SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#162429 - 02/20/06 05:36 AM HELP with first pa?
homewurx Offline

I know it must be boring to all yoou tech guys but... I am a classical guitarist my wife plays a wind synthesizer. I need ( I think ) about 200watt speakers - we play banquet halls which are not very deep but wide. maybe maximum 300 people.What is meant by horizontal dispersion? Is that what I need for wide rooms? oh the budget is about 2k...I need things simple so I have been looking at powered speakers and I would like a mixer with EFFECTS for the guitar. ( SRM350/dfx6 or fbt maxx2a/dfx6?) weight is important. Do I just need two speakers and a mixer? Are powered speakers compatible with most mixers regardless of brand? any recommendations on systems or where to buy would be appreciated

#162430 - 02/20/06 05:54 AM Re: HELP with first pa?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There are lots of high-quality, powered speakers available in today's market. Barbetta, Mackie, JBL, lots of them, and they're all in the same, general, price range. Each has it's own features, and because this is a very subjective issue, it's difficult to recommend one over the other.

Much of your decission will depend upon the physical characteristics of the venues where you wish to perform. The position and height of the stage, how and where the audience is seated, room accustics, and ceiling height will all have bearings on speaker size, speaker placement, wattage, and EQ settings. All of this primarily applies to conventional sound systems. It does not have much of a bearing on the Bose PAS, which uses unconventional technology to equally distribute sounds throughout the venue.

As for the price range, a pair of Barbetta Sona 32-Cs will run about $1,200 to $1,300. The Bose PAS is $1995 direct from Bose.

The best advice anyone can give you is let your ears be the judge. If it sounds good, is within your budgetm, and fits your venue's needs, then this would be the logical choice.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162431 - 02/20/06 06:04 AM Re: HELP with first pa?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Any vocals?

Is the audience yakking away and your act is background music or is this a listening event?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#162432 - 02/20/06 07:00 AM Re: HELP with first pa?
homewurx Offline

thanks for all the good advice.. There are not vocals it is background music while people are yakking ; with my amp I lose a lot of the bass unless I put everything on tinny treble it does not cut through the room. but bottom line I play background or accompanyment. thanks again for the responses.

#162433 - 02/20/06 07:03 AM Re: HELP with first pa?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I don't know the answer but the Bose PAS... I would test drive that baby. You play classical? Maybe you don't even need the sub? If so, it would be around $1,700. I think you can get a trial period. All I know is that acoustic guitar solo dudes love the system. (As well as several keyboard acts on this forum!) I want one! Still.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#162434 - 02/20/06 10:34 AM Re: HELP with first pa?
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

These suggested systems are very good. You wont go wrong with either.

An alternative is the Logitech satellite systems. I use the Z2200 for crowds under 100. Others here use the Z5500 for larger rooms. Both have received good review and are astonishngly good value forthe money. I find that they are lightweight and quick to set up. That alone is enough for me to recommend them.

Search on this site for other messages about the Logitech systems.

As for effects, I use the Tascam VT trainers. There are models for vocal guitar and bass. I like because it is compact, easy to set up and has the effects I need.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online