SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#159774 - 03/30/07 01:09 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Probably because of the nature of the beast.

Pop music has always been about style and fluff, or at least a major component of it has. That's not to say that there aren't any talented people in the biz, but it is, after all, a music that doesn't demand close attention to enjoy it. With classical music, it comes down to talent and ability alone, in addition to many years of ongoing study. I don't know that there are too many classical artists who are completely self-taught, as is the case with a fairly large proportion of pop artists.

#159775 - 03/30/07 01:32 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I agree, Rening, but isn't it a pity knowing that we miss out on the real talented ones? What have looks to do with music? Basically what's being sold is an image and, believe me, they sure work hard and spend huge amounts of money, to keep that image intact, whether it'd be a role model or bad boy/girl image. I simply refuse to buy it and let my ears and not my eyes make the decision.

#159776 - 03/30/07 03:05 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
American Idol is NOT a talent competition. It's a scripted, made-up, glitzy attempt to force the next new, sellable, hot thing down the throats of the music buying public. It's not about the breatest talet. it's about WHAT THEY CAN SELL. period.

Sure, some of the finalists have talent. Trillions of people all over the world have talent, and we'll never see it. Pop stars are "MADE" in Hollywood and "sold" till they go out of style. It's not about talent.

If content and talent were important for success there would be no Jerry Springer, reality TV, Pro wrestling ( don't get me started ! )....... American TV is at an all time low right now. I think we need stronger censors, programmers with a conscience, and smarter viewers.

Whew. Sorry. touchy subject for me.
Carry on, my friends ! It's a beautiful day and I have a spring concert for my students in a few hours. This is a REAL talent show. The kids all desearve their shot on stage....even when they stumble and fall, there is no "big, bad judge" to make fun of them or cut their confidence down. These kids are not all great performers, but for 3 minutes on stage ... they sure do feel like it !

#159777 - 03/30/07 03:24 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I'm with you on this one, UD.

#159778 - 03/30/07 04:30 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Yup, you won't get any argument with me on this one, UD. I wrote some time ago that these 'Idol' shows were LCD (Lowest Common Denomintor) TV. But, hey, they entertain a lot of people on one level or another . . . so it serves its purpose, I guess.

#159779 - 04/04/07 06:29 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Dnj Offline

Gina went home tonight....BUT

what was cool Michael Buble` Performed a great rendition with the big band of
"Call Me Irresponsible" due to
Tony Bennets Illness & Hospital stay tonight & couldn't make the show..!!

#159780 - 04/23/07 04:35 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
sorry to resurrect this thread. having watched american idol and finally seeing sanjay leave i was refered to a previous idol contestant who was eliminated quite early in the show. His name is george huff and i just love this guys voice.I dont understand how he did not win out right. So tell me how does someone like Sanjay get so far in the competition with his miniscule vocal talent compared to a giant like George Huff ??? i just dont get it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYYSg3mtufU

#159781 - 04/23/07 05:46 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Dnj Offline

Can you say Melinda DooLittle!
http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season6/melinda_doolittle/

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-23-2007).]

#159782 - 04/27/07 07:47 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Dnj Offline

Idol raises Millions to help children....
so all you people who think Idol is just a stupid no talent karaoke show have a look at what they did last week to benefit the kids around the world.
http://www.americanidol.com/

American Idol.....look between the lines

#159783 - 04/27/07 01:00 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Spalding1:
sorry to resurrect this thread. having watched american idol and finally seeing sanjay leave i was refered to a previous idol contestant who was eliminated quite early in the show. His name is george huff and i just love this guys voice.I dont understand how he did not win out right. So tell me how does someone like Sanjay get so far in the competition with his miniscule vocal talent compared to a giant like George Huff ??? i just dont get it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYYSg3mtufU

In some cases this is more of a popularity contest than a vocal contest ... Sanjaya had the 'teeny-bopper' vote, which is why he stayed as long as he did ...

I am rooting hard for Jordan ...
t.

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online