SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160920 - 01/27/04 08:35 AM Midi Shootout?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
We've had Piano shootouts with various Keyboards on different Forums that give an idea how good a Boards Acoustic Grand Piano sounds which in some cases has swayed a persons decision on whether to buy a particular Keyboard or not. What about a Keyboards ability to play Midi songs through a given Boards sound engine? Could that possibly sway a person's decision on which Keyboard to get also? We as OMB's and even if you play in a Band sometimes may require the use of Midi files to supplement a number or when using as a Karaoke implementation (Lyrics) whilst the Keyboardist may be providing 'fills' and or full Key accompaniment with the song (playing on top), or during breaks, etc. I've heard Roland is the king of Midi playback sound quality implementation on their Keyboards (which ones I'm not sure though).

So is anybody privy to a Midi Shootout to let others hear how their Board compares to others in regards to Midi playback quality and capability?

By recording any Midi song of your choice (your own sequence) or using an existing Midi file and recording it using either a Hard Disk Recorder, Software Sequencer, Multi-track recording software, etc., and posting it here on the SZ. Say, 128 kbps encoding on all converted to .mp3's and you can use any Effects, Dsp's, Reverbs, etc., of your choosing. Then we all can hear for ourselves how each particular Brand/Model of Keyboard stacks up in the way of Midi implementation and quality of sound.

Btw, if you don't have a Server to upload your song to I would be willing to upload it to my Server during the Shootout. I'm sure others would be willing to do the same thing.

Now having presented my spiel I want to post a Midi song played through my Tyros and recorded using my Sound Forge recording software. This gives you an idea of how well IMO the Tyros excels in Midi playback capability and of how well different instruments sound -Piano, Bass, Drums, Saxes, [insert instrument of your choice here] will sound on a particular Keyboard thus enabling the hearer to get a more rounded picture and understanding of how the sounds on a given Keyboard stack up.

From PaulD's recent Midi Demo (from the Genesys Ensemble Stage Piano's internal Demo) I for one know that the Genesys Ensemble has some very good sounds in it.

So what do you all think to a Midi Shootout? Yea, Nay, May[be]?

Here is my Midi song from the Tyros:
Amazing Grace (Funky Version) PS: I really just love the XG Slap Bass1 in this song. Kickin'!!

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-27-2004).]

#160921 - 01/27/04 09:12 AM Re: Midi Shootout?
Dnj Offline

Ooooooooooooooooooooooo.........Mike you said MIDI!!!!!!!! instead of Sequence!!!!

Just Kidding

#160922 - 01/27/04 09:14 AM Re: Midi Shootout?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Mike,
I think that song is actually called:
"Never Ever", isn't it? My daughter loved it a year or so ago. I think it's by All Saints.
Nice groove on an old Gospel number.

#160923 - 01/27/04 09:16 AM Re: Midi Shootout?
Dnj Offline

Secondly......did you forget that although its a good idea in theory....not everyone has the same KB or Sound System to listen back to these Sequences to make a qualified opinion on each song?

#160924 - 01/27/04 09:35 AM Re: Midi Shootout?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I too think that "Never Ever" is based on "Amazing Grace".

In my experience the "how good does this keyboard play unmodified midi files" question almost always results in the answer "Roland". Their GM/GS soundset has always been very consistent in terms of the "feel" and volume levels of the voices.

Much as I love my PSR2k I always have to remap the midi file voices on any commercial or internet sourced midi files. The Auto Revoice option ought to help but I still find channel balance a big issue.

#160925 - 01/27/04 09:42 AM Re: Midi Shootout?
Dnj Offline

Roland sounds are hard to beat .....I agree!

#160926 - 01/27/04 09:56 AM Re: Midi Shootout?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I was impressed by the way Roland, Korg and Ketron played midi files. Yamaha has big problems, particulary with the drums. I'm glad I don't use many midi files-songs-sequences - whatever is politically correct.
However, all indications are that increased use of pre-done backgrounds, including midi and MP3s is the "wave" of the future.
DonM

#160927 - 01/27/04 03:56 PM Re: Midi Shootout?
Dnj Offline

I just mix up all the TOOLS available to us to entertaine, Styles, Smf, Mp3's....
after all...

"You Can't Build a house With Just a Hammer"

#160928 - 01/27/04 04:17 PM Re: Midi Shootout?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
I have to say that I love my 9000pro.....

....BUT of all the keyboards I've owned the one that MOST impressed me with SMF playback was the Roland EM2000. Don't know why or what it was that made it sound like it did but boy that board could play midi files!

Pity it never sounded quite the same when I played it

Also Mike, Excellent idea but unless we all played the same file on the same board through the same sound system we would all get massively different results.
Best to you all
Tony

#160929 - 01/27/04 04:56 PM Re: Midi Shootout?
Dnj Offline

Tony....I agree the Roland G1000 Seq sounded the best and easiest to use too I miss it.

#160930 - 01/27/04 06:53 PM Re: Midi Shootout?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Keybplayer,

Here's the midi file:

Click Here

Here's the 128K MP3 recording:

Click Here

Crank this one way up!

I'd be very curious to hear how the Tyros or Korg PA1x does playing this sequence.

mike

#160931 - 01/27/04 08:00 PM Re: Midi Shootout?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Mike,
I think that song is actually called:
"Never Ever", isn't it? My daughter loved it a year or so ago. I think it's by All Saints.
Nice groove on an old Gospel number.

I guess you're right Dave. I didn't realize the song was an off take of the group All Saints "Never Ever". By the way I had no idea who All Saints were until investigating after reading your post UD. They're an all girl Band from the UK. They were only together for a few years and split up in 2001. Not sure why they broke up but apparently they all made a ton of money and decided to pursue other interests one of which was raising families from what I gathered.

Oh well, SZ members. I see another one of my brilliant ideas has been quietly dismissed as not feasible and has not sparked any interest amongst the Group. Right?? The voice of the majority has spoken. So the majority rules as they say.

TonyW is right though. If it were done we'd all have to use the same Midi file to obtain some type of consistency for the shootout.

Donny, my plan was to use a Midi file or Sequence played through a Keyboard and recorded into a Hard Disk Recorder or Computer, etc. and converted to .mp3 so it would go beyond the barrier of a 'midi file' played and because of obvious reasons sounding different when played on different Keyboards. Because an .mp3 is played back on a computer, etc., not a Keyboard; except in UD's case with his KN7000. So realistically we all would be hearing the same sound with an .mp3 although there would be the sound variances of each different brand Keyboard's sound engine distinguished in that Keyboards recording of the Midi in the resulting .mp3 of course. Which is the whole idea of the Midi shootout - to determine how well a particular brand Keyboard plays back Midi (quality of sound, midi implementation, and overall ambience) of sound in the resulting .mp3 which we could all judge and determine for ourselves which one is the winner.

Since no one else wants to anty up and play I guess the Tyros wins.

Best regards,
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online