SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16127 - 04/17/03 05:30 PM Promega 2 coming soon!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I just heard from Generalmusic that my first Promega 2 will be in my store next week. A limited number will be available in the US with this first shipment. I will only be receiving 1 in the first shipment.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#16128 - 04/18/03 02:16 AM Re: Promega 2 coming soon!
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
whats promega?

#16129 - 04/18/03 10:24 AM Re: Promega 2 coming soon!
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
The best Stage Piano on the planet! http://www.generalmusic.us/pro/PROMEGA2.htm

------------------
Paul Davis
Generalmusic
Generalmusic.US

#16130 - 04/18/03 09:07 PM Re: Promega 2 coming soon!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Last year Generalmusic released a new product called the Promega 3. I looked at it and honestly walked right by thinking it was going to be a more expensive, larger version of the Pro 2 Piano. Even a friend of mine at Generalmusic, who tried to get me to look at it seemed to think it might not be right for my store. Boy, were we both wrong. I had not heard another word about this piano except for some advertising spots in Keyboard Magazine until later that year when in June I was invited to tour the Generalmusic Factory in Italy with about 12 other music dealers. It was here that I was re-introduced to the Promega piano and was given a thorough explanation about the DRAKE chips which were used in the Promega and not in any other Generalmusic Pianos. You can read all about the technology in the Generalmusic website but let me tell you what my customers think.....This is the best, most realistic Piano on the market. It offers the most realistic ambient sounds of any of the pianos. Most players think that the Yamaha, Roland, Korg pianos sound more like closely mic'd pianos, but the promega sounds like you are in the room with a concert grand with no mics near the piano. The playability is amazing because of the new concept of harmonic modeling used in the drake chip. This means that only 1 sample needs to be used per key because all the characteristics of playing the piano are created in physical modeling thus not hearing where one sample starts and another starts.
I have sold many of these to some of the best session and studio players here in LA. Last week we delivered a Promega 3 to Herbie Hancock. Players with very discriminating tastes are in love with the Promega.
The Promega 2 is a lighter, less expensive with most of the same features as the Promega 3.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#16131 - 04/21/03 01:29 PM Re: Promega 2 coming soon!
MarkEdmonds Offline

Yeah, I'll back that up. I having nothing to gain by saying it either - I don't sell them nor am I from GEM. I'm a happy owner. Mine sits there almost permanently on preset A2 which is the Fazioli F308. It simply sounds huge and plays fantastically. Honestly, there is nothing like it.

However, I have a few quibbles which maybe Paul can answer...

Which piano was used for the Concert 9' Grand preset? It works for soft classical music but generally, I find it far too muffled in the treble - almost as if it is permanently on una corda.

Is the Pro2 preset exactly the same as the old Pro2 keyboard? The sound is rather unusual IMO and has a strange bell like timbre.

Any news on the OS update?!

Finally, I would dearly love to see GEM do this in the future: Use their technology which makes the F308 sound so brilliant to model a Bosendorfer 290, a Steinway D, an Estonia Concert Grand, a Bechstein 280 etc etc.. I mean seriously, if GEM did this, they would corner the entire digital piano market at once. This would be piano heaven.

My message to GEM is: you've got the technology, use it! Please please please make us the ultimate piano module!

#16132 - 04/21/03 08:32 PM Re: Promega 2 coming soon!
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Mark,

First the 9' piano is a Model D Steinway. The Pro2 piano is the Pro2 piano. The new OS is now avilible and you contacted the correct channels already regarding the update. Since you are not in the US, I can't send it to you, however I did forward the update to the people you already contacted.

------------------
Paul Davis
Generalmusic
Generalmusic.US

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online