Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#162552 - 12/18/01 11:35 AM Re: PSR2000 harmonizer bug
Beakybird Offline

With floppy styles you can

Creat OTSs and resave the style
Create registrations with voices appropriate for that style of music
Create registrations with preset and user styles including voices appropriate for a certain style of music. Then you can use the FREEZE function so that the style doesn't change when you press it. The only downside is that the left voice gets frozen too.

Larry

#162553 - 12/18/01 11:50 AM Re: PSR2000 harmonizer bug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe I am freaking out...but the whole registration thing is very confusing and the manual has not been much help. Now I am thinking two sets of registration banks would be helpful...one for styles, another for voices. I understand what you are saying about the Freeze...but jeez, on a job, there is plenty to think about without trying to remember all the intracacies of the registration panels.

Memory Registrations do a bunch for only 8 buttons, but it is mind-blowing toggling back and forth between presets, user and floppy, styles, voices, ots, saving this to that, copying, pasting, folders and files. I had such a mess going, I reverted everything back to factory and am starting over. Now the pages of the manual are falling out. LOL

The solution seems to be experiment and find what works best for YOU. I'm still looking. It all kinda makes the 740 a walk in the park.

#162554 - 12/18/01 03:16 PM Re: PSR2000 harmonizer bug
Beakybird Offline

If you have styles associated with a registration, and you're in another style, you merely DON'T TOUCH the registration buttons if the FREEZE light isn't on.
Look: You can set up one registration button only, and you are ready to gig. Just set up one registration button with your global preferences. Turn on the keyboard and load that registration. Now the mic reverb, harmony settings, and everything else is where you want it.
Create OTSs for your favorite floppy styles for which OTSs don't exist. If you use that style for only one song, save the style at the desired tempo.
For my Christmas gigs, I have all of my favorite Xmas styles on one floppy. Each style is named after the song and set at the desired tempo. Each style has four OTSs perfectly suited for that song. All I need to do is pull up the style, transpose if necessary, press an OTS, and start playing. It's easy as pie. I don't even use registrations, except to configure my global preferences. At some point I'll start using the registrations for voices, I don't need them for styles.
For preset styles, you can either save them to a floppy or as USER styles at your desired tempo, or pull them up, quickly set the tempo and the transpose if necessary and away you go. The advantage of saving the style to floppy or user memory is that you can create a custom OTS.
If you prepare your keyboard and your style floppy well before you gig, you really don't have to do that much while you're playing.
The only reason why the PSR740 is a walk in the park is that there isn't much you can do with it. You can't create your own OTSs or more than three USER styles, and you can't access the registrations easily so most people wouldn't use them.
The only major disadvantage I experience with the PSR2000 is when I want to get that simple intro in the middle of a song. I have to be in the main screen and press two buttons before I press INTRO on the PSR2000.
It takes a little bit of learning to get used to anything new, and I also felt a bit attached to my PSR740 when I first started, but now that I'm up and running with the PSR2000, and I see the way my clients respond to the music, I'd almost feel embarrassed to perform with the PSR740 now - especially because the mic output is so superior on the PSR2000.

Larry

#162555 - 12/18/01 07:51 PM Re: PSR2000 harmonizer bug
Anonymous
Unregistered

Larry...
I am glad you have found a way to set up the 2000 that satisfies you..and it does sound like a workable system for you. A little more complex for me, as I will explain.

I was under the impression that as many as 250 registrations(style, tempo and key changes) could be saved to one disk.

Why is that important to me? I sometimes work as a single..and, other times, as a duo with one of two girl singers I use. Each of us sing many of the same songs, but in different keys, and sometimes even different tempos. It is impossible to remember who sings what in which key. With the 740 I made disks for each of us and have a master list of songs with the registration number next to each song. For voices, if I want more than the OTS a style provides, I program two I like into the Right and Left, adjust the volumes, tweak, etc and save it to the song's registration. That gives me my two, plus the 4 in OTS. Plus I have a couple voice numbers memorized and can get to them on the fly.

It doesn't matter who is singing as long as I have my master song list and their disk loaded...the registration codes for each song is the same for all of us. The difference is in the individual changes I have made to each person's disk.

Yes, limitation of only 3 user styles in the 740 is a definite downside and really slows things down when I need to load a style to accomodate a request.

But, the documentation I read on the 2000 led me to believe I could save anything I needed to disk.

There is no doubt the 2000 sounds better once I get a song set up. I am just looking for a way to save each individual setting to disk and take advantage of its lightning fast loading speed without having to adjust tempos and keys before I can start a song.

Sorry if I sound a little frustrated here. I love the 2000 dearly, but don't feel I have a good enough command of the instrument to take it on a gig yet...and am hopeful I can find a way to accomplish the tasks mentioned above.

I will try your system though and see if I can adjust to it. Thanks for your input.

#162556 - 12/18/01 09:11 PM Re: PSR2000 harmonizer bug
Beakybird Offline

BSharp:

Do this:

Create 8 of your favorite voices and save this as a registration.

Put a label above the buttons so you know which voice is which.

Now call up this registration and expand on it by associating a style, tempo, transpose, etc with each voice. Make names for each button with the name function. Rename the registration.

When you're done with these eight, create another set of eight.

Now all you have to do is

1. Call up the registration of your choice
2. Press Freeze (locking the style, tempo, and transpose,etc.)
3. Press the OTS or the registration button of your choice to call up your preferred right voice.

Now you have the 4 OTSs plus eight of your favorite voices.

Ready for the next song?

1. Press Freeze to undo the freeze
2. Call up the registration
3. Press Freeze again

I think this is pretty simple.

Larry

#162557 - 12/21/01 08:11 PM Re: PSR2000 harmonizer bug
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey Don,
My 2k allows just the wet signal of the harmonizer if you pan the control all the way right. I tested it with the bass voice and the mouse. It seems to reset to a default value when selected, but after you edit it - it works ok.

#162558 - 12/21/01 10:26 PM Re: PSR2000 harmonizer bug
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dave,
Thanks, but I promise you that mine does not. Maybe you have a newer OS?? I know some folks have 1.10. Mine is 1.0.
Anyway, it should be automatic.
I'm really disappointed that Yamaha did not call me back as they promised.
DonM

#162559 - 12/22/01 06:43 AM Re: PSR2000 harmonizer bug
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have the beta os too, but I DID check the harmonizer and it can omit the lead when modified. Strange, huh?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online