SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16084 - 08/17/06 09:34 AM lost my midi settings again!!!
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
I've lost one righthand part sound track again and also the track setting to give string chords on the left hand .
All was ok on tuesday after the engineer left .
Pedal settings are all there !!
and accomps work !!

I've tried to reload from the cd of settings made on tuesday evening ..no joy !!!
so it is another call to Jack white Music and another visit .

At least after Sonola's tip I can eject the cd !!!!

I would not dare even contemplate doing a gig with this set up at the moment !!
it is very frustrating !!!

Until the basic control of the unit is secure , and reliably stored and will work every time !!!!

Any chance some one can guide me through finding the Glenn miller styles ??

regards ...........Giovanni

#16085 - 08/17/06 11:29 AM Re: lost my midi settings again!!!
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi Giovanni,

Sorry to hear about your troubles again! I'm not doing so well on this end either. Nothing with the XP, but my SEM CIAO has gone south. Its some kind of electrical problem, but looks like I'll have to return to the dealer for warrantee work. Of course he's two thousand miles aeay from me so that will take time and money for shipping!

About Glenn Miller styles. I've found one source for GEM styles and one source only. http://www.musicmediasoft.com/eng/ And I must confess I've looked through their catalogue (pdf) and did not see anythig titled Miller, however there were several big band styles. I'm searching for a couple of good polka styles and a Cajun waltz style. The problem I've had with this site is that they will not answer my e-mail. I've written them maybe five times with no response. I specifically asked about Glenn Miller styles. Another thing I don't see many Genesys styles, although, I know Genesys is backward compatable, it seems like they would at least have all the genesys styles that are on the market.

Which brings up this question. Does any one knoww if Genesys and Genesys Pro have any different styles than XP, and do they have more? I ask this because in the Genesys demo on the GEM site a style called "Alpert" is used to play something of the "Tijuana Brass". I do not have that style on my XP.

This is making me second guess my choice. The Yamaha Tyros 2 is looking better and better. Even if it does wiegh more. There are many many sites devoted to Yamaha styles of all kinds.

Well, hope you get your situation worked out

Regards,
Don

#16086 - 08/17/06 12:07 PM Re: lost my midi settings again!!!
Giovanni Offline

Hi Don , thanks for your reply .
Sorry to read about your Ciao having a problem , really, you have to send it 2000 miles ?? wow where's it going to ??
Yes I tried to find the Alpert style and could not find it either !!
Perhaps when Dave is back from his holiday he will help us !!
I have a KN7000 which is just great but it is just too big to keep taking out on gigs ,thats why a wanted the XP module to go with my Concerto !!
i had originally planned to also midi up my Elka Vox 83 to the XP module but I'll knock that idea on the head because once the setting for the concerto midi are sorted and settle down with no over night loss of settings, that is it as far as I'm concerned !! it is doing my head in !!!so to speak.
Sometimes due to work load with the day time job I may not play for a week or two and then I will go out and do a strict tempo dance gig or social club , I expect everything to work first time with no !! messing about, fiddling with settings ,channels , midi etc !!!!
I believe this XP is good but at present it is not set up correctly for me !!

I agree that Gem need to make more information available about their style software and it's availability .

Thats another reason why i'm still so loyal to the Technics brand .
i have a large amount of style software that i purchased and it is so good .

Someone tried to sell me the Orla expanders last year at an accordion festival in the UK but there are no real extra style disks available it was only good if you are prepared to accept the styles in the module .
Glenn miller sound . forget it !!

But that would never satisfy me for my gigs !!

Giovanni

#16087 - 08/17/06 12:11 PM Re: lost my midi settings again!!!
Giovanni Offline

Don , i just thought , you have to realise it's summer holiday time in Italy
most Factories /business are closed for "Ferro augosto" .closed for all of august !!
They will be off for about 3-4 weeks.

Giovanni

#16088 - 08/17/06 12:46 PM Re: lost my midi settings again!!!
donpatt Offline

Yes,
I had an Orla XM-900 before the XP. It only had space for 16 user styles, and Orla styles are as hard to find as GEM.

Perhaps my e-mail will be answered after August.

You know this follow keysvocalssax Junior Member posted a query on this forum on 7/26/06 about his Genesys pro. Perhaps he could tell us how many styles it has and if some are different than ours.

Total distance from Lufkin, Texas to Seattle, Washington is 2384.04 ground miles.

I also called Band In A Box today to ask if they were aware of any software that would convert their styles into a usable arranger format. They did not know of any. I saw on the General Arranger Forum where someone had 3 BIAB styles converted for his Yamaha T2, he said a friend did it for him. I sent an e-mail inquiring about the software used and the friend's email but he did not respond.

Maybe we cane solve some of these things

Regards,
Don

#16089 - 08/17/06 04:32 PM Re: lost my midi settings again!!!
sonola Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Gentlemen, I found a July 2005 post by Dave McMahan on the GEM forum where he explained how to use BIAB to create Genesys styles. I copied his reply and it is pasted as follows:

This is fairly easy to do. Here is the basic concept;

First a little information about styles-
The Genesys features up to 8 tracks of accompaniment per style. Each style can contain up to 4 variations, each having a specific accompaniment phrase for major, minor and 7th chords. Each variation has its own intro, fill and ending with specific phrases for major, minor and 7th chords.

The Genesys gives you the ability to create your own custom styles by recording one track at a time into each of the phrases as described above. This is not hard to do, but does take some time and practice to create good usable styles.

Now to your question-
The Genesys has the ability to record incoming MIDI on multiple channels simultaneously. By setting the Genesys to respond to External MIDI Clock and then entering the Style Recorder, you would choose the phrase you wish to record, arm all 8 tracks and then start the external MIDI device, in this case your PC running BIAB and the Genesys will record all tracks coming from BIAB (up to 8) in one shot. All you have to do is be sure to set the proper phrase length (from 1 to 16 measures) and start BIAB at the appropriate location for the phrase you are recording. Do this for each phrase of the style and you are done. NOTE: It is not necessary to create separate phrases for major, minor and 7th chords. The Genesys will alter the major phrase accordingly if a minor or 7th chord is played. However, it is nice to be able to have additional variances when minor or 7th chords are played so it is worthwhile spending some time recording these specific phrases in my opinion.

If you want to give this a try and have any difficulties, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Dave

-----
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product & Support Manager
Generalmusic USA

#16090 - 08/18/06 06:12 AM Re: lost my midi settings again!!!
donpatt Offline

Nice research Senola,

At some point I'm going to give it a try. I've posted questions about style converting in several forums and am gathering some good info. I have the latest version of BIAB and there lots of styles to choose from.

Thanks,
Don

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online