SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158728 - 01/22/02 04:08 PM Ground Zero ..... make the trip
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My family and I went to Ground Zero this weekend to pay our respects to those lost, and offer comfort to those left behind. It's so eerie looking up at the sky where the towers used to be and see a gaping hole. NYPD is handling crowd control by issuing free tickets to a ramp over the site that allows 30 min to each viewer. It's so overpowering to see the smoke still rising after almost 5 months of 24/7 efforts. There is a Jean shop on Broadway at Fulton (just a block from the site) that has preserved a small corner of the store with a few racks of clothing, covered in the dust from the rubble, and sealed it into a Plexiglas monument to remind us of the devastation that forever changed the world. Looking at the dust, and wondering about the contents is a very humbling experience.

We went on a Sunday, and it was the day after a snowfall, so the streets were not as crowded as most, but still - the city has a quiet strength that you can see in the faces of the people. The pulse is slower, but you can still feel the life. The monuments of flowers & pictures, the flags and posters in storefront windows - they all serve to make us think, and make us feel. It was a trip I'd recommend to EVERYone, no matter how far away you live from NY.

We stood in line with people from every corner of the world, all with a similar purpose .... to get some closure, and to weep a cathartic tear for those affected by the attacks. ( that would be ALL of us )
It was so heartwarming to see the crowds rush up to rescue workers and give their support. There were a group of Asian kids that had their picture taken with a firefighter's hat on while the fireman smiled through his ash-coverd, weary, yet kind face. Opposite corners of the world - hugging like brothers. It was wonderful to witness. I could hear so many different languages around me, and yet, the feeling of community was so strong that it was difficult to understand HOW this could happen. The rallying of people from around the world is so encouraging - you need to see it, and feel it.

New York City is a part of every American, and a friend to every citizen in the world - and the city really needs us now. It needs us to visit, to shop, to vacation and to just BE there. The quiet in the streets is deafening. I really urge all of you to make the journey, if you can, to be with your "Universal" family at this very great time of need. There is so much to do and see in that great city, and it breaks my heart to see Lady Liberty with tears in her eyes, so sad and alone in the harbor.

I read one poster that had a "missing" picture on it from Sept 11th, and then written in bold marker across the top was the words: "Found - DEC 21st!!" I burst into tears at the thought that someone could be missing that long, and then after all hope had gone - miraculously reappear. That one, tiny glimpse of hope gave me a renewed strength that I hadn't planned on. Make the trip, people. Visit your "family". I'm so glad I did.

#158729 - 01/22/02 07:15 PM Re: Ground Zero ..... make the trip
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I remember seeing the 2nd tower getting hit on TV only to watch the towers fall . Unreal .....God Bless the USA Thank you
dano

#158730 - 01/22/02 09:02 PM Re: Ground Zero ..... make the trip
tgalf Offline

Loc: NYC, NY USA
Uncle Dave,
As a NYC resident (work and live) I appreciate your comments. Its corny to talk about it sometimes, to hear all news casters speak about- what were you doing at the time...... but it hits pretty hard when you pride yourself as an american. Yes it hit NYC, but it was my pride and sincere love of this country that is what felt like a stake being driven into my heart.
Of sense of shock, looking downtown to see the towers smoking, no I could not grasp it situation, only that the day ended right there to go home to my family, there was a lot of people in the street crying lots of tears. It got worse when crossing the Queensboro bridge to get home (we had to walk- no busses, taxi's, cell phones or subways). For me it was this time, looking to see the smoke come from the ground (where I had last seen it the towers were still up). I said to myself, how can the smoke be down there and just at that time I saw a friend run to his pal waving his arms and say "there both down, there both down" and as I took another look at that low line of smoke it hit me in a way that I finally broke myself. I just assumed ALL were dead- no one could survive, including the few that are my client and long time friends. All Dead was the only thing that registered. It took me 2-1/2 hrs to walk home to learn that so many were evacuated and 2 weeks to learn that my friends were okay.
My father being and engineer/archtitect I grew fond of the towers that I have visited about once a month for the past 2 years (network maintenance contract for a client). My father,who taught us to respect the Service men, police and firemen and the medical community above all others (mainly rock/sports stars). I took and I have shed many many thoughts for these people. What a sense of pride in our silent hero's. This is why my father taught me so... going up the "stairway to doom" with great honor and intent.
I cant visit the site myself, I cant watch the replays on TV, I still cannot imagine the devastation. I appreciate your looking and telling us about your trip. Perhaps I will make an effort.
Our little business has suffered severely. WIth new-born twin girls we were about to buy a house when teh phones stopped ringing. We are at a critical stage of survival, and we may have to face what so many are facing today, looking for work in a crowded market.
But we count our blessings. Each smile I get to see on my twins faces is enough to handle the rest. It really is that sad for those who are passed and missing and I wish I can change what we all know we cannot.
Well, I dont get to talk much about it, not even much time with worry and all, the phones are slowly coming to life and I vow not to let a possible return to business replace the grace of those affected, there loss has taught us a lesson and we owe them to carry on in a new with a little more depth than before.
I am glad I can let out some hidden thoughts becuase soon as I hit the submit but its out and I feel a little better to let some of the passion out.
Here goes

#158731 - 01/22/02 10:11 PM Re: Ground Zero ..... make the trip
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tgalf,
Thanx for the "insider's" viewpoint. I have several cousins that survived that awful day, and even one brand new cousin who was born the night of Sept 11th. That day will always hold a bitter-sweet taste for me.
Only you will know when you are ready to go to the site, but for those of us who were not there - I felt it was almost a duty to visit and reflect at the gravesite of so many fallen heros and innocent victims.
God Bless you, and heal your wounded memories of the wonderful, crazy city that you call "home". We all .... LOVE New York.

#158732 - 01/23/02 05:38 AM Re: Ground Zero ..... make the trip
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
UD and Tgalf,
I currently fly A-10's for the Ct Air National Guard. I remember quite vividly the events of Sept 11th. Our unit was stationed at Al Jaber Air Base,Kuwait the day it happened. I was in the command post just getting ready to step to the jet in support of the no fly zone mission over Iraq. All the men and women stood in complete disbelief as we watched real time on CNN/Fox news. There wasn't a dry eye in the room. Here we were, about to fly a mission aginst Sadam and the terrorists in Iraq, we had all that firepower hung beneath the jets, we had computers, satellites, the latest and greates technology known to man, yet there was nothing we could do to defend our friends and families back home. It was the most hopeless, empty feeling imaginable to those of us who pride ourselves in our ability to protect and defend our nation. It was amazing that we could complete the mission at all that day. All we could think of was NY city and all those people and their families. We returned home about a month later to a whole new world. I'll never forget our first training mission afterwards which took us to the Warren Grove Gunnery Range, just North of Atlantic City. The first taste of reality was when we had to coordinate and talk with the Air Cap over NYC, and then, of course, flying by the city and seeing ground zero from the air for the first time. It was almost sureal. like a dream. It was a very emotional experience for me, and continues to be, as we fly by the city 1-2 times each week. It will never be "old hat", just like Pearl Harbor could never be to my grandfathers generation. I have yet to experience it on the ground, but plan to take my children soon so they may understand just what freedom is all about. genX and even my baby boomer generation, tend to view the revolutionary war, civil war, world wars, korea, vietnam and desert storm like a history lesson that is nice to know, but not applicable to todays world. ground zero is a humbling and tragic reminder to us all, that freedom is not cheap, and we have it because of brave men and women, not all in the military either, who paid the supreme price to insure you and I could have all the excesses we enjoy, and abuse today. You see, all of us, regardless of who we are and what we believe, have this unique and blessed life here in the USA becuase others have secured that right for them. Not because we deserve it. Without the thousands of lives that have been lost, they would be sitting in a third world style country eating camel dung and praying for the end of a miserable existance. The reality is, some people have to roll up their sleeves and shed blood in pursuit of freedom. That is as true TODAY as it was 100 years ago, and it will always be that way. It's not fun, and those who do it are as scared as anyone else, but if we don't continue to fight for our rights and freedom, they will be lost. This is not a spectators sport. Our lives and our children's will never be the same, we can not change that now. But we can instill in our children the will to survive and protect what we treasure, family, friends and neighbors, community service, life, the right to worship the 1 true God, and most important, accept the responsibility to get involved and be active in determining the outcome of the future for them and their children and for the generations 200 years from now (God willing). This is what ground zero means to me. It is the ultimate reality check, it lets us know that we will always be engaged and active an our efforts to REMAIN free. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone directly effected by this tragic event. Thanks for the thread Brian.

[This message has been edited by B2 (edited 01-23-2002).]

#158733 - 01/23/02 06:52 AM Re: Ground Zero ..... make the trip
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
B2 (Brian): Our hearts go out to the many brave men and womem like you who put your lives on the line every day for us. THANK YOU for your courage and dedication to defending our freedom. - Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online