SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#159497 - 05/29/02 11:36 AM REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I am considering buying the Yamaha PSR 9000 or the PSR 9000 PRO. I would appreciate a reply and a recommendation from anyone knowledgeable about these two boards. I am thinking of buying one or the other as a companion to my KN6000. I have passed on the KN6500, and I am beginning to feel like I am going to pass on the KN7000. It seems to me that Yamaha has everything already in the PRO or as an accessory that the top end technics should have had two models back.
I have the best price so far from xxxxxx for the PRO at $2800 discounted from list price of 4000.00, no tax and just freight of maybe 40.00 or thereabouts. I did not get their price on the non pro 9000 yet but it lists for 3500.00 so comparably should be about 2450.00. I did find three new ones offered for 2200.00 in San Jose, Calif.All these prices are US Dollars for those of you in Europe/UK.
Please post advise here, on Yamaha forum or on Technics forum or email me at
bforrest@ix.netcom.com
Best to you and Yours
Bebop moderator of the Technics Forum

------------------
BEBOP
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

#159498 - 05/29/02 02:04 PM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Bill "BEBOP",
I can`t advise you on the "Yamaha`s" your looking at as I have the Y2K, But at : www.music123.com you can get a 9000Pro for $2739.99 (free s/h) not sure about "tax". If I was to get another KB I think I would "pass-on" "Yamaha" although I`m "kind`a-like`n" the Y2K, the build quality just is not there. It sounds great all "Yamaha" KB sound great if they could just add quality to there sound I would be a customer for life. The "Wersi-Abacus" is very.... "pricey" and I have no absolute knowlage, but they "look" like a fine KB and the spec`s are good. But if they don`t sound as good as "Yamaha" it could be a mistake. Also if you have a chance, "check out" the new "Gem-Genesys" when George Kaye get back. If you don`t need it right away.
Best of luck with whatever you chose.
jedi

#159499 - 05/29/02 04:05 PM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: BEBOP
The PSR9000 & 9000 PRO have the good sound Jedi
talks about & also has the quality built into the keyboard
also, but they are heavy PSR9000 51lbs. 9000 PRO 45 lbs.
no speakers in the PRO .
The vocal harmonizer is great in both boards.

I have the Technics KN5000 & the 9000 PRO
I love the 9000 PRO GREAT board.
Have had the PRO 15 months & no trouble with it yet.

It took me a little while to get used to the OS on the Yamaha
as they do things different then Technics, but now I find it to
be as easy or maybe easier to use then the Technics.

If you have any questions send me a Email & I will try to help.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

#159500 - 05/29/02 07:07 PM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Hey BEBOP,

I think everybody should get stuck a few times. Kind of keeps them on their toes so they don’t get stuck again. I remember when I was a kid and lived with my Grandpa during the depression. On this one super hot summer day my dad had a little extra cash and decided to get a big fat juicy watermelon, soak it in a tub of ice water and call up the relatives for a party. When the time came dad sliced open the melon. It was awful, not ripe at all. My grandpa told dad, see, I told you to stick it and plug it before you bought it. Well let me tell you that was the last time old dad got stuck with a bad one. So BEBOP don’t get stuck with something before you test it real good.

I’m glad you had the good judgment to inquire and get opinions before you decide to purchase. Good thinking! In fact after I present my expert advice chances are you will see it prudent to seek no other. After many many years of making decisions, executing purchases and the like I have come up with this scheme of virtual perfection. Ninety nine point ninety nine percent foolproof. And I must say, pure genius. And now I shall present my expert advice for the acquiring a companion for your 6000. Get what you like. If the six can’t get along with the nine divorce them. If you get stuck with it invoke the old Chinese proverb - You fool me once, shame on you. You fool me twice shame on me.

The only thing I haven’t worked out to make this one hundred percent perfecct, is Ruthie. Well Ruthie is OK, it’s just her mouth. Why does she always say - I told you so, see, I told told you so!!! Those words just make me feel bad all over.

Well BEBOP even if you don’t take my advice I had fun giving it. Just remember, planing and looking forward to buying or doing something is always more fun than maintaining it.

Grandpa Doug

#159501 - 05/29/02 09:20 PM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Bill
Wow! You're ready to get a Yamaha! You won't regret it. But first, why not wait until June 9 and you will have a chance to play the PSR2000. They're very similar so you can see if you like Yamaha in general.
Tom G.

#159502 - 05/30/02 01:39 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi BEBOP,
Happy to pass on my experience. I have owned a 9000PRO for about 12 months now. Before buying it I had a good shop around even though at that time, I played a PSR640. My impression is that It's a great instrument and a great "all round performer". I chose it over the 9000 because of the 76 keys (vs 61 on the 9000) and amoungst other things, its great keyboard feel (totally different - for me, superior - to all the other PSR's). The build quality is very strong. The sounds and equipment level are great (apart from the great feel and the 76 keys), these were the deciding factors for me. I put in a 10GB internal hard disk, the detachable lights, a foot controller and volume peddle, and a shure WH20 headset microphone. I run it through a pair of powered (120W each) amps.
Over-all if I had to make the choice again I would still go for the 9000PRO. I am fairly critical of this sought of technollogy but have no complaints about the 9000PRO. It just delivers everytime I call on it (and that is everyday).
I hope this helps you.

Jon.

#159503 - 05/30/02 04:10 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
I would "pass-on" "Yamaha", the build quality just is not there

That is only true of the PSR line up. They are made cheap to be priced cheap. the 9kPRO is a professional keyboard in every sense.
It feels great, it's solid, and has all the bells and whistles to keep you busy for a long time. The only drawback (for alot of us) is the LACK of speakers, the extra length and exsessive weight. If you have a roady, or don't move it much .... it's the BEST all-in-one keyboard I ever saw.
Oh yeah .... it's expandable too.(sounds AND polyphony)

#159504 - 05/30/02 06:26 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
I've owned my 9KPro for about 6 weeks and it is the most impressive keyboard I've ever seen much less owned. There are sounds in the 9000 Pro that are not in the PSR9000 so you should check the 9kPro out thoroughly. The PSR9000 is very cumbersome because of it's speakers and shape whereas the 9000 Pro is lighter and more streamlined. I love using the gooseneck lights on the 9kPro, which gives off a nice glow from the stage and is bright enough to illuminate my sheet music. You can get very deep with this keyboard and I am still spending a lot of time customizing the settings for my use and taste. And guys, can we lighten up on the fact that the 9000 Pro doesn't have speakers? Can anyone here imagine what a 76-key 9kPro with speakers would look like and weigh considering what the PSR9000 is like? I don't need another bulky 70 or 80lb keyboard! I use a pair of easily-transported powered JBL EON 10's that weigh 27lbs each and deliver up to 175 watts per cab of clean sound. They sit on the floor tilted up towards me and do the job, small or large, that no internal keyboard speakers could ever do. That's why Yamaha took the "PSR" label from the 9000 Pro, and I'm glad. They didn't call it the "9000 Semi-Pro" or the "9000 Advanced-Home-Instrument" for a reason.

One other thing: I realize that most people really love their keyboards (that's why they bought them) but I couldn't own a PSR2000 for the simple reason that 64 notes of polyphony is just not enough, at least for me, when using accompaniment or midi file playback along with live performance on the same instrument. The 9000's come with 128 note polyphony and even that seemed a little cramped, so I opted for the piano expansion card for my 9Kpro, which by itself has as much polyphony as the PSR2000 (64 notes). If you're going to go, might as well go-rilla!

And finally, another reason I chose the 9kPro for was intimidation, I admit it. I have to compete with other keyboardists in my area so I went with the mothership, and that's just what the 9000 Pro looks and performs like. There is a big oo-ah factor involved when the audience, my employers and my competitors see and hear the 9000 Pro. This doesn't look like something just anyone could just waltz in and play unlike most of the other PSR's. If you don't buy the best, you'll always wonder what you're missing and just how good your performance could have been. The 9000 Pro a 21st century instrument and those who master it are at the top of the game.

#159505 - 05/30/02 01:40 PM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
The Psr 9000 has 36MB of sound the 9000 Pro has 48MB of sound, including a great Grand Piano. I love the 76 synth action keys.

I love my Pro too, and with the Psr 2000/CVP209 Styles it sounds great.

I'm with Esh, that I don't need internal speakers. I'm quite happy without them.

Eric

#159506 - 05/30/02 02:16 PM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I think the 9000pro & PSR9000 are wonderful top of the line models, but I think you should not overlook the PSR2000. One strong advantage (other than it's much lower price ($1,000 vs $2800 street price & much lighter weight/size, 24 vs 50 lbs) it that the PSR2000's OTS (one touch settings) are stored as part of the style itself. The OTS settings on the PSR9000/9000pro (on the other hand) are not incorporated as part of the style, but stored saved as a 'separate' file.

Yamaha's high end (very expensive) Clavinova Piano (CVP209) includes many fantastic new styles which incorporate the custom OTS settings within the style itself. Beakybird (Larry) spent hours tweaking these custom OTS settings to sound terrific on the PSR2000.

OTS (one touch settings) include 4 solo (panel voices) matched to each given style, similar to the way Panel memory functions with your Technics KN6000 keyboard.

CVP209 styles loaded into the PSR2000 will include the OTS settings. On the other hand, CVP209 and PSR2000 styles loaded into the PSR9000 or 9000 pro, only play the style itself, and don't include the OTS voice setups.

Another IMPORTANT UPDATE:
I recently setup & customized my PSR2000's powerful MusicFinder database feature in combination with its OTS (voice) settings for performing the majority of my material and find it immensely useful. I currently have my complete core repetoire (about 460 songs) stored in the MusicFinder. Now I can quickly access any song and the correct style, tempo with appopriate OTS voice settings come up automatically as well. This can all be pulled up in a matter of just a few seconds. The Music Finder also allows me to conveniently pull up & select a tune from a song list 'by category' (ballads, latin, funk, dance, country, favs, etc). Though I still use the Reg Memory and Reg Sequence feature for selected showcase material, I'm primarily using the Music Finder along with OTS now . I look forward to showing you this when we meet on the 9th.

I 'still' recommend the PSR2000 highly. It's sounds fantastic & is holding up well for me.

- Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-30-2002).]

#159507 - 05/31/02 05:50 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
rgtaa Offline

I have owned the psr9000 for about 8 months now and bought it at Mars Music for 1699 ... floor model. I love it ...I installed the 64 megs for the sampler and 8 gig hard drive option which psr2000 doesn't have .... the Built-In Wood Encased Speakers sound loud for small to medium room jam sessions. I have owned roland xp-80 and I'm use to 50 pounds ... gee ...my amps weighs about the same (JBL EON powered speakers). I compose and play mostly at home ... and taking it out to jam with friends isn't bad ... I tryed the psr2000 but it looked and seemed flimsy compared to the psr9000. I played the 9000 pro but I miss the speakers and I wouldn't have gotten the expansion boards for it if i bought it .. and it was 1000 dollars more.
I downloaded thousands of styles (yamaha,roland,ect) from the internet and imported them into the hard drive ... and thousands of karioke and midi songs ... it will take a long time to fill my 8 gig hard drive!
I can afford to get the prs2000 also ...but I played it in Sam Ash stores for about a week ... and I just didn't like it ... came home turned the psr9000 on and played it ... and said! "Man ... BIG BIG difference between the two models! Yugo (psr2000) to Lexus (psr9000) .
But if you can't afford the 9000 models ... hey ... you get what you pay for. All I know is what I can imagine I can play on my prs9000 ... so it's heaven for the musican in me!
I would love to get the build quality of the 9000 in the size and weight of the prs2000 ...as many on this board write ... hope yamaha is listening!

p.s. Scott ... OTS settings can be saved using the Registrations ... i have 500 registration settings ... one button calls it all up (sytle,ots,vocializer settings,Pads,tempo,ect)and I can see Names of 8 Songs in Window for each Bank of Registrations and pick the one I want ... and I can save my sytles in hard drive and registration will call it up!

I downloaded from the net a file that contained 500 registrations all ready made! COOL!

And I love the PADS! I have lots of Banks of them! Each PAD can have 4 instuments playing solo's or rythmes in addition to regular accomplaments... I can push a button and a sax solo will start ... chord sensitive! and another and guitar stum ... ect... so it adds another diminsion to my playing! And I also downloaded from the Net ... banks of Pads already made! WOW! COOL STUFF!

Scott ... I went to your homepage and played your music... GREAT stuff!

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 05-31-2002).]

#159508 - 05/31/02 06:11 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Scottyee:
Let me add one other cool and underlooked feature of the PSR2000 for you: it is one of the first to implement the new XF Scorch file format that allows it to display scrolling sheet music, which is utterly useful and something the 9000 series does not do (yet?). It'll likely be in the new Tyros series I'm guessing.
I can't get over the 64-note polyphony limitation of the PSR2000 though... frankly, to perform the way I do would require me to own not less than two of them and even then I wouldn't have the polyphony of my expanded 9Kpro. In fact, I was using a Kurzweil PC88 and a Roland EM-2000 on stage for performance and I replaced both of them with my 9000 Pro.

Esh http://www.mp3.com/esh

#159509 - 05/31/02 07:55 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
BEBOP Offline

Thank you People, Y'all are really great. These are truly great posts of priceless info and I owe you, each and everyone of you. I feel I am getting closer to that decision everytime I come here and read more of these excellent posts on the subject.
This is dificult for me because even though I have had keyboards since 1972 and a project recording studio since 1987, I have never owned a piece of Yamaha Equipment. I also had the attitude of many that their equipment was Department Store Toys. I begin to evolve through that when I bought the first Technics keyboard, a KN800, and I am now on my third Technics, a kn6000. I am seriously considering the 9000 pro now. I think I am more inclined to that keyboard after reading all your posts on three of the forums here on the SYNTH ZONE
Thank you all so much and best to you all from,
BEBOP

#159510 - 06/01/02 09:46 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Dear rgtaa,

Where can I find that Registration Files Download for the 9k you mention???

THANKS!

Bob Gelman

#159511 - 06/01/02 09:51 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Dear Bebop,

You should check out the resources available to you on the net for the PSR's. You have NO IDEA what we've done at the PSR Styles, PSR Songs, SVP World, Jorgen's site, etc. It is a reason in itself to consider a move to the PSR line. We've put many thousands of styles up for free download. We have scores of amazing computer programs custom designed for the PSR's that can do amazing things.

Start you examination of what I'm talking about here: http://home7.inet.tele.dk/js/musik/740pages/

Cheers,

Bob Gelman

#159512 - 06/03/02 07:58 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
BEBOP Offline

Thank you all for your excellent posts. Between my research and your posts and emails, I am beginning to feel like I can now make an informed, responsible decision. I have decided on the 9000 PRO that will be the best fit for full time work in my project recording studio only. The KN6000 Technics will continue to travel with me in the motorhome.
I have a firm price from inventory of 2733, no tax and freight/insurance prepaid.
Looks like a win/win situation to me.
I will be happy to have those 76 keys and hard drives, as well as all the other benefits and goodies
Best to all from
Bebop

#159513 - 06/03/02 08:47 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: BEBOP
Congrat's on your decision to get the 9000 PRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think you will ever regret buying the PRO.
It is a great keyboard.
As I said before I went from the Technic's KN5000
to the PRO, (I still have the 5000) but never play it,
just keep it for a spare.
You will have to join us at Yamaha-psr-styles group &
the Yamaha-psr-song's group, a great bunch of
guy's & gals. & ton's of new styles & midi songs.
All kinds of help when you need it.
Here are the links if you don't already have them.
And it's all free. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-psr-styles/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-psr-songs/

Here is a link to SVP World also http://www.svpworld.com/index.html

Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

#159514 - 06/03/02 08:24 PM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
couldn't find those CVP209 styles several people have mentioned...any idea where they're posted?
many thanks in advance...

#159515 - 06/04/02 12:36 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tom, they are no longer on the web because Yamaha demanded that they be taken down.
I will email them to you.
DonM

#159516 - 06/04/02 06:05 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
rgtaa Offline

Bob
I got the Registrations and Pads from the PRS Styles Forum when I did a SEARCH within the Forum!

rgtaa

#159517 - 06/04/02 12:50 PM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
rgtta,
I read in one of your posts that you have added the 64 meg memory to your 9000. I want to do the same but have not been able to find a place to buy them (or even which chips will actually work). Where did you get yours?
Thanks,
Deaton

#159518 - 06/04/02 02:35 PM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Tom, they are no longer on the web because Yamaha demanded that they be taken down. I will email them to you.
DonM

Actually the CV209 files are now located on the Yahoo Groups 'PSR2000' forum site:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/psr2000

You'll need to first join the Yahoo Groups PSR2000 forum (free), and then click on the 'files' section to download the free styles:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/psr2000/files/

In addition to the CV209 stuff, there are other PSR2000 styles you can download (for free) and checkout as well.

Scott

#159519 - 06/04/02 02:39 PM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I forgot they were there now. Anyway, I mailed them.
DonM

#159520 - 06/05/02 04:52 AM Re: REQUEST ADVICE ON PSR9000 AND PRO
rgtaa Offline

Deatonent
I got the 64 meg simms (32meg x 2) from Staples store ... PNY brand ... it cost 79 dollars about 2 months ago.
I have the box in front of me and I'll read you the name and serial number from the box! I tryed 3 or 4 times to get the right simms chip for the psr9000... so I know how frustrating it is! From what I hear the PSR9000 takes a different chip than the 9000 PRO! So I'm talking about the PSR9000 ... OK!

The package is Yellow: (don't get it in red packaging... different production of chip which didn't work)

PNY technologies
MEMORY MASTER Complete Upgrade Kit
7280060se-cs
64mb edo upgrade kit

Good luck in your search! It gives you 12 minutes of sampling time or can store tons of sampled sounds ... There are tons of WAV files online ... funny jokes, weather sounds, gun sounds, anything in WAV format works ... lots of possibilities ... 1 meg is 11 secs of sampling which is in the unit by default ...

I jammed with some guitar players and as they were singing and playing I sampled their whole song ... and then latter played it back ... and the audiance couldn't tell if they were singing the same song again! It sounded that good! Even the guys standing next to the singer were fooled ... thinking the guy was singing!

I got different people to say some phrase like " that's stupid" or " hey... leave me alone" ... and then would incorperate it into any of my songs ... with a touch of a key!

The 11 sec default sample in prs900 is also for playback too... so if you want to playback a premade sample your total is 11 seconds (without the upgrade)... that's why 12 minutes is way better ... you can have instant acces to lots of playback samples in sample Banks. Some people didn't know that on other forums... they mistakenly thought it was only for recording and you could latter load sample Banks from hard drive! You can't! Yes... you can load one or 2 short ones for a total of 11 seconds! ... once I realized this... then I knew I needed the upgrade!
How about " THIS IS THE POLICE.... THIS is a raid" ... with sirens and guns shooting SOUNDS ... as you are playing in some gig! LOL

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 06-05-2002).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online