SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#162437 - 07/13/07 03:44 PM My PSR S900 has an internal problem
Beakybird Offline

My PSR-S900 has a bug that I'm sure would have been discovered by other people with the keyboard if it wasn't peculiar to just my keyboard.

My keyboard is unplayable. When I turn the DATA SELECT wheel, the keyboard starts toggling between part select, upper octave and other parameters. The data wheel is basically broken. As you probably know, this is an essential part of the keyboard.

What a drag.

Beakybird

#162438 - 07/13/07 03:47 PM Re: My PSR S900 has an internal problem
Dnj Offline

Beaky sorry to hear that .......amazing that a new KB has these problems ....hope you can rectify this in a timely manor.....keep us posted.

#162439 - 07/13/07 04:14 PM Re: My PSR S900 has an internal problem
Beakybird Offline

I was going to bring this keyboard to work with me tomorrow. I'm glad I didn't. The keyboard is in self destruct mode. It had buttons going on and off like bonkers. Now I cannot turn on and off Right hand 1 & 2 buttons. What a disaster.

Yamaha had three years to work on this keyboard which pretty much has the same operating system as the PSR3000 with a few changes. I hope this is not indicative of other PSR S900s that they have shipped.

Beakybird

#162440 - 07/13/07 04:21 PM Re: My PSR S900 has an internal problem
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Beaky,

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Did you try a reset?

Ian

#162441 - 07/13/07 04:27 PM Re: My PSR S900 has an internal problem
Beakybird Offline

Tried a reset. Keyboard is messed up. At least I've gotten it back where I can practice it. I just can't use the data wheel.

Beakybird

#162442 - 07/13/07 06:30 PM Re: My PSR S900 has an internal problem
zuki Offline

Wow....sorry to hear about this. Did UPS ship the thing?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#162443 - 07/13/07 07:05 PM Re: My PSR S900 has an internal problem
Beakybird Offline

It was shipped FedEx, from Indiana, less than 100 miles from my home. Box was in perfect condition.

Beakybird

#162444 - 07/13/07 07:31 PM Re: My PSR S900 has an internal problem
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I hope this is not indicative of the whole line of these new PSR "S" series arranger keyboards. I happened to play the PSR S900 today at my local GC and in a nutshell I was un-impressed with it for the most part. There are no Bass ports for the speakers and you really have to crank the volume waaayyyyy up to hear the sound at a decent level. My PSR 2000 speakers are much louder by comparison.

I didn't like the key feel as the keys felt a little mushy to me. There is a little more resistance than my PSR 2000 keys but depressing the S900 keys felt a little like poking a stale marshmellow with your finger. It's kind of hard to describe but that's the sensation I got when playing the S900 keys.

If you want to use the PSR S900 for mainly Organ sounds then you might want to look elsewhere for your Organ sound needs. I found the PSR S900's Organs lackluster at best. It is only my opinion of course and you may find them suitable enough for your needs.

I did like a lot of the Styles and many of them had a fresh sound to them. The LCD is bright and the text crisp and very readable. There are 23 SA voices and many of them are excellent sounding in my opinion. But sadly there are no SA String voices or SA Brass voices (other than the Trumpets). The Grand Piano is also pretty good but nothing surpassing the PSR 3000 in my opinion.

Also, no word from Yammie on how much WAV ROM is on the PSR S900. Maybe they're hesitant to post it because they just don't want to "confuse" people with facts and other technical things.

Conclusion >> If you have a PSR 3000 there would be no real reason to upgrade to a PSR S900 in my opinion unless you want the few cosmetic changes they've included on the S900 and you also want the SA voices. But I found the build quality on the S900 somewhat lacking and Beakybird's episode with the Data Select wheel right off the bat is rather unsettling to say the least. I hope this is not a token of things to come for the PSR "S" series. Let us hope it is not..

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 07-13-2007).]

#162445 - 07/13/07 07:59 PM Re: My PSR S900 has an internal problem
Dnj Offline

Mike thanx for the review.......what the heck is going on with the S900....so far things are questionable. Hope to hear more in time good or bad.

#162446 - 07/13/07 08:19 PM Re: My PSR S900 has an internal problem
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I have a PSRS900 at my store which I have been playing for two days.
You are wrong about the bass ports. The ports are right under the grills on both sides.
The volume of the speakers on my unit are also loud and clear. Actually, louder than the 3000. I'm guessing the one at GC you played probably had he volumes down at the mixer level of the screen so that if ou turned up the master volume you were not hearing the full volume.
In fact, I thought my stagepass 300 volume was up loud today when I was trying to talk to a customer and when I walked over to the 900 I was surprised to see that it was all coming from the internal speakers.
To say the only upgrade is the SA voices and some cosmetics is just not true.
First, you have USB audio recording. Yamaha has added a dedicated button for controlling the leslie speed. You also get a brand new effects processor in this model and a new , just realeased Rhodes piano voice. The styles are more plentiful, better with the use of the SA voices. There are also alot of brand new multi pad setups featuring acoustic guitar loops, etc. There is also now the ability to load text files into this model, like the Tyros2 can do but the 3000 couldn't do. I'm sure there are more things I'm missing.
I have a lot of experience with all the arranger keyboards and I'm very excited about this new keyboard. As in the past, Yamaha doesn't usually reinvent the wheel when they come out with new models, and I think they did a great job here for anyone who doesn't already own the 3000 or tyros2 and for many who like to upgrade, I think you will be quite impressed.
I'm sorry there was a problem with the one Beakybird received, but in no way do I think there is a built quallity issue here. I think it's just a misfortunate thing that happened probably in transit.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online