SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >
Topic Options
#159734 - 01/24/07 02:58 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
I've already stated my gripes with this show's method of building superstars... but yep, I've seen some of it lately and it is definitely wildly entertaining. The Simon guy knows how to make money for sure. They've built a cash cow.

I haven't heard or seen anyone on there this season who blows me away. But it's hard to get blown away acapella.

One thing they've definitely done is they have kind of exploited the mentally challenged or whatever we call them these days. Some of these people, you're left wondering "is this for real?" You know they just have to be a little bit off.

Of course, the crazier, the better these days. TV has definitely gone over the edge regarding the human condition.

I know one thing... that guy on last position last night... they showed a clip of his dad dancing and singing like back in the 50s or 60s. I couldn't hear him, maybe that was muted. But, man, that white man could dance! What was his name? I wonder if there is a youtube clip of him. Man, he could really go! A white James Brown!

I didn't see it, but his dad must have been Roy Head. Had a couple of big hits in the 60's, most noticeably "Treat Her Right". A great entertainer, from Texas I think.
DonM

#159735 - 01/25/07 07:07 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Sundance Head is the son of Roy Head... that guy can wail ...fantastic voice .....

I think he has a sister named Anita ...

#159736 - 01/25/07 07:13 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Dnj Offline

Roy Head has recorded songs in a variety of styles since the 60's and is most closely associated with his giant hit from 1965 Treat Her Right.

He was born in Three Rivers, Texas in 1943. By the early 60's Roy had formed his own band caled the Traits. He was a country singer but ventured into rock-and-roll. The group signed with the Scepter label in 1964, then moved on to a smaller label called Back Beat. It was here that they would have their most success on the pop charts. They recorded their song Treat Her Right and it entered the pop charts in September of 1965. Released as by Roy Head and the Traits, it reached number two both there and on the R&B charts. Although Roy Head was a white singer he had recorded a song in an R&B style, and thus became part of the mid-60's blue-eyed soul movement that also included groups such as the Righteous Brothers and the Boxtops.

Other songs which had been recorded earlier were reissued, either as by Roy himself or by Roy Head and the Traits. Two of these reached the top forty on the pop charts later in 1965, Just A Little Bit and Apple Of My Eye. Roy and his group recorded with other labels, some of which were too small to promote a record into being recognized nationally. They had three more minor hits in 1966. They reached the top 100 just once more with a minor hit in 1971 titled [The World's Going Up In A] Puff Of Smoke.

Roy Head turned his attentions to the country market in the 70's, and continued to record for a variety of record labels. The country hits began to come and Roy rode the country charts into the mid-80's. The most successful country song he released was The Most Wanted Woman In Town in 1975. Roy released a number of albums in the late 70's and early 80's, and there were some compilations issued in the 90's.

So Roy Head and the Traits had a variety of records issued on a variety of labels. They are basicly a country band that records in a rock-and-roll style, sometimes with an R&B influence. The result is a lot of varied, interesting music. Roy himself is an accomplished guitar player and the group is known for putting on a good show, sometimes along the lines of a James Brown dance revival. The big hit from the the 60's, Treat Her Right, was featured in the movie The Commitments.

#159737 - 01/25/07 09:35 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I know I should know this, but who was the 4th judge last night?????
t.

#159738 - 01/25/07 09:54 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I know I should know this, but who was the 4th judge last night?????
t.

Carol Bayer Sager. Hit songwriter mostly, also sings. Also was married to Burt Bacharach.

------------------
Bill
smallGig.com
:::
As a songwriter, I need feedback on songs posted! Thanks!

#159739 - 01/25/07 11:15 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Dnj Offline

#159740 - 01/25/07 12:25 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny...thanks for the interesting info on Roy Head. I remember i liked him in the 60's.

An enjoyable read...

Russ

#159741 - 01/25/07 12:32 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Dnj Offline

Russ.....yes there's so many forgotten artists from the past...good to see their kids are keeping the torch lit!!!
Should be interesting to follow Sundance although a good voice can make it far into the competition with all the different genres that also include good stage presence & emotion throughout the weeks ahead into the finals.

#159742 - 01/25/07 03:09 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Carol Bayer Sager. Hit songwriter mostly, also sings. Also was married to Burt Bacharach.

Bill and Donny ... thank you ... I thought that's who it was, but I wasn't certain ... looks a bit like Joan Collins ... but younger ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-25-2007).]

#159743 - 01/25/07 10:32 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Ha Ha! I just thought of another suitable acronym for American Idol. Earlier in the topic I mentioned LCD television, so I thought that AI might be fitting also, as in Artificial Insemination. Which is what it is: inseminating the TV audience with artificiality.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online