SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160753 - 03/06/03 07:19 PM Too good to be true?
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
The other day on ebay I entered a bid for a Technics kn7000. I was outbid as expected. Today I got an offer from an ebay member to purchase one for $2799 & shipping. Too steep at present. Then I got another offer from a different ebay seller. $1100 and they would pay shipping. Brand new, sealed.factory box, w/ warranty. I was curious.
They said it had been a present from a Brother. they had to have a money order Today, because they needed the money bad. We went back and forth w/ emails until I asked for the serial# and a picture of them holding the item. They were out of Las Vegas. Then they cooled to the deal after I asked for the verification. They were insulted? I didn't trust them? Take care!!!

#160754 - 03/06/03 07:35 PM Re: Too good to be true?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You know the old saying "When it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't." I sincerely believe this was the case here as well. One of the things that should have been a dead tip-off was the serial number. Every manufacturer has a specific coded serial number that identifies their product. The manufacturer is usually more than happy to let you know the history of that serial number or whether or not it is bogas.

good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#160755 - 03/06/03 07:37 PM Re: Too good to be true?
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
you did the right thing
ask for verification, phone number, call em up, and never send a money order, check or cash.

Pretty sure it was a scam

I do a lot of bussiness on the internet, creditcard or paypal is the way to go. It will give you insurance and protection.

And with larger amounts, I always verify the seller through a phonecall

#160756 - 03/06/03 07:57 PM Re: Too good to be true?
Dnj Offline

what was the guys feedback like?

#160757 - 03/07/03 02:41 AM Re: Too good to be true?
zeerog Offline

Loc: bredene / wvl / belgium
Feedback? You can't relay on that to! Because you can sell and buy fictive things with free email accounts so . . . you never sure on that ether! A telefone call ? ? ? ?
You now the gay's telefone but ? ? ?

I have buyed a kn 7000 over the net at ebay in a shop - i was'nt in the possibility to go there for a while (hand ingury) But dit make the trip of 3 hours to go there and another 3 hours to go back home to collect and test my purchase! I dont have fait in sending it by post - you pay - it get lost in the transport and . . . . where is your money? (i paid 2300 euro for a demo keyboard in perfect order and with 2 years waranthy)

#160758 - 03/07/03 05:06 AM Re: Too good to be true?
Guardman2001 Offline

Their feedback was great, 1474 positive, 1 negative. That's why I was so interested at first, but I couldn't tie the two of them together, so I couldn't be sure they were one and the same person and the more questions I asked the less info they supplied. I know the box would have the serial # printed for all to see. When I asked them why they just didn't pawn it and why they were so desperate, they acted like I hurt their feelings. I checked and told them Western Union only allows $999 to be sent and they said that's okay, send $999 now and $100 tomorrow, then when I asked for more verification, they said "you like to hurt people and stop wasting our time." Huh, I wonder who was wasting who's time?

#160759 - 03/07/03 05:35 AM Re: Too good to be true?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
If they were on the level they should have been happy to give you the serial number and a picture. Con artists always play on your guilt hence the "you are hurting our feelings" comments. The "just send 999 dollars today and another 100 tomorrow" was also a good tip off.

You did the right thing. Good job!

Tom

#160760 - 03/07/03 06:28 AM Re: Too good to be true?
Guardman2001 Offline

I sent an email to ebay fraud investigations, but haven't heard back yet.

#160761 - 03/07/03 01:34 PM Re: Too good to be true?
zeerog Offline

dont count tomatch on ebay - they say many good thing but there thing is to earn money so . . . There manner is to send 2 or 3 warnings to the fraudulois people and that's that before removing there account - they change there account by another free email and they are on the road again! So . .

#160762 - 03/07/03 04:52 PM Re: Too good to be true?
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Some manufactures have policies against selling on the internet. I would understand if they were a dealer, asking the serial number would spook them. The price though, seems extremely low (well below what a dealer can buy it for), and the guy presented himself as an end-user. Sound fishy to me. Anyone with time on their hands can easily bring up their rating and still be a slimeball waiting to score big, with high dollar amounts. You did the right thing, just be thankful you still have your hard earn money. I tell this to everyone, when making large dollar purchases on eBay, use a reputable escrow service... Don't be a victim!

#160763 - 03/09/03 07:42 AM Re: Too good to be true?
Guardman2001 Offline

It does look like Ebay could care less. I sent their fraud investigations dept. an email days ago and still no reply. As the old saying goes "Give a Hoot" I guess Ebay doesn't.

#160764 - 03/09/03 08:12 AM Re: Too good to be true?
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Hi gang:
Please do not knock eBay guys, I just sold my KN7000 on ebay for $3,100.00 plus shipping and with the "buy it now" option.
I know, I got away with murder, but it was all in the up and up and the guy was "tickled pink". Theres's always someone who is willing to pay anything for what they want at the time. But to blame ebay for his decision is "unfair". I sold tens of thosudands of dollars worth stuff on ebay and so far both the buyer and I were more than satisfied. Ebay is only the "means" to get folks together and negociate a deal, and considering their fees, it isn't such a bad deal. Ebay has designed one of the best business models ever to appear in the internet, if you have any doubts, just check their stock chart.
Cheers,
Mario
ps. by the way, I got a PSR9000 listed at ebay. This is not a solicitation, this group is too savy and wise to meet my minimum, but here's the link anyway. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2513984381
I will probably seat with it for a while before someone bites, and that's no problem since I am not in the rush to sell. I just want to buy my second Tyros with the money, hee hee hee.

[This message has been edited by Mario (edited 03-09-2003).]

#160765 - 03/09/03 08:37 AM Re: Too good to be true?
zeerog Offline

Hi, i dont want to nokout ebay, just wanted to warn that you can't relay on the score of someone. I to use ebay to sell stuf and mostly i set a buy now option and it is frequently taken that way.

#160766 - 03/09/03 03:54 PM Re: Too good to be true?
Guardman2001 Offline

Sorry, but I have lost respect for Ebay. I have bought and sold many items there and care about my feedback. The suspect message was sent to me through the ebay system, not just spam. so I take offense that ebay doesn't care to take the effort of even a half-hearted attempt to track it down. I think they have a responsibility to their members.

#160767 - 03/15/03 06:44 AM Re: Too good to be true?
Guardman2001 Offline

Ebay investigations did finally contact me and I sent them the info. I just received an email today, 3/15/03 saying they have completed the investigation and have dealt w/ it. They didn't tell me what they did.

#160768 - 03/15/03 07:15 AM Re: Too good to be true?
Mario Offline

PSR9000 on eBay just SOLD for $1926.00 plus shipping! Here comes my second Tyros folks.
Thanks ebay.
Mario
PS. by the way, except for the weight, I loved the PSR9000 as much as the Tyros.

#160769 - 03/15/03 01:01 PM Re: Too good to be true?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Why on earth would you want a second Tyros? You hardly play out as it is?

#160770 - 03/16/03 07:46 AM Re: Too good to be true?
Mario Offline

UD
Once again, I noticed the “smiley” emoticon [ ] is "missing" out of your “very“ derogatory response , so I am assuming it is in fact a "derogatory" statement towards me. So I am responding in kind.
What is it with you Dave? Why is it that it bothers you anytime someone in this forum gets “one up on you“?. How is it any of your “damn business” if I own two Tyros, or ten. Thank God I am in the position to afford it, and I feel no guilt about it, since it’s music and “performing live” for 35 years what’s given me this “privilege”.
It’s incredible that after me sending you such a “heartfelt” message about the problems you’ve been facing in your family life, you lash out at with such an” insensitive” statement saying “I hardly ever work out”. How do you think I afford myself the things "you know" I posses. May I ask you how you came to this conclusion? How do you know what I do in the day-to-day basis? Just because you are “constantly” blubbering you mouth about how good and busy a musician you are and some of us don’t, It doesn’t mean that some of us, aren’t working enough to have the privilege to own two Tyros. Up until now, I’ve had the fortune to “pick and choose” where I work, who I work for, and make sure I get paid what I think I am worth. I once went to one of the “dives” you are used to perform to one of your “live” performances and know the kind of money this “type” of gig pay, and without offending anyone in this forum who work for a living in music, you would never catch me playing for that kind of dough, and thank God I am in the position to do it.
You are an “arrogant” and “petulant” individual who sometimes fool people into thinking you are a nice person by asking for their sympathy from them, and no soon you get them on your side you stike back. Hell, to think that I even thought of having you in my home to share dinner and meet my wife? What was I thinking? Dave you really are not a nice person, you play with peoples feelings at a time when you know they are on your side, and then you hurt them, like you did "me" in front of this great forum, and that is “shameful”.
The best for you and your family,
Mario

#160771 - 03/16/03 08:13 PM Re: Too good to be true?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
LMAO!

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe...............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online