SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15893 - 08/14/01 07:20 AM WK8 audio routing revisted
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
I had posted this earlier but I think it was lost during the server crash a while back. The WK8 has 4 audio outs. I like to route the first 2 to inputs 1 and 2 of my 8 input souncard to record the arranger. I then route the vocals out of outputs 3 and 4 into inputs 3 and 4 of the soundcard to record the any vocals on seperate tracks. The only way I can keep the vocals truly seperate is to turn off the effects in the mic/line editing dialog. Otherwise, the arranger also appears in the output 3 and 4 mix. I can live with this because I can always add effects to the vocal tracks from within cakewalk. Actually, recording the tracks dry is the preferred way to record because if you record tracks wet that's forever what you get. I'm probably answering my own question huh. I like being able to hear effects when I record though. Just don't want to record them. hmmm... I guess my question to Chris or sk880user would be why does the arranger appear in outputs 3 and 4 when its set in the mixer to be routed out l and r (1 and 2). And why can I remove the arranger from outputs 3 and 4 by turning of the effects in the mic/line section. In other words, I go to Edit General mic/line input and set E1.Send = 0 and E2.Send = 0 and the arranger is removed from outputs 3 and 4. I hope I haven't lost everybody.

#15894 - 08/14/01 07:57 AM Re: WK8 audio routing revisted
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Vic,

That is an interesting question. The answer is that you really are ahead of me in this.

But what it seems is going on is that when you turn on the effects, you are sending part of the "arranger" signal and part of the "vocal" signal to the DSP chip which returns the stereo signal to both outputs.

Therefore, when you turn off the DSP from the vocals, you shut down the mix return from the DSP.

Here are two suggestions:

1) It may not work but it is a worth try. You know there are two Independent DSPs. So if you can select one of them ONLY for arranger and the other ONLY for vocals, this might solve the problem.

2) Do not record at the same time but record instead in tracks! First record the arranger stuff and then record the vocal stuff (not at the same time). I know this is not what you are looking for but consider the following, I usually work with 16 tracks from the keyboard, and I download one track at time to my Studio!!! It takes forever... I know

#15895 - 08/14/01 08:27 AM Re: WK8 audio routing revisted
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
SK880user. Thanks for the reply. That's what I think is going on also. The audio from the arranger section is getting routed through the dsp's. You may be on to something if you can select a dsp for the arranger and a dsp for the mic/line input. Your second suggection is probably the most realistic and that is to record in seperate tracks. I've used that process for years when I used to compose and record completely within the PC using cakewalk. I always do the vocals last and that may well be a better way to do it due to the fact that you can then concentrate on singing instead of playing and singing. Its just nice to have the option to go either way. I've got the manual here at work so I can referrence it. Now where did I put my glasses...

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online