SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#161685 - 11/06/07 06:18 AM Making Custom Styles.......
Dnj Offline

Ian since you do this alot,just wondering your philosophy on why your making your own custom styles & to what extent, from scratch or tweaking editing vs factory or after market or even converted ones....
secondly what is your process in brief for now.........this is a grey area of arrangers are capable of in each KB but hardly take the time to do or utilize due to difficulty, laziness, an over abundance of style availability, or what ever....but it is included in each arranger & we pay for it when we all but these instruments.....it strikes me strange that if it isn't that much used maybe manufacturers could shift their focus on other players wants & needs so we're not paying for unwanted not used much features.

#161686 - 11/06/07 07:19 AM Re: Making Custom Styles.......
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Donny,

I got into style making around 1993, on my PSR-1700...the next instrument I got was the PSR-8000 which allowed for" style assembly", which is mostly what I use today.

I have a set of styles I work from...sort of templates...that cover the genres I use most...then I have a folder of donor styles that I take parts from...some may have great percussion, bass, pads or perhaps piano and guitar parts...I keep adding interesting finds to the latter.

Jazz styles, especially ballads are the most difficult to keep interesting....usually I try to find parts that evolve over at least 8 bars....sometimes I'll use a 3 bar or a 5 bar pattern on some of the parts so that it adds a different element of repetition.

Making playable intros is perhaps the easiest thing to do.

Some donor styles are from other brands, although I do find that Yamaha works best with Yamaha.

It is something that started out of necessity and now is mostly a lot of fun.

I wouldn't say it's difficult to do, but it does require putting the time into it.

Thanks for your interest.

#161687 - 11/06/07 07:34 AM Re: Making Custom Styles.......
Dnj Offline

Ian, years ago I would make many custom SMF songs for backing tracks using my Korg M1, & i Series arrangers....then as years progressed I also used style assembly with my Yamahas also when I had to have just the right style to conform with what ever song I would perform......I also dabbled with recording certain parts too which really brings you into the customizational world of style making. I f your going to record your work then you have more flexibility in the multi-tracking process...but a style is another ball game if your going to use it in a live situation for sure. Many players veer away from the style making process because if its difficulties....but hopefully in time manufacturers will create easier on-board formats to do this more easily for beginner & advanced on all arrangers coupled with Quality instructional DVDS on the topic and beyond....Thanx for your views.

#161688 - 11/06/07 07:48 AM Re: Making Custom Styles.......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
....Thanx for your views.

Ah, the love, the love.

#161689 - 11/06/07 07:56 AM Re: Making Custom Styles.......
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

Ah, the love, the love.

Try it sometime my friend you'll feel better

#161690 - 11/06/07 08:05 AM Re: Making Custom Styles.......
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

Ah, the love, the love.

Chas, can't you tell we are trying for a new level of forum decorum?

Even Diki is in on this pact...amazing, huh?

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood...la la di da di da.

Ian

#161691 - 11/06/07 03:20 PM Re: Making Custom Styles.......
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yeah, come on in, chas, the water's lovely!

('Til someone pulls the plug! Devil take the first one...)

#161692 - 11/06/07 03:24 PM Re: Making Custom Styles.......
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Even Diki is in on this pact...amazing, huh?

Don't you young whippersnappers forget, either, it was me that STARTED the pact, OK...?

Dang kids, (mutter mutter), no respect, (mutter mutter), get off my lawn!, (mutter mutter)....

#161693 - 11/06/07 04:01 PM Re: Making Custom Styles.......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Yeah, come on in, chas, the water's lovely!

('Til someone pulls the plug! Devil take the first one...)

And why would someone as sweet, pure, and innocent as yours truly, need to join such a pack. Heck, I love my fellow man (whoops, and you too, Rikki. Were that we all as nice and as classy as you). Meanwhile, back to the Devil's work.

chas

#161694 - 11/06/07 04:05 PM Re: Making Custom Styles.......
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ian, Donny .... don't pay any attention to the nay-sayers ! Stay on track - it's a joy to see polite decorum come back!
Chas, Diki, don't make fun. Everyone is getting along !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online