SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158806 - 03/31/06 12:26 AM New Casio WK models
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Saw it on other forum, it may be interesting to you.
http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/highperformance

On paper the differences are very little, USB addition, SD card, 6 more rhythms onboard

No 4 variations yet!! what are they waiting for?
Theodore

PS they mention that "The WK-3800 shows the possibilities on offer with its diverse range of functions and features, such as the synthesizer and mixer function, digital course latch plate and bass reflex loud speaker."

What is the digital course latch plate? Sounds fattening

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 03-31-2006).]

#158807 - 03/31/06 03:08 AM Re: New Casio WK models
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
[...]On paper the differences are very little, USB addition, SD card, 6 more rhythms onboard[...]

What is the digital course latch plate?

Another difference I noticed is 70 more tones (670 versus 600). There are no demos up yet, so we'll have to wait and see if any of the samples have been changed. It would have been nice if USB MIDI had been in addition to DIN connectors, but it seems that it has replaced them, as best I can tell from reading the online info. From the brochure I downloaded, the rhythms have been revised, the SD memory can be up to 1GB, and the expected release date is October of this year.

If I determine what a "digital course latch plate" is (other than a victim of poor translation), I'll let you know.

EDIT: Okay, I think I know what "digital course latch plate" really is. I looked at the Casio online info, but the versions in other languages. The phrase, in the Spanish version, is "barras de desplazamiento digitales", which translates to "digital displacement bars". In French, it's "les tirettes harmoniques numériques", or "digital harmonic pull-knobs". Hmmm, beginning to make sense. Then in German, "digitale Zugriegel". Well, among a few possibilites, "Zug" can be "draw", and "riegel", "bar". So "digital course latch plate" should apparently be "digital drawbar(s)", which of course these Casio models have for the organs.

That's the best I can do, but I'm not a native speaker of anything other than English; if anyone has a more accurate translation, please speak up.

--Barry

[This message has been edited by quietDIN (edited 03-31-2006).]

#158808 - 04/01/06 01:45 AM Re: New Casio WK models
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by quietDIN:
It would have been nice if USB MIDI had been in addition to DIN connectors, but it seems that it has replaced them, as best I can tell from reading the online info.

Ouch
That would make them them useless for triggering other MIDI keyboards or modules. Not a great decision if that is true.

#158809 - 04/01/06 04:27 AM Re: New Casio WK models
quietDIN Offline

Nigel, I can't find anything online that indicates MIDI connectivity other than via USB. However, Casio has disclaimers indicating that the specs are "subject to change w/o notice". Since the announcement is 6 months in advance of the supposed release date, one could hope the lack of mention of DIN MIDI connectors is an error/oversight in preliminary info, similar to "digital course latch plate".

On the other hand, I agree with you that if Casio left the DINs off, it wouldn't be their best decision; some might find the keyboards a lot less useful. Of course, Casio is likely targeting these units primarily to the home amateur market, where USB MIDI is probably a boon due to ease of connection, and DIN MIDI somewhat of a mystery to many.

Maybe Casio will read posts such as ours and either correct the literature or redesign the units.

--Barry

[This message has been edited by quietDIN (edited 04-01-2006).]

#158810 - 04/01/06 06:39 AM Re: New Casio WK models
Bachus Offline

too bad they still only have 32 voic poly...

So its no option to any serious keyboardplayer, they sound not to shabby though.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#158811 - 04/01/06 11:57 AM Re: New Casio WK models
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Midi in and out, according to the specs.

#158812 - 04/01/06 03:42 PM Re: New Casio WK models
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Midi in and out, according to the specs.

Fran, is that via USB, or 5-pin DIN connectors, or both? If it includes DIN, do you have a Website link?

--Barry

#158813 - 04/01/06 03:57 PM Re: New Casio WK models
MrEd Offline

Barry,
Take a look at it, under IDES and Midi sections.

If I'm reading correctly, its both.
WK 3800 Features

EDIT to original post:
I can't find the diagram that I linked down into earlier today. It showed connections. Maybe it was only a USB connection. I think it said that the availability is planned for October.

FYI, after 1st hearing of this news from Trident's post, I emailed a letter to Casio, with info and links to the discussions, the enthusiasm, concerns and hopes that are already brewing. I added that if I sent this to wrong place, please forward to the proper dept. Maybe we will get info and maybe its not too late to get concerns and wishes taken into consideration. Hoping for the best.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 04-01-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online