SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#160295 - 11/27/00 01:10 PM Don - Donny - Dave everyone HELP AGAIN
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I discovered a mic has noting to do with POPPIN P's. You know like the P sound is pah!

This is what happened. I have an Audio Technica MB1000L mic. I've been using my home stereo speakers for a month now. Consisting of 2 satelites and a sub-woofer. The brand is KLH. It sounds good except for the poppin P's.

Donny bragged so much about the Carvin AG100 I wanted to try something as close as I could find to the AG100. The only thing I could get that I thought might be close is a Crate KX160 keyboard amp on lone from the local store. It has 4 seperate channels with volumn and reverb settings on each channel.

It sounds a bit better than my home stereo but it did not blow my mind. However, I cant't get the sucker to do a poppin P no matter how hard I try.

Now, what I want to know is, would the cause of the poppin P's be my home stereo speakers or my powered RMS mixer, or both? Would better speakers be what I need? Or do I need another amp.

Hope you guys know the answer.
thanks again friends,
Boo

#160296 - 11/27/00 02:06 PM Re: Don - Donny - Dave everyone HELP AGAIN
Roel Offline

Boo,

I do not agree your 'discovery' saying mikes do not cause plopping sounds.
In fact they do because of two reasons :
Insufficient windscreen.
Singer does generate excessive 'P' or does not sing/talk from the right direction.

It is very important your mouth is placed direct in front of the mike and NOT on one of its sides.

Excessive low EQ can increase P-sounds.
Using a SUB-LOW speaker can increase it as well or can give the impression.

My singer's voice only comes thru the SRM-450's and only the X1 uses the SUB-low via the AUX-1 send channel.

We use the Shure SM58Beta and no P's !!

regards,

Roel

#160297 - 11/27/00 03:36 PM Re: Don - Donny - Dave everyone HELP AGAIN
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Boo,

I agree with Roel. I think the poppin "P"s really ARE coming from the mic.

Poppin "P"s are caused by the strong burst of air released from your mouth when you sing a vowel preceded by the "P" consonant. There are specific vocal techniques which can be used to minimize this problem but short of this, you can purchase a windscreen which fits over the mic to reduce/eliminate this problem.

A home stereo system is not optimized for use as a "live" vocal/keyboard PA system so the specific frequency where the vocal popping occurs may be unduely accentuated on your KLH stereo system. Home stereo systems are fine for playing CDs, tapes, and records, but for professional "live" sound amplification, use the right equipment for the job . . . an amp designed specificly for reproducing "keyboards" and "vocals". If the Crate (not my favorite brand) doesn't sound all that great to you, maybe you need to upgrade to the Carvin AG100 or the terrific sounding Mackie SRM450.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-27-2000).]

#160298 - 11/27/00 04:22 PM Re: Don - Donny - Dave everyone HELP AGAIN
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I turned the bass off and the poppin P's stopped. Maybe the vocal harmonizer when singing low notes affects my home stereo system more than it affects the keyboard amp.
If I can be patient and wait until I sell some of my bricklaying equipment that I don't need anymore (the Brick business in Colorado sucks anyway. All stucco projects now no brick)I can afford the Mackies. Or if my patience gives out I may go with the Carvin AG100. Boy life itself sucks sometimes.
thanks for your help,
Boo

#160299 - 11/27/00 11:48 PM Re: Don - Donny - Dave everyone HELP AGAIN
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, I use the Shure SM58 Beta also. I have used it with everything from sub-bass bins to headphones--no pop.
Almost everybody, when they first start e.q.ing sound, uses too much bass on the vocals. Better mixers usually have a little button to filter off excessive bass on selected channels. The PSR9000 vocal settings also can do this.
A friend that I work with some likes the sound of Shure SM57's. They "pop" very easily. You have to use an external windscreen in addition to the internal foam to stop it. Maybe that's why my mic costs 3 times as much??
The mic makes a difference, but most of it is more than likely e.q.
DonM

#160300 - 11/28/00 06:07 AM Re: Don - Donny - Dave everyone HELP AGAIN
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Boo,

I also use a MB1000 mic except mine is an H and not an L. I don't get popping P's with mine. I have a very deep bass voice that I don't care for so I eq out some of the mid range and boost the highs. I am going to get that EV mic everyone has been raving about. I need all the help I can get on vocals.

Cool picture boo. You remind me of our lead sax player.

Regards,

Tom

Tom

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online