SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >
Topic Options
#159724 - 01/03/07 09:05 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I must agree with Uncle Dave and Semi. I sorta like to watch the really early ones where they are very bad, but I've never gotten past a show or two.
There are only so many hours on my Tivo, and this thing ranks WAY down on the list, behind football, golf, ER, Poker, House, Family Guy and King of the Hill.
DonM

#159725 - 01/04/07 03:00 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Right on, UD and SemiLive. It's LCD TV - LCD as in Lowest Common Denominator. Crap sells.

#159726 - 01/24/07 08:51 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Dnj Offline

Sooooooooooo......what do we think so far.....tonight they are in New York City for auditions....Seattle, Memphis, weren't to promising although a few stood out and were excellent.....we'll see?

#159727 - 01/24/07 09:30 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I disagree with UD, Semi and DonM..

Sure it is entertaining , and hyped in the beginning[sorta like Yamaha..can I still say that ..]..but eventually the cream does com to the top..and they are legitimate talent..as good as any other new talent that is promoted..If you guys don't like it, that is why we have the clickers sitting next to us on the coffee table..

Are you guys the same people that don't like 24?

#159728 - 01/24/07 09:31 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I've already stated my gripes with this show's method of building superstars... but yep, I've seen some of it lately and it is definitely wildly entertaining. The Simon guy knows how to make money for sure. They've built a cash cow.

I haven't heard or seen anyone on there this season who blows me away. But it's hard to get blown away acapella.

One thing they've definitely done is they have kind of exploited the mentally challenged or whatever we call them these days. Some of these people, you're left wondering "is this for real?" You know they just have to be a little bit off.

Of course, the crazier, the better these days. TV has definitely gone over the edge regarding the human condition.

I know one thing... that guy on last position last night... they showed a clip of his dad dancing and singing like back in the 50s or 60s. I couldn't hear him, maybe that was muted. But, man, that white man could dance! What was his name? I wonder if there is a youtube clip of him. Man, he could really go! A white James Brown!

------------------
Bill
smallGig.com
:::
As a songwriter, I need feedback on songs posted! Thanks!

#159729 - 01/24/07 10:04 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
That guy Sundance Head, blew me away last night .... I think his middle name is "in-my" ....

#159730 - 01/24/07 11:07 AM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Renig is right...LCD...lowest common denominator...that's, in essence, the driving factor for the most popular network programming.

"Professional" wrestling, with the required suspension of belief", is a good example. No-one really believes that it is real, but it is popular and entertaining as hell!

In all mass communications efforts, we're in a "sound bite" world. More complicated plots are relegated to a "cable world"...sometimes
non-profit educational television.

We all face the same situation. As music gets more complicated, the audience grows smaller.
Serious players face smaller audience and paychecks, because they end up playing over the heads of the audience.

As a professor of mass communications, I realize that TV is what it is...enjoy it, but don't over-think or take it too seriously.

It is what it is. I like the comedy shows best...Earl, The Office...Scrubs...30 Rock
Saturday Night Live...diversion (and sometimes valid social statements) without a lot of effort.

Relax and enjoy...

Russ

#159731 - 01/24/07 12:59 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Let me know when they're down to the final 10, then I'll check in. Till then, I'm catching up on the 1st 4 seasons of 24... just got into it last year. Now why can't we get a real president like David Palmer!?!

Glenn

#159732 - 01/24/07 01:21 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Glenn, I hope I don't ruin it for you...but they assassinate David Palmer

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 01-24-2007).]

#159733 - 01/24/07 01:37 PM Re: o/t AMERICAN IDOL ARE YOU READY...again?
Dnj Offline

OK... so far as I've picked every year my early Top 2 finalists are ....

16-year old Jordin Sparks whose father is NFL's Felipe Sparks, is going to Hollywood.
Beauty, a killer voice and charisma !

The nervous Melissa Dolittle wowed the judges with her rendition of "For Once In My Life," sending her to Hollywood. Randy and Simon both say she's one of the best singers on the show.

" IMO She was amazing"

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online