SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#161042 - 01/25/01 01:06 PM Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
Sander Offline

Loc: Hoogeveen, Drenthe, The Nether...
Hi,

I first was thinking about the GEM WK8, but now I told everybody about it, everyone is recommending the VA-7 from Roland to me.

I don't know why, but it's just that they don't like GEM or something and they think that the VA 7 is much better. I heard it from 4 people now that the VA 7 is better, so I'm going to ask it here.

I want to have a keyboard with a good variety of styles, good piano sound, disk, expandable, custom styles etc. I just don't know what to choose now! I mean, what's better in the VA 7 instead of the GEM WK8 and otherwise?

Any help provided would be appreciated!

Sander

[This message has been edited by Sander (edited 01-25-2001).]

#161043 - 01/25/01 02:52 PM Re: Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello, I just got 3 weeks ago my new VA 7, the keyboard is great sounding!!!,etc, but nobody has posted that in the owners manual page 212, say that in the zip disk comes with 301 midi files, NOTHING, a big 0, I donīt need the SMFs for the sake to have SMFs, I need a few, with some examples to access banks, varyphrase, new controllers, remember this is GM2. Also Iīm a (more)happy Solton X1 HD owner, as add may appear, I had more product support form this "smaller" keyboard manufacturer, than the one that makes VA 7.

#161044 - 01/26/01 03:39 AM Re: Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
Ahmad Offline

Loc: Lebanon
I tryed the va-7 for two days next to my X1 and I can assure you that the X1 is far better than the va-7. First, the X1 is more practical for live performance, second it has a sampler and the styles are more realistic than the va-7. I tried the variphrase option in the va-7 and after one hour I get board of it, it is not a useful function as for example the sampler in the X1.

If you have the choice only between the va-7 and wk-8 then I tell you go for the va-7, but if you have the choice between the X1, va-7 and wk-8 then I strongly advise you to go for the X1.

#161045 - 01/26/01 06:36 AM Re: Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
macbabbi Offline

Loc: New York
Why do you think that the GEM is not as good as the Solton?
I did not know that the Solton had a sampler on it also. Where do I get info on the Solton?

#161046 - 01/29/01 08:54 AM Re: Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Sander,

They were saying that GEMWK8 is bad or not that good in comparison, all the way from the days of PSR8000, KORGI30 and G1000. I listened to all of these very well and certainly GEMWK8 beats all of them generally... but that is my own opinion *smile*

Now of course, we have VA7, X1 and PSR9000PRO... and those keyboards have fair amount of supporters and convincee and the blessings of Uncle Dave.

So what is the deal?

You really need to listen to all of these keyboards. Listen critically and compare. If you live by George Kay, he carries all of these and knows them all. So one visit does it all.

But if you live far, you really need to find the dealers that carry these items and have it on display. You got to shop for it like shoping for a car. Must try it before you buy it.

#161047 - 01/29/01 12:59 PM Re: Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
Sander Offline

Hi sk880user,

Thanks for your reply. I think thats THE answer in order to find the keyboard. Although I've heard that more, people are not always thinking good about GEM, I don't know why, because their boards act really good. Mine is 10 years old now, gotta buy a new one; A GEM WK8 SE

Thanks for all the advice!

#161048 - 01/29/01 01:24 PM Re: Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
Ahmad Offline

Loc: Lebanon
Hi, to choose the best keyboard these days is getting more and ore difficult because all the keyboards in the market are good and attractive. The same thing happened to me before I bought the ketron X1, I was really confused what keyboard to buy. I tried the gem wk-8, roland G-1000, yamaha psr8000 and 9000 and the truth to be said all these keyboards sounds great but when I heard the X1 and learned about its functions then I realized that this keyboard is the one for me.

I had the chance to compare the gem wk-8 and ketron X1 side by side and it was very obvious even for my mother who doesn't know nothing about arranger keyboards that the X1 is far better than the wk-8. If someone have only the wk-8 and he didn't heard well other keyboards like X1 or psr9000 he will say I find the wk-8 the best but if he put his wk-8 next to an x1 or a psr9000 he will tell the difference and he will say my wk-8 is not the best.

#161049 - 01/29/01 01:38 PM Re: Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
Sander Offline

Hi Ahmad,

Thanks for your reply (sooo fast! . So the X1 seems the best. Let me ask a few questions:

-Does it have the option for variation of styles?
-Can I create my own styles, just the way I want it?
-How do the piano's sound?
-How much does the X1 cost?

Thanks in advance,
Sander

#161050 - 01/29/01 02:31 PM Re: Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
Beakybird Offline

The X1 has 3 intros 4 variations, 3 fills, 1 break, and 3 endings per style. To create styles just as you'd like them, I think you would need EMC Styleworks. The piano sounds are good but not great. The styles are awesome. There is one caveat, however. Besides the 198 styles that came with the keyboard, none of the styles that I downloaded from the internet (either converted or created styles) compared to the onboard styles. On the other hand, I'm sure the new Oriental styles made by Ketron for the X1 are fantastic. Ahmed would know better. The X1 new with a hard drive and vocalizer is about $3000, but I'm starting to see them used. You definitely will want the hard drive. The vocalizer is a great option if you sing. The X1 also has a 6 or 13 switch programmable footpedal option that is great for either putting in fills and breaks without using your hands or for other things that are not convenient to access with your fingers while you're playing. You can also buy voice ram to expand the amount of voices the keyboard has, which in my opinion, is quite sparse (about 300) for a high end arranger.

I, myself, would choose a PSR 9000 over the X1, but they're both great keyboards. The PSR 9000 weighs a ton, so if you're gigging and if you're not built like Goliath, I would have second thoughts if I were you.

#161051 - 01/29/01 03:15 PM Re: Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
Ilija Petkovski Offline

Loc: Apeldoorn
When you are ASKING ABOUT MONEY I think that you will not be able to buy one, but maybe I am wrong.
However, the GEM WK8 SE has by far the best sampler on board. It is unbelievable !!!
You can sample EVERYTHING and make a STYLE out of it.
For the rest? Every keyboard is good. There is no bad one. Depends on what you want.

Good PIANO SOUNDS? The 9000PRO is the best.
Wanna play around with a sequencer? PA-80.
Want to have the best designed styles with the most professional machine? Korg i30!
Etc etc. what you want is what you need. Not the other way around.

Ilija

#161052 - 01/29/01 05:09 PM Re: Convince me! GEM WK8 or Roland VA-7
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Ilija,
there is no sampler on the WK8 or the WK8se. You can load samples from disks but you cannot sample your own samples with a microphone or from an audio input. The Yamaha samples, the X1 samples, but the WK8 only reads samples that are created from a sampler. I just want to clarify this with the readers so they don't get disappointed when they find out you cannot sample.
It's my opinion that the reason more people don't like the Generalmusics as much as Rolands, Yamaha's and even Soltons is because they are not as user friendly to learn how to use. The next reason is that although the sounds are very good, they are not considered by many to be as rich sounding as many others. I think the VA-7 or VA-5 piano, is much more lifelike than the generalmusic. As far as styles go, the WK8 is very good, but so is the VA-7. The variphrase is something that you might not be interested in so check out the VA-5. The Rolands and Yamaha's have 126 or 128 voice polyphony and the Gem has 64. I always say that if you want a really good sequencer, the gem is great, the Roland is next, than Yamaha and Solton. If you need great styles, first Solton, then Gem and Roland are next, and then finally Yamaha, Korg and tecnics. All the top keyboards let you program user styles in great detail.
It is so hard to give opinions although I know that is often times what is needed. You do need to here these. I also wish everyone of you reading these posts lived close to me. Oh, how much fun we would have!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda,Cal.
(Retired 2021)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online