's allowed you to record user styles. This feature was dropped on the new WK's.

What amazes me is that Casio completely improved the 3200/3700 and didn't charge ONE PENNY MORE. That alone says a lot. Hell Yamaha and others could take a lesson from that.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#162673 - 10/06/05 08:29 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by acoustictones:
How about making a WK Rack?!?!?!?!?!? Include all of the features of the WK-3700, but without the floppy [...] How many would by it for say $249? The organ sims along are worth that to me.

Unless a rack-sized unit is mandatory, Casio already has a less-expensive model with the same sounds as the 3700, but minus the floppy drive, SmartMedia card, modulation wheel, and line outputs (the headphone jack could be used). The 61-key CTK-900 retails for around $200. The MIDI implementation of the CTK-900 and WK-3200/3700 is the same. http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/ctk900/

--Barry

#162674 - 10/09/05 11:57 AM Re: Casio WK Improvements
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Quote:
Originally posted by casiobot:
Linda,if you would...
What do the flutes,brass(solo trumpet and ensemble)french horn and timpani sound like?
These sounds are the tie-breakers for me because I do a lot of soundtrack work.

Here's a real deal maker:Has Casio finally taken up Yamahas lead and made a snare drum roll sound available? It's a little hard trying to roll *even* two matching snares.
I would assume that Casio is not too proud to keep pace with the competition in some areas.

Casio at one time did do gongs(CT-655)if memory serves...

Casiobot,

I played with the brass the other night for hours. I had so much fun working with the French Horn tone. I am so impressed with these sounds. There are two different flutes. One sounds more breathy than the other. The effects on them are very impressive. Also, the sax of course is really terrific. I like the acoustic guitar tones as well.

I have not tried out all the drum kits yet. I will see if there is a snare drum roll but I doubt it. I will report back. Is it possible to create one from a sample sound?

BTW, the WK-3500 is still up for sale. Email me if anhyone is interested.

Thanks so much,

-Linda

#162675 - 10/09/05 01:38 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
casiobot Offline

Wow! Thank you Linda,looks like I'm in as soon as Sams Club or Costco bothers to get some stock...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online