SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16067 - 08/15/01 07:30 AM Mic/Line volume slider
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Howdy ya'l. I was wondering why when I turn down the mic/line slider control on my WK8, it lowers the main voice but the harmony voices remain unchanged. I lose my "normal voice" and all that's left if the harmony voices. Shouldn't that slider turn everything down?

#16068 - 08/15/01 01:58 PM Re: Mic/Line volume slider
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
As you have described, the harmony stays the same, while original vocal volume is changed. I have not experimented lot with the vocal processor. But I recall there is a separate volume fader for each vocal harmony part.

Since you brought up the vocal harmony thing, what do you think of its quality?

#16069 - 08/16/01 05:45 AM Re: Mic/Line volume slider
Vic01 Offline

You are right sk880user regarding the separate "virtual" volume sliders within the vocal harmony mixer. I would think that the main physical slider on the keyboard itself would be able to perform a global increase/decrease in mic/line input. It seems to only control the main input while the harmony voices remain the same volume. Regarding the quality of the vocal harmony I find it quite good for my purposes. The unison effect really helps my voice a lot as I have a soft almost folk/country style quality to my voice. Although when properly inspired I can cut loose and do some real in your face old time rock. The four-part harmony when use sparingly sounds very good to me. I've recorded just the harmony parts and they stand up by themselves quit nicely IMHO. It’s not a voice prism but I think it’s on a Digitech Vocalist level. Again, that is only my opinion. As they say, "your mileage may very".

#16070 - 08/17/01 11:44 AM Re: Mic/Line volume slider
Anonymous
Unregistered

This has to do with the way the harmony output is fed to the internal pre-amp. We experimented with different sytems, one of which was, as you suggested, including the harmony output with the mic output. In practice this made it difficult for users to easily control the balance between the harmony parts and the clean mic volume. Many users expressed the importance of being able to easily alter this relationship for different songs.

With the mic volume controlling only the direct output of the microphone, as it does now, you can easily change the relationship between the harmony and the live voice without having to go into any other menus. This, by popular vote, was agreed to be the most effective use of the MIC slider.

Chris

#16071 - 08/17/01 12:14 PM Re: Mic/Line volume slider
Vic01 Offline

Thanks for your reply Chris. Unless I am missing something here, shouldn't the mic/line slider control the input to the mic/line stage? I understand setting your harmony volumes for the 4 voice to different levels and pans but when you want to boost or pull down your mic volume why would you want to leave just the harmony voices? From a "one man band" concept, that does not make sense to me. When I'm singing, there are times depending on the style I'm playing, that I want to boost or trim everything. I might get into a feedback situation and even though my "direct" voice is trimmed, my harmonies and still at the same level. I'm talking about being able to globally boost or trim the input to the mic/line from that slider. I can get around this by running the mic into a mixer first and doing the boost/trim from there but it would be much more convenient for me to do a boost/trim from the slider. I understand that within the vocal harmony menu you can set your voices to anything between 0 and 127. I don't want to change that relationship, I just want to be able to "globally" boost/trim the mic/line input so it boosts or trims everything together without changing the relationship of the "main voice" and the harmony voices". Is this possible with the WK8? Sorry for being so long.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online