SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#161516 - 10/20/05 10:20 AM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Donny,

It's ok. I'm as happy as I can get. I just have to go the U.D. route on this one. I want it all! If I go Ketron I'd miss all the good stuff (of which there is much) on the Tyros. That's why I'm thinking Tyros + MidJay. When Yamaha hires Uncle Dave to design the keyboard in conjunction with Scott Yee we will then have it all.

I think your PSR3000 works just fine for you. Your customers likely won't notice if you change. You are like the rest of us, a little bored with the status quo and ready for a change. We all know the grass is always greener ........

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 10-20-2005).]

Tom

#161517 - 10/20/05 12:02 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Dnj Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Donny,I think your PSR3000 works just fine for you. Your customers likely won't notice if you change. You are like the rest of us, a little bored with the status quo and ready for a change.

Tom the 3k has done me right for sure its an excellent KB....but, its shortfalls and work arounds are starting to get to me on stage ....if smething else can do it better then I'll go with it as I have done for the last 35+ years..... as it stands at this time the Tyros 2 is Last on my list to try behind the Midjay, Sd-1, Pax, G70...
if I ever get that far I have a simple phylosophy......if it works for me I go with it........if not I dump it good luck to you & everyone else with their choices, just make sure its what you really need and want for your needs!

#161518 - 10/21/05 06:04 AM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Tom - You were spot on when you said that an SD-1 is not better than a Tyros or vice versa they are just different.

I have said this before but I very nearly got rid of my Tyros when I first got it because it didn't do what my XD3 did. I missed the "live" sounds and some of the instrument voicings (guitars - Sampled organs - trumpets and sax) that I didn't appreciate at first what I had gained in the Tyros.

I watch with interest the "holy war" of "my keyboard is better than yours". This is ok if it includes the "for my purposes" qualifier but I have to chuckle when I see certain people defend a make or, a model of a keyboard even seen yet or they don't use it in the same way.

I still have both a Ketron and Yamaha arranger and there are things I love and hate about them both - I would dearly love to get something that does (most) of what they both do and lately the functionality of the top models do seem to be converging.

So - keep it up guys - I want to see what people love or hate about their equipment in a constructive way. I am trying to find an updated G70 to try and will be over the moon if it does what it needs to for me.

Incidently - I have seen the midjay and it is a super unit but if you are mainly an arranger player you are better off with an XD or older X module as the arranger functions on the midijay are limited. If however, you use everything in the musical arsenal then it simply can't be beat for the price (in my opinion - lol.

For smaller gigs I use the XD3 module with a lightweight 61 note Sylogic controller plus the logitech 2200 - The whole setup almost fits into my pockets - well, not quite but if you are looking for a really minimal lightweight setup it takes some beating.

Just my twopence worth...

Keith

#161519 - 10/21/05 10:56 AM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Keith,

I really don't use midi files and all the rest of that stuff that the MidJay does. I don't fault those that do but I don't feel using that stuff is playing. I know I'm going to incure some rath but to me singing to a midi file is the same as the 'K' word. I also know that if a customer wants to hear "Who Let the Dogs Out" they aren't going to hear me perform it because I can't. For those of you who have to be all things to all people I can see it. If I did wedding receptions I certainly would use all the tools available. I don't do that stuff. I just play for people that want to hear what I do. Whenever I read about dual SMF playback and search for the next tune while the first one is playing and MP3 playback I just tune out because I have no interest in those things. I'm sure I could get more jobs if I used all the available tools but I don't have the desire to perform in that manner.

What I'm getting to is that the Xd3 might be a lower cost option to use with my Tyros. I don't really need the features the MidJay has that would also allow me to be a DJ.

Thanks for giving me something to think about.

Tom

Tom

#161520 - 10/21/05 11:07 AM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Dnj Offline

Tom .....your thoughts are valid, although just the fact of Arranger KB playing in itself is just another type of "faking it" so to speak.....vs just purly playing a Solo Acoustic instrument ...but there are two very different things to remember, AMATURE vs a PROFESSIONAL making a living.....playing for enjoyment or playing to earn........I do all the things you "tune out" on stage because I need to "GIT ER DUN" on stage for my audiences & Im proud of it! as you witnesed your elf when we met.....although when Im home by myself I rarley dont do anything for my musical own enjoyment but play the arranger keyboard which I love to do...
times have changed my friend, I miss the old days Sniff Sniff

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-21-2005).]

#161521 - 10/21/05 12:56 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Donny,

Yeah I know but there is a difference playing with an arranger vs a midi file. When I'm playing with the arranger I'm in control. I control how long the song goes, how many verses are played. I can change keys if I so desire. If no one is dancing to that style I can gracefully end it early. If the floor is packed extend it or add a second song in the same style. No one knows this better than you do. I've seen you do it.

I totally agree with you though. If I did this for my living I'd be right there using all the tools neccessary to make it happen.

Tom

Tom

#161522 - 10/21/05 01:02 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Dnj Offline

Tom......
I hear ya buddy....I feel your pain too
Even though I do it all on stage ....I try to tile the live arranger playing percentages in my favor as much as possible vs the other means I use for many of the reasons you mentioned in your reply....hang in there we're all in this "Thing of Ours" together !!

#161523 - 10/21/05 01:02 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I echo Tom's sentiments. It's the guys that can 'make a living' really playing the keyboard (= musicianship + entertainer) that "I" respect the most. - Scott

#161524 - 10/21/05 02:02 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
We only have two hands [and two feet]...What is the difference if we use the keyboard in arranger mode..we still use two hands...and work just as hard as a piano player...Likewise , if we play both hands over top of a SMF...same thing..we are still playing[actually not much different than playing in the band,,,except less mistakes..].

Let me add one more[since I do this with the band], If we play [both hands] along with an MP3[I make my own MP3's]...Still play just as hard as a piano player, but we sound better..

As I have said before, if you don't use the benefits of all the media...someone else will, and they will have your job..

This faking syndrome, is blown out of proportion...If you entertain, what 's the difference how you do it..As long as you are happy, and your customers and audience enjoy what you do...

#161525 - 10/21/05 02:14 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tom, I forgot to mention, even your Tyros will allow you to set markers with in a sequence allowing you to go back to the bridge, another chorus, or a quick ending..Heck you can even change the key for the second verse...How is this different than working with a good band..."Hey Tom let's take it from the top and modulate at the bridge and close it out"..the best part, I don't have to communicate with 4 other guys, I am already on the same page..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online