SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158769 - 04/09/03 12:32 PM I can't believe this actually worked....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm shocked that this actually worked for someone (more of a charity case really) I talked to a guy today who just recently bought a Yamaha Motif-7 (awsome keyboard).. When he bought this thing he only put in $100.00 of his own money. He went to local churches, music shops, ect and got permission to post his own flyers.. He basically advertised himself as a charity case saying he was a struggling musician who needed a new keyboard, and asked if anyone would be kind enough to donate money to help him buy a new Motif.. "Well smack me in the ass and call me Willy', his plan worked.. In two weeks he got enough money to get his keyboard. I didn't even know what to say.. I'm just shocked he got this to work. It takes a very humble and secure person to advertise themselves as a charity case for money to buy a keyboard...

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 04-09-2003).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#158770 - 04/09/03 12:47 PM Re: I can't believe this actually worked....
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Why bother with a place to live and food to eat when you have a Motif-7?
Two weeks!!
I have this belief (I know it's wrong and will be flamed for it) that the money you earn = your intelligence. I know someone who makes all kings of stupid remarks, but she makes 20K+ more money then I do. In my books, she's smarted than I am. 20K smarter.
This guy is smart period. I cud come up with $100.00 for a Motif. Hey, I'd settle for an S90.
Starkeeper

#158771 - 04/09/03 12:52 PM Re: I can't believe this actually worked....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Starkeeper,
Not sure if fully agree with that I know some Attorney's who have the mental capacity of a goldfish, and they're pulling in 6 figures... It would be nice if the money you made was equal to your intelligence. If that was the case I'd never be complaining about not having enough money for the toys I want.. By the books I'm considered very intelligent with a high IQ, and a photographic memory that's probably damn near Kodak quality... I've even been tested on the photographic memory and have scored well above excellent.... I wish your assumption was true.. That way I'd be able to buy all my wonderful toys and still have some money left over to go visit everyone here on the forum...

Squeak

GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#158772 - 04/10/03 01:26 PM Re: I can't believe this actually worked....
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
thats why i will never become a pro.
First of all, i dont play good enough.
Second, I'd never make what i can make now

#158773 - 04/10/03 01:45 PM Re: I can't believe this actually worked....
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Like a said in my post "I will be flammed". My point is whatever "Smart" thing this dummy (goldfish) did made him earn a six figure income. That was a very intelligent thing to do.
The lady that makes $20K more then me, she sucked up to the VIP. That was smart. I refuse to do that. That refusal cost me $20K. That makes her intelligent and me dumb.
Starkeeper

#158774 - 04/11/03 01:01 AM Re: I can't believe this actually worked....
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
We seem to be equating "smart = no morals"

#158775 - 04/11/03 03:57 AM Re: I can't believe this actually worked....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The really smart ones are the ones who are happy in their jobs, and respected by family and friends. Money means nothing.

#158776 - 04/11/03 08:56 AM Re: I can't believe this actually worked....
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
The really smart ones are the ones who are happy in their jobs, and respected by family and friends. Money means nothing.

You're right UD, because family and health always come first for me. I have never quite understood the mentality of "keeping up with the 'Joneses'," and I have steadfastly refused to try.

Having enough money to live comfortably is definitely important to me though. It allows me to take care of my family so that they don't have to want for anything.

"Enough" in my way of thinking is probably a bit modest by some standards though. I'm basically grateful and happy for the roof over the head ( with heat for the cold winters, the refrigerator full of food, and the old wrecks that get me where I need to go. I look at that as being rich, actually. For me, musical instruments are and have always been so much a part of my life, that they don't feel like luxuries to me, but I would part with them in a minute if it meant buying food for my family. I've been there before, and remember when I couldn't afford a decent instrument, so I played on whatever my modest means allowed me to have at the time. It's taken many years of hard work, with a bit of good fortune to be able acquire the instruments I have now. ( Good fortune in the sense that for quite a bit of time neither I or my immediate family had had any catostrophic events occur, such as major illness, natural disasters, etc ) .

My health has declined a bit recently, so I try to appreciate each day and make the most of it. I have a cervical spinal injury that I will never completely recover from, but... I stay as active as possible. My one fear is that I may lose sensation in my hands to the point where I can no longer play the keys very well if at all. At this point though, I can still do mostly everything that I want, but I have to be a little more careful in how I do it. I try to look at it as a glass half full kinda thing. Before any of this happened, I focused harder than I should have on work work work.. even though it was never really about the money. It was more a "pride" thing..( perhaps a bit foolish at that ). What I have in front of me now has taught me to stop and smell the roses, spend more time with family, and play more music, so I look at it as something that has taught me what is important.
AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-11-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online