SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#161981 - 10/23/05 03:50 PM Re: Casio WK3700 vs Yamaha DGX-305/505
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
things have come a long way in the last 3 years. I dropped out of music just before soundfonts came in. ( I think they're having a bit of a revival)
I use soundfonts with OMB realtime arranger software http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm

I have my Clavinova CLP170 piano (or a DGX305, which I'll probably sell) midied to my laptop/audigy soundcard/omb.
I can use use the soundfonts or the xg sounds of my Clav for the style parts, I use Clavinova for melody parts as I mainly use piano for the melody voice..

You could have the best of both worlds , a Casio if you require a new keyboard , and the ability to play (psr) .sty style files via OMB software. The styles would need some tweaking with either the casio or soundfonts as your soundsource.

We do tend to get ripped off for keyboards down under, I can't beleive some of the USA prices compared to ours.
Tyros 1 was retailing for approx $7,000AUD when they first hit the market. Our Aussie dollar at that stage was worth around 52cents compared to USD. Our dollars now worth roughly 75cents compared to the USD. Be interesting to see the retail price of the tyros 2 when it hits our shores. Even though I get discounts, I still got fed up with these high prices

Don't kick yourself about not buying a VA7, I had one for a while, and I wasn't wrapped. Very awkward to navigate. I used to luv my Roland G800, but the VA7 was a whole different kettle of fish.
Not intuitive in it's functions.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maestroec:
[B]
I've heard about the 32MB sampling memory of the WK3700 but am unsure as to how this works. Does it use sound fonts, individual sample files or another format? I have a heap of sound fonts from years back using them with a sound card. It would be nice to load in a steinway piano sample! Loading them in is an easy process?

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 10-23-2005).]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 10-23-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#161982 - 10/24/05 06:20 AM Re: Casio WK3700 vs Yamaha DGX-305/505
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Casio added vibrato to each instrument, the other wk series, did not have teh vibrato, you had to use the mod wheel.

Dan, is the vibrato integral to the sample, or is it modulation that can be removed by editing patches? There are definitely times when I'd find vibrato to be wrong for what I'm playing. If it's part of the samples, how long does a note have to be sustained before it's audible?

--Barry

#161983 - 11/14/05 01:19 PM Re: Casio WK3700 vs Yamaha DGX-305/505
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm an absolute beginner, but I've been considering both the WK3700 and the DGX350. It seems like the Casio packs in a lot more bang for the buck than the Yamaha, but that it's a bit more advanced. Am I correct in this assumption?

Also, Yamaha's internal software that would help me learn is an attractive selling point...problem is, I can't read sheet music. Would that negate the whole thing?

I'm really left in the dark as to which would be better, or if I'm better off with something else entirely.

#161984 - 11/15/05 06:55 PM Re: Casio WK3700 vs Yamaha DGX-305/505
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
THe Caio is more advanced, but that should not deter you.
As far as making a decision. Let you ears decide. Cycle through the voices on both keyboards and cycle through the styles on both units. Count the voices you like and the styles you like on both. The decision is then made for you - by you.
Starkeeper

#161985 - 11/15/05 08:19 PM Re: Casio WK3700 vs Yamaha DGX-305/505
Anonymous
Unregistered

More "advanced" in what sense? It just has more features catered to a more advanced player? And also, is the Yamaha teaching program any good?

#161986 - 11/16/05 02:31 AM Re: Casio WK3700 vs Yamaha DGX-305/505
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SirRobert:
More "advanced" in what sense? It just has more features catered to a more advanced player? And also, is the Yamaha teaching program any good?

I personally feel, if you want to play 'piano' you probably would want to go with a DGX. The DGX has boxed keys like a piano and has that piano feel. I know my daughter could care less about the arranger features on her DGX. She loves the 'piano' and plays it as one. I love playing with a band in the room (grin) so the arranger parts are important to me. The WK series has more of those options than the DGX but in the end its what you personally are interested in that will solve the choice issue.

My daughter did use the lessons at first on her DGX but quickly went to a much more advanced form of instruction not using the built in software. She loves playing the piano so having all the other bells and whistles is not important to her.

-Linda

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online