SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#162498 - 09/25/07 02:13 PM HELP! Need better system ? Had Logitech Z-2300
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I just tested a brand new Logitech Z-2300 that was highly touted in this forum - couple weeks ago with about 50 people in a small clubhouse. All 50 people were singing along with a lead singer - a small church fellowship event.

I was quite disappointed with the result. I used a Behringer mixer with the following items going into the mixer:
1. PSR 3000
2. Yamaha electronic drumpads
3. 3 mics

The sound was distorted at even medium volume. Took out the drums, and it was still distorted.

I thought Logitech can handle much more than that. I heard from UD about headroom issue in the past - wonder if that was the cause here ?

Spoke with Guitar Center person and he mentioned that I need a mixer with compressor built in like what the Yamaha mixer offers. He also mentioned that I would need a pro amp like Behringer Ultratone which had many negative reviews.

Pls advise what is really going wrong ?

Could it be the cables causing distortion ?
When the lead singer by himself with nobody else singing and the keyboard in the background, it seeems ok.

Thanks for the advice

#162499 - 09/25/07 02:56 PM Re: HELP! Need better system ? Had Logitech Z-2300
Dnj Offline

Lets be honest your playing thru a Computer speaker system....

secondly if you take your music seriously you can't skimp on sound reinforcement its the most important thing in your rig......get yourself a nice set of powered speakers.....& for multiple players in a small gig scenario which requires a mixer maybe something like the Yamaha Stagepas Series would work nicely for you...for an all in one.
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesList/0,,CTID%25253D560071%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

#162500 - 09/25/07 02:57 PM Re: HELP! Need better system ? Had Logitech Z-2300
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have used it with a Kn7000,laptop,2 mics, and a karaoke machine all at once and had plenty of headroom with no distortion.

Were all you connections solid ?

Bernie

#162501 - 09/25/07 03:03 PM Re: HELP! Need better system ? Had Logitech Z-2300
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
"THREE" singers. That's the trouble. They are prone to volume peaks and I can almost promise you - that is the trouble. Even a modest singer asks a lot from a small home system like that one.
Either compress/limit all the mics, drop the low EQ, lower the volume or just get a larger system. You've simply put too much into the amp.

#162502 - 09/25/07 03:09 PM Re: HELP! Need better system ? Had Logitech Z-2300
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
DNJ and UD gave the right answer..

#162503 - 09/25/07 06:54 PM Re: HELP! Need better system ? Had Logitech Z-2300
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
What UD said--you were obviously overdriving the system. It ain't the speaker size--it's how you use them and knowing how to configure the entire system. Every component has certain limits, and if for some reason you stray outside those limitations with just one component, such as the mixer, everything else will be compromised. There are litterally dozens of individuals in this part of the world using the Logitech systems in small niteclubs, upscale restaurants, nursing homes, bars, etc., and all report good to excellent results.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162504 - 09/26/07 03:29 AM Re: HELP! Need better system ? Had Logitech Z-2300
JIMSAX Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD USA
Ditto Gary,

And I'm one of them.

Regards,

Jim

#162505 - 09/26/07 06:33 AM Re: HELP! Need better system ? Had Logitech Z-2300
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I use the StagePAS 300, the link DNJ gave you, and can vouch for the build quality and great sound.

Graham

#162506 - 09/26/07 02:15 PM Re: HELP! Need better system ? Had Logitech Z-2300
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I backed out of this Logitech discussion long ago because I cannot understand how or why anyone would want to use computer speakers when performing for a group of more than 3. Comptuer speakers are made for compressed sounds like CDs, mp3, wav files, etc. Once you start pushing raw sound like live voices, a decent bass and a bunch of notes through these units, you have very little room for error and very little volume before distortion takes over.

I know the Logitech crowd will come after me, but that's just how I feel. You need air to push volume.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-26-2007).]

#162507 - 09/26/07 05:50 PM Re: HELP! Need better system ? Had Logitech Z-2300
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I backed out of this Logitech discussion long ago because I cannot understand how or why anyone would want to use computer speakers when performing for a group of more than 3. Comptuer speakers are made for compressed sounds like CDs, mp3, wav files, etc. Once you start pushing raw sound like live voices, a decent bass and a bunch of notes through these units, you have very little room for error and very little volume before distortion takes over.

I know the Logitech crowd will come after me, but that's just how I feel. You need air to push volume.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-26-2007).]

cassp ...... granted, I don't have personal experience with the Z-2300, ... but I've used the Z-5500 with a kb and a harmonizer (Digitech) going into a mixer (Alesis)for 100+ people and have had no problem 'pushing enough air' to keep the dance floor crowded ... HOWEVER, I did have to work with the balance between the settings on the harmonizer (Digitech) and the mixer (Alesis) before I got it right to take it out on a gig ...
Have you tried one?
t.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online