SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#161586 - 01/24/02 11:37 AM The SCREEN !!!!!!!
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
One thing that is very common with arranger type keyboard is that the screen is a key factor . Most LCD display's are the same size . You press a button and something happens in the screen . You use corresponding Function buttons ( on side of screen) to select the desired styles/sounds . Having a keypad along with the screen is convenient IMO . PSR2000 vs PSR740 is a good example . I love the fact that the 2000 can sequence better than the 740. However , I really liked being able to select a sound or style via the keypad .
So the Screen is very important in the view of the Italians + Japanese companys . Is there anything better we could suggest with utilizing the LCD display ?
#1 . Tilt screen ?
#2. How about color of Screen ? Is blue better than green ? or orange ?
Suppose the keyboard could respond to voice commands ? Like " rumba next " or "piano sound " and the keyboard changes ?
dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 01-24-2002).]

#161587 - 01/24/02 11:49 AM Re: The SCREEN !!!!!!!
Beakybird Offline

Voice command? - No! If the song lyric went, "I guess that's why they call it the blues," all the sudden you would be put into a blues style and you'd lose that Elton John feel. the other ideas Dano are definitely worth exploring.

Larry

#161588 - 01/24/02 11:58 AM Re: The SCREEN !!!!!!!
DanO1 Offline

Great ...I love humor !!!! Seriosly though ?

Think about it ? dano

#161589 - 01/24/02 12:14 PM Re: The SCREEN !!!!!!!
Clif Anderson Offline

Using an active matrix screen rather than passive matrix for wider viewability. Viewing angle should not be critical at all.

#161590 - 01/24/02 12:32 PM Re: The SCREEN !!!!!!!
DanO1 Offline

Cliff could you email that idea to me personally ? How would that work ? I do not know the difference . dano

#161591 - 01/25/02 04:20 AM Re: The SCREEN !!!!!!!
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
DanO,

I would prefer an active matrix TFT screen vs passive or dual scan. TFT is very clear and detailed and viewable from far side angles. I also would like to have the screen tilt up from flat to a high position for those of us who are way to short to view it sitting down flat. Standing is easily viewable, but I do not stand most of the time playing, as do alot of the professional folks here.

The MZ2000 had the screen tilted up a bit and the whole keyboard was wedged so that was not a problem. I found a solution with the PSR2000 by just raising the back legs of my Ultra stand all the way up and it pushes the keyboard and monitor in the correct angle for me to view.

I did get very comfortable with the side buttons (again MZ was the same) and sorting through the menus for me that way or with the dial is not a problem. I find when I use my Casio wk-1800 that the number pad is alot faster than the PSR monitor. I think a blue screen is easy on the old eyes.

Voice command? Sure! If it worked correctly. I haven't used one that does yet! I do think that commands to change to another function or style or sound could be easily done by using number commands. Sorta like a number kepad! That would not interfer with singing and talking. Voice command usually requires the operators voice trained into the system so no one else can command it. Unless you sing numbers, this should not be a problem.

Just my thoughts,

-Linda

#161592 - 01/25/02 06:16 AM Re: The SCREEN !!!!!!!
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Dan

Linda has said all that matters. You do not need to know how it works. If you find yourself having to position your head so you can read a screen, it is probably passive matrix or dual scan. If you can read it from a wide range of angles, it is probably active matrix. Obviously, musicians would prefer the latter. This is just a quality versus cost issue.

Clif

#161593 - 01/25/02 06:29 AM Re: The SCREEN !!!!!!!
Clif Anderson Offline

Another idea.

Musical instruments should be "Stevie Wonder" compatible. How about a touch screen in which you select items by touch but activate them separately--e.g., by pushing an "enter" button or "double-clicking". There would be a keyboard mode in which the names of selected buttons were "announced" through headphones. A blind person or person with a keyboard in which the LCD backlight had failed or a person trying to operate the keyboard in sunlight could then take advantage of a keyboard dependent on touch-screen navigation.

#161594 - 01/25/02 06:36 AM Re: The SCREEN !!!!!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm waiting for the "Craneal Implant 1000" A simple midi cord plugged into the temple that feeds a battery pack to a wireless connection to the mainframe at home. With the CI1000 you can have ANY arrangers on line at the same time and access chord changes by thought.... leaving your hands free to operate the TV remote or Knives & forks ... whatever.
It can't be far away, can it?

#161595 - 01/25/02 06:49 AM Re: The SCREEN !!!!!!!
Beakybird Offline

Believe it or not, when I was looking for a midi foot controller (I never bought one in the end) at the synthzone site dedicated to different websites for midi controllers, I ran accross one site that made midi controllers controllable by brainwaves. I never checked out the site, thinking that if it were that great of an invention, I would know about it. But Uncle Dave is right, thought controlled midi controllers aren't far off.
As far as voice control, humor aside, I don't think it's practical, because a musician doesn't want to announce what style or sound he wants - even if you turned off your microphone, it wouldn't be quite professional.
An optional computer touch screen that plugs in front of the music stand, now that would be really cool. The keyboard could have a fake book database on the hard drive, and you could see the lyrics in large print.

Larry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online