SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159468 - 05/03/03 11:35 AM OT: Studio Reference Monitors
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Hello all,

I am interested in buying a high quality (and good brand) active studio monitors. Any idea of what is good out there in $800 - $900 (pair) range?

What is your opinion of:
Tannoy Reveal
Mackie HR624
Tannoy 600A(little bit over my budget but if it is that much better I can consider this)

8thstreet.com also has a Tannoy Reveal Actives + PS110B Sub package for $950 which I really like. Any feedback?

Thanks

#159469 - 05/03/03 01:39 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by harosha:

Tannoy Reveal
Mackie HR624

I love the sound of the Reveal, and I love the red color (my weakness). They are passive, so you need an amp.
The Mackie 824's are much better. The larger box makes the tone more acurate to my ears, and the power ... whew ! They kick.

I have a used set of yamaha MS5's that you can buy at a great price ... they are active and also kick butt. Email me for numbers, if you're interrested.

I also have a set of Event 2020's that I'll let go if I can move into the Reveals. I have no working cash at tghe moment, so all deals must be generated from existing gear !

(story of my life !)

#159470 - 05/03/03 05:11 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
I'm still looking for a pair of studio reference monitors like you, so any help would really help me too...
thanks in advance..

#159471 - 05/03/03 07:40 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
harosha Offline

After doing a lot of research on the net I kind of narrowed my search down to Mackie HR824 and KRK V8. So, I went to my local guitar center and checked them out. Mackie seems to have a deeper low end which sounded really nice, they also look a lot better than the V8. The KRK V8 have less lower end but MIDs sound awesome. God, I still can't decide which one to get!!

Do you guys think that adding a sub helps with the monitoring? or is it only needed for 5.1 surround mixing? I was thinking may be I can buy the V8 and later on add a sub. or should I go with the Mackie. Any ideas?

BTW, the lowest price I have found for HR824 is $1198 and for $1049 fr V8. Do you know where I can get these any cheaper?

#159472 - 05/03/03 08:20 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Harosha: I've got a pair of Genelec 1029A's with 1091A subwoofer and very happy with the sound of this setup. This model's been out for a few years now, so perhaps there might be newer & (better?) options available now, but it's still a winner & still popularly used in pro recording studios.

Sound on Sound Magazine Review: http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/1997_articles/feb97/genelecmons.html

Audio Review: http://www.audioreview.com/Main+Speaker/Genelec+1029a/PRD_119541_1594crx.aspx

Scott

#159473 - 05/03/03 09:39 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I'd like to put my two cents in. Behringer Truths are unbelievable at $399.00 for the pair. They are 225 watts per speaker (150 watts to the woofer and 75 watts to the tweeter) of bi-amp active monitors. I've compared them to the Mackie monitors and I like the Truths better. I also carry the Yamaha's, the midi man studio 8's and since stocking the Truths, these are all I'm selling.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#159474 - 05/04/03 03:37 AM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
I have those Genelec 1029A active speakers also and I love the sound. Genelec is probably the best maker of studio speakers. They are made here in Finland.

#159475 - 05/04/03 07:06 AM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
trtjazz Offline

Genelec is pretty proud of those monitors at about $1k aren't they?
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#159476 - 05/04/03 07:38 AM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
harosha Offline

I will try to check out Genelec today. I am not too sure about Behringer, I used to have a compressor that went bad on me in a month, so I am not sure how reliable their stuff is. I'll check them out though.

#159477 - 05/04/03 11:47 AM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
trtjazz Offline

Here's a review worth reading if you're looking for monitors:
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.ns...6a?OpenDocument

Terry

------------------
jam on,

#159478 - 05/04/03 11:55 AM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
harosha Offline

Thanks Terry. I actually read this article last night. Looks like Mackie is a clear winner for both price and sound!

I also just came back from the local Sam Ash where I listened to Mackie 824's, it really is awesome. I wanted to buy them but they weren't in stock. So I'll just go ahead and order on-line I guess. The lowest price I have found so far is $1140(pr) shipped. Let me know if you know any place that has it any less than that.

Thanks much for all your help guys!!

#159479 - 05/04/03 03:04 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
trtjazz Offline

Harosha,
Believe this or not the other monitors you should have a listen to are the M Audio Studiophile BX 5. I have a set and they are superb.....flat response adding very little if any color to what I've recorded. To top it all off.....$300.00/pair at GC. Before someone scoffs at "cheap" monitors....the entire point of monitors is to give the flatest response as possible not to necessarily sound good or bad. They are meant to give an accurate representation of what you've just recorded and these monitors do that.

Not too many people are going to be listening to our work through Mackie 824's. It costs nothing to have a listen to the BX 5's and you should before laying down the cash, I was delightfully blown away by them.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#159480 - 05/04/03 08:01 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I'd like to put my two cents in. Behringer Truths are unbelievable at $399.00 for the pair. They are 225 watts per speaker (150 watts to the woofer and 75 watts to the tweeter) of bi-amp active monitors. I've compared them to the Mackie monitors and I like the Truths better. I also carry the Yamaha's, the midi man studio 8's and since stocking the Truths, these are all I'm selling.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

George is right! The Behringer Truth B2031 Monitors are the "Bomb!!". These are ACTIVE Monitors Bi-Amp'd! with 8.75" Woofers! and at $399 a PAIR!!! They also are Electro-magnetically Sheilded so you can place them near other Electonic devices and there will be NO RF or any other type of interference in the sound. They weigh in at 15kg (33 lbs.) each, giving the impression that they are very solidly built to last! For the price they can't be beat...

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Read the scoop here: http://www.musiciansnews.com/mastering/21/b2031_truth_monitor_speakers.shtml And also check out the Specs!

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 05-04-2003).]

#159481 - 05/04/03 08:30 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
Scottyee Offline

The IMPORTANT thing when choosing near field monitors is finding a pair which doesn't color or enhance (hype) the sound in any way, but instead reproduces the flat-est (smooth) frequency response over the entire audio spectrum. If at all possible, go into a store with a CD of your own music and compare. Different ref monitors seem to react differently to different genres & styles of music and your individual taste will be the determining factor in which monitor is best for you. - Scott

#159482 - 05/05/03 09:42 AM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
RINGO Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY USA
Hi harosha

I have a pair of Mackie HR-624 Active Monitors, and they sound great, I like them very much.

A little words of wisdom.

Even if you have the best monitoring system in the world, if your studio room sucks, everything else will to.

Peace.

RIngo

#159483 - 05/05/03 01:23 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
harosha Offline

Thanks guys! I just picked up a pair of HR824 from GC over lunch. I took a CD of my mix and listened to some of the monitors and kept coming back to Mackie. I kind of knew what part of my mix had problems and Mackie seemed to be the most accurate to my ears. I haven't taken them home yet. I'll let you guys know how they sound in my room.

RINGO: I am confident about my room where I mix. I have controlled most of the acoustics in the room using acoustic foam and bass traps.

#159484 - 05/05/03 03:53 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
mix and listened to some of the monitors and kept coming back to Mackie.

Harosha: Trust YOUR ears. Sounds like you found the perfect monitor match for your music & taste. Congratulations and let us know how they work out in your studio. - Scott

#159485 - 05/05/03 05:27 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
RINGO Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY USA
Quote:
Thanks guys! I just picked up a pair of HR824 from GC over lunch. I took a CD of my mix and listened to some of the monitors and kept coming back to Mackie. I kind of knew what part of my mix had problems and Mackie seemed to be the most accurate to my ears. I haven't taken them home yet. I'll let you guys know how they sound in my room.

RINGO: I am confident about my room where I mix. I have controlled most of the acoustics in the room using acoustic foam and bass traps.

Good choice of Monitors, glad to hear you have a good studio room.

Peace.

Ringo

#159486 - 05/07/03 01:35 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
harosha Offline

I finally got the Mackies setup last night. The settings in the back to tailor the sound to match your room is awesome! I listened to some CDs and some of my Mix's and they sounded very detailed compared to my Alesis monitor 2. I didn't get a chance to mix anything yet but I will be working on that over the weekend hopefully. Thanks all for your help. Your suggestions really gave me a lot to think about and make a better decision.

I have another question for you guys. Do you use any CD/Album as a reference to mix your own music? I would imagine everyone uses something as a reference. I am more interested in finding out rock/alternative/pop style music that you might consider as excellent mix and use as a reference.

[This message has been edited by harosha (edited 05-07-2003).]

#159487 - 05/07/03 03:38 PM Re: OT: Studio Reference Monitors
trtjazz Offline

Quote:

I have another question for you guys. Do you use any CD/Album as a reference to mix your own music? I would imagine everyone uses something as a reference. I am more interested in finding out rock/alternative/pop style music that you might consider as excellent mix and use as a reference.

[This message has been edited by harosha (edited 05-07-2003).][/B]

Steely Dan is as good as mixes get.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online