SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#160737 - 02/28/07 06:11 AM Re: More fills, more breaks.....
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Actually I think it will be a standard keyboard with buttons and screen, to which you will plug in a USB Stick with the type of keyboard you require, (Arranger/Workstation/Organ etc) the USB stick being the equivalent of a Removable Hard Drive. (So no OS or software to load as it is already on the USB Stick, also no moving parts)
Whether it will be an open system or manufacture specific remains to be seen.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#160738 - 02/28/07 06:35 AM Re: More fills, more breaks.....
Dnj Offline

hey Bill......then it will be

"MY Plug in Is BETTER than YOUR Plug In"

#160739 - 02/28/07 06:56 AM Re: More fills, more breaks.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't own a Yamaha right now, and yes there is plenty of room for improvement in all of them. That's why I applauded your suggestion, Diki.
As I remember Yamaha has a fill to each variation and a fill to self on each variation.
All this is accomplished with one button push for each one. They also have a break and the intros and ending can be used as fills as well.
Not perfect, but I like the way they work better than the other brands I've tried.
On the PA800 I briefly had, the fills were, in my opinion, not as musically accurate and much harder to use. There were also fewer.
The Midjay, which I'm now using, has fills for each variation but must be called specifically by first pushing the var. button, then the fill, unless accessed by midi where each fill is accessible directly.
The G70 was somewhere between. I found the fills fairly smooth and complete but there is no real break/fill.
Again, this is an important topic and I would love for it to be addressed by the manufacturers.
You people must know by now that I have no brand loyalty!!
DonM

#160740 - 02/28/07 07:13 AM Re: More fills, more breaks.....
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Has anyone tried to use a tempo lock to transition from a dance style to a disco style seamlessly or 8 beat to 8 beat ? or bossanova to a bolero ?

------------------
Former Ketron demo guy. Backline Charm City on eBay.

#160741 - 02/28/07 07:56 AM Re: More fills, more breaks.....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Has anyone tried to use a tempo lock to transition from a dance style to a disco style seamlessly or 8 beat to 8 beat ? or bossanova to a bolero ?

Correct Dano ....Tempo lock, bass lock, & Drum Lock were the best features on Ketron arrangers that I have performed with aside from the fantastic in your face sound....
I miss those super usefull features very much...sigh!

#160742 - 02/28/07 08:25 AM Re: More fills, more breaks.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use it. I am loving the Midjay again!!
DonM

#160743 - 02/28/07 08:31 AM Re: More fills, more breaks.....
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
The other feature I have been digging for quite some time is the "unplugged" feature on Ketron.. I can call up a style, isolate any part of the style and "unplug that part instantly. Works great with styles that have great acoustic guitar strums on a style like flksingr or 16 beat 1 etc...

I'll bring up another thing I like witn remixing styles .. I took string parts from a up tempo baroque style (temp= 120) and mixed them with an 8 beat at 72 beats and have them mix beautifully and sound musically correct!

I've recently remixed a part from a techno style and mixed in with an r&b style... sounded very cool........

#160744 - 02/28/07 09:41 AM Re: More fills, more breaks.....
mr9000 Offline

Q1:What exactly does the bass,drum lock do?

Q2: how are you guys setting up your variations,that make them sound unrealistic?
Why not just have a very similar bass and chord going to a main but a tad different? my breaks sound much like the mains they come from(yam 9000)

#160745 - 02/28/07 10:50 AM Re: More fills, more breaks.....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
Q1:What exactly does the bass,drum lock do?

lets say your playing variation #2 with a walking bass line....and you jump to Variation #4 the bass line will change to maybe lets say a jump bass line.....but you love the walking one....so you push the Bass lock button and it will change to variation #4 but the #2 bass line will LOCK and remain even though your in Var#4 very kool works the same with Drum Lock etc etc the combinations are endless..... great feature for live play.

#160746 - 02/28/07 08:49 PM Re: More fills, more breaks.....
mr9000 Offline

Wouldn't saving the type of bass/drum voice to a bank registration be quite similar to the'lock' function?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online