SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#162658 - 10/05/05 05:37 AM Re: Casio WK Improvements
kdistefano Offline

casio has now posted the WK3200/3700 manuals on their japanese web site: http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/emi/en/wk_3200_3700/wk_3200_3700_e.pdf

it looks to me like casio has kept most of the old sounds and added or replaced a few with "more advanced" tones. The acustic drum sounds have also been updated. As well as about 20 more arrangement patterns.

all in all i'm not sure if this is enough to get me to upgrade. guess i'll have to make a trip down to the local gear shop to find out. =)

#162659 - 10/05/05 09:09 AM Re: Casio WK Improvements
casiobot Offline

I think that would be "old sounds" by name only,but I would like to think that those "old sounds" have been improved for the 3700.
One thing that I noticed about the 3500's timpani over the timpani in my venerated WK-1350,is that it was rounder and "plummier".The timpani in the 1350,though usable(and ultimately,I got used to it) sounded more like a wet paper bag.
What I'm getting at is,it might have the "same old patch name" but hopefully,the ZPI sound has been improved yet once again over the 3500.

#162660 - 10/05/05 03:17 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
kdistefano,

Yes, the WK3700 sounds better than the WK3500. I have them side by side and have played most of the tones on each just to check. Big differences are that the WK-3700 sounds so much fuller. The sax alone is so much much better than the WK-3500 as is the piano tones. The organ sounds are much fuller sounding. If they were not better, I would have sent the WK-3700 back already ha-ha. I believe George Kaye mentioned this improved sound quality in a previous thread about the new board. Even though the names of some tones are the same on both boards the sound is better on the WK-3700. It appears they have been re-worked but there is a significant difference in my opinion.

-Linda

#162661 - 10/05/05 05:55 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Casio will never reach the professional arranger player until it allows for the use of "on bass" or "slash" chords while in split keyboard.The fingering mode is far too limiting.Beginner and amateur players would benefit from this feature,too.
Ian

#162662 - 10/05/05 06:21 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
kdistefano Offline

Linda,

Thanks for the info! Well I'll be sure to check it out for myself this weekend. If it's an overall sound upgrade like you said (and not just a few new 'advanced' tones) i'll probably be interested in upgrading.

Ken

#162663 - 10/05/05 07:31 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
Dnj Offline

WK3700 is a great value for sure....for the price is absolutley hard to beat.
I played one last week in the store and was very impressed, especialy the organ/leslie and piano...76 keys also!

#162664 - 10/05/05 08:28 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian,I know of at least 3 "Pros" using WK3000's, and two others that are going to get a WK...The main incentive is a light backup, but all are impressed with the organ drawbars and pianos..
BTW, each of the Pros own 1/SD1...2/PAx1...3/G1000[me].....and soon to be: 4/PSR3000...

The Casio WK can not beat out any of the above boards, but sounds for the price in a lightweight package and 76 keys...$ for $ it may beat out all of the above..

Don't get me wrong ...No one is going to dump a G1000,SD1, PAx1 or even a PSR3000 for the WK....[well maybe the PSR]..

#162665 - 10/05/05 09:51 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
casiobot Offline

Linda,if you would...
What do the flutes,brass(solo trumpet and ensemble)french horn and timpani sound like?
These sounds are the tie-breakers for me because I do a lot of soundtrack work.

Here's a real deal maker:Has Casio finally taken up Yamahas lead and made a snare drum roll sound available? It's a little hard trying to roll *even* two matching snares.
I would assume that Casio is not too proud to keep pace with the competition in some areas.

Casio at one time did do gongs(CT-655)if memory serves...

#162666 - 10/05/05 11:16 PM Re: Casio WK Improvements
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Fran,
I shouldn't have used the word "pro" because the only difference between a "pro" and an amateur is the fact that the "pro" gets paid.
"Whiter Shade of Pale" and dozens of other songs that use "on bass" chords would sound pretty lame without them...Casio has never upgraded their inferior chord system to suit the player who prefers to play the chords the song was written with and not have to substitute improper ones.
Saving money is one thing,lighter weight is another,but in my opinion,they mean nothing if you are unable to duplicate the proper song chords.
Sometimes the porridge is too hot(Korg)sometimes too cold (G1000)and sometimes it is just right(PSR-3000)but the poor Casio doesn't belong at the same table until they ditch the ancient Casio chord system so the music can be played as it is written.
It's a real shame, as Casio do have an exceptional "bang for the buck" with great sounds and clever features...with a more realistic chord system I'd be more than glad to use one,but;until they do...
Ian

#162667 - 10/06/05 07:35 AM Re: Casio WK Improvements
kdistefano Offline

I agree with trident on all these issues. You have to look at what casio is trying to accomplish, and what the target market is for these keyboards. You can't forget that we're talking about a sub $300 (3000/3200) keyboard here. And the sound quality that casio has brought to that price point is unbeatable. So a lot of the 'pros' are drawn to it because of the sound, but then are unhappy when they find it doesn't have the features they expect to find on $1000+ models. Do you really think that a beginner is interested in 16 track recording and pattern sequencing? Well, maybe they are in theory. But my guess is that 95% of the people who buy these keyboards never get past playing through the tones and -maybe- get into some of the rhythm/arrangement features. Do you think most of them even know what slash chord in split mode means? No at this price point it's the sound (and big speakers and fancy blue display) that get people to buy. And in my mind casio has succeeded with flying colors.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online