SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#159396 - 10/18/00 07:32 AM My 3rd Week with the Solton X1 and ........
Dnj Offline

I'm loving every giging minute with it. Man this keyboard is a creative powerhouse that lets me be as original as I want to be. I am now settling in with it and feeling comfortable on stage playing the X1. Now when you sit back and take a look the X1 is very well laid out for my style playing and the features really make performing a pleasurable experience. Besides all the great X1 styles, I have been feeling very at home being the X1 sounds great with converted styles from my sentimentaly adored KN5000, the converted styles sound great from the Yamaha PSR8000 too just load and play most of them with minor changes to sounds vol etc. Roland and GEM styles leave alot to be desired in a converted form on the X1. It's like having all the top arranger keyboards wrapped all in one unit. I am now used to the semi weighted keys vs the light touch on the KN5000. When you kick in that aftertouch feature using a Blues Guitar it sounds like BB King is in the house :>)I find I like the Upright Piano sound the best for Traditional Piano playing with styles among many other Piano sounds. The "In your Face" drums and overall Real band sound drives me to new limits while performing live it's awesome! I had to have a few days alone with the X1 and set up each style for each of my songs , tweaking volumes, sounds, drum sets, parimeters, but when you get it to your liking just save them your Good To Go. If I could do it anybody can, with some help from friends, the x1 Video, asking questions on the grerat Solton Group Email list server, the Manual, and years of a little arranger keyboard experience keyboard. This keyboard is so versatile. I feel like I got an Octane Boost when I perform now too >)The favorites one touch sound bank is excellent to access your favorite sounds with out searching thru the banks it holds 48 of them.
The Vocalizer sounds very nice for that rich Oakridge boyz, Letterman, or Everly Bros. sound. Midis really shine due to the great sound bank the draw from, and being able to look for and get ready another Midi while one is playing is a feature I really like.You can also Chain multi songs for breaks or dinner music eg: Jazz Piano songs etc. I havn't tried the sequencer yet but I will after Xmas when It slows down a bit. I'm happy enough just being able to enjoy this fine instrument and being calm and confident again that I made the right choice and in only 3 weeks I am at a higher level performing then I was priviously a few weeks ago. Changing rigs is a little scary but it's like the LOTTERY....."If Ya Don't Play, Ya Can't Win!!
Follow ypour musical dreams and make it happen!
I'll post more on this in the coming weeks.

L8tr,

Donny

#159397 - 10/18/00 08:42 AM Re: My 3rd Week with the Solton X1 and ........
Roel Offline

Donny,

I enjoy reading your posts... It is great to see other musicians feel the same I did (and still do !)

Roel

#159398 - 10/18/00 09:27 AM Re: My 3rd Week with the Solton X1 and ........
Dnj Offline

hey Roel,
Yes indeed, the X1 was a Great choice for me.
I'm learning everyday. Sharing with other X1 users is a great thing also.

take care

donny

#159399 - 10/18/00 10:26 AM Re: My 3rd Week with the Solton X1 and ........
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Donny (and Roel too)

I'm most fasinated with your recent Solton X1 posts, particularly because you guys transitioned recently to the X1 from the Technics KN5000 (the keyboard I currently use).

Could you possibly outline (coming from your longtime experience as a KN5000 performer)the differences "pros' and "cons" of both keyboards for "live performance"? What are the added features of the X1 which really shine above the KN5000 and which features of the KN5000 do you miss on the Solton X1?

I think part of my reluctance of switching brands (so far)is my "fear" of all the work its' going to be not only to learn how to navigate a whole new OS (styles/sounds) but also to attempt to transport my entire song style collection over to the X1 as well. (I have hundreds of customized song styles I created & have stored on my KN5000's hard drive).How easy is it to get this over to the X1 successfully, or do I have to start from scratch on the X1? (I own the EMC style converter program but even this would take a lot of time/work and I believe the style conversion is never as good as the original source.)

By the way, which "acoustic piano patch" do you prefer for playing "exposed" solo piano ballads?: The X1 or KN5000? How would you describe the sound quality differences?

Also, does the vocalizer on the X1 have the same quality/features as the standalone unit from Digitech: "Vocalist Worksation EX"? I currently have to take this unit along with me if I want harmonies so it would be nice to have one less thing to have to pack and set up.

One other question is in regards to internal arranger keyboard speakers. Interesting to hear that you find the internal speakers sufficient for performance (even small nursing home gigs). I have always found the internal speakers (at least on the KN5000) to be insufficient to produce a truly profesional quality sound. The sound just doesn't do the keyboard justice.I always augment the KN5000 with my keyboard amp (Roland KC-300), even for the smallest of rooms, to provide "smoother and richer" sounding bass and mid range (to bring out my vocals). I just won't do 'any gig' with just the keyboard alone. It just doesn't sound professional enough to me. I am curious how the X1's built in speakers compare in this regard.

Roel, what PA system do you use with your X1? Do you ever gig with your X1 alone (without the addition of an external powered PA)?

I'm still 'leanin' towards the X1 as a keyboard addition (but also still considering the PSR9000pro, GEM WK8-SE, Korg PA80). Problem is this is probably the worst time of year to consider a new keyboard purchase because the busiest time of year for gigging musicians (winter holidays) is quickly approaching.

Make music and be happy

Scott

#159400 - 10/18/00 01:15 PM Re: My 3rd Week with the Solton X1 and ........
Dnj Offline

hi Scott,

"Could you possibly outline (coming from your longtime experience as a KN5000 performer)the
differences "pros' and "cons" of both keyboards for "live performance"?

The sound quality on the X1 is very Real all around giving a much better "LIVE BAND" feel when performing versus the KN5000. The heavier key action is nice and professional feeling with the semi weighted keys. I do miss the Sound pads (very convient for certain ocassions), I also miss the on screen custom style list menu. The styles on the X1 wiil let you chnge alot of your songs for the better due to the better sound of the instruments, but like I did converting most of the Technics styles with a little tweaking to the X1 sound very very good and that alone made me feel at Home with the X1. Yamaha 8000 styles convert nicely alson it's like haveing al top keyboards in one.. The X1 styles variations seem to progress from 1 thru 4 much smoother then the K5 allowing you to use more variations unlike the k5 where sometimes if you go from 2 to 3 you get a very unusable style thats not in the same family. 3intos and endings & a break, are nice too on the X1. It just feels more rugged too. being able to search fro a midi song when one is playing is something the K5 couldn't to either.

"I think part of my reluctance of switching brands (so far)is my "fear" of all the work its' going
to be not only to learn how to navigate a whole new OS (styles/sounds) but also to attempt
to transport my entire song style collection over to the X1 as well. (I have hundreds of
customized song styles I created & have stored on my KN5000's hard drive).How easy is it to
get this over to the X1 successfully, or do I have to start from scratch on the X1?"

scott I did it in 3 weeks with help. Of course it takes work but we are professionals right? If your not going to get rid of your K5 work with the X1 at home making all your changes then when your ready you'l go out and gig with it. I didn't have that option. Internal speakes onthe X1 are superior to the K5, no distortion at max level, the vocalizer is the same as the digitec I believe, so you can do small gigs in a small restaurant or nursing home without lugging an amp around. I personally don't like the sound of a keyboard amp I prefer using a Good PA system like my MACKIE Sr450 powered speakers or JBL powered EONS with a small mixer. It can be mounted up in the air on stands, pointed in any direction,
use one or two at a time, or on the floor diagnaly pointig to the cieling for that Bounce efect in close quarters.How easy it will be to convert depends on you and your experience and personal preferences. I feel I sound better nowand there is much room for making it sound even better down the road when I get the time to do so. Don't be afraid of change just "Go For It"

"By the way, which "acoustic piano patch" do you prefer for playing "exposed" solo piano
ballads?: The X1 or KN5000? How would you describe the sound quality differences?"

Right now I enjoy the UPRIGHT PIANO SOUND and ROCK PIANO for that purpose. Scott in my opinion the X1 has a better all around LIVE Sound for sure.

I hope this helps

Donny

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-18-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online