SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#158572 - 01/24/07 11:09 AM OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Guys anyone ever have their browser just close without warning, and not get any dialog box explaing some type of error? I had multiple tabs open, and my browser just closed (slowly) on it's own without any warning of any type. I have Verizon DSL, and contacted them to check for any suspicious activity on my Verizon account, but customer service today is almost non existent.

Not sure if some know this but customer service with Verizon will not put you to a tech. They have software that sends an auto-reply based on "key words" that you type in your text. I just had two replies and nothing pertains to the problem I had.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#158573 - 01/24/07 11:30 AM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I think it has happened to me and I attributed it to a hard drive too full. (Weird things start happening.) You are supposed to never get a hard drive as full as mine are. They say never load one beyond 75% to 80% full. They, of course, being eckspurts.

I'd whack out some files and it would work right.

------------------
Bill
smallGig.com
:::
As a songwriter, I need feedback on songs posted! Thanks!

#158574 - 01/24/07 11:39 AM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
squeak_D Offline

HD is ruled out. It's no where near being full. I've just never had my browser close that way. If I'm in IE with multiple tabs open and the browser needs to close I at least get a warning saying "IE encountered a problem and needs to close" Or if I have multiple tabs open and by mistake hit the close icon I'll get a message saying I have multiple tabs open and do I wish to close them all. I got nothing..., in my years with dial up and DSL I've never had IE do that.

There's just so much crap going around with hackers and even the freakin gov't jacking our accounts. I can't help but wonder if my system was just jacked and my browser closed because someone got what they needed.

If anyone else has Verizon(Yahoo)... Good luck if you ever have to contact customer service. They suck and suck big time. I have sent 3 replies already and EVERY response was an auto generated reply that scans the text for key terms and then sends a response with link on their site. I replied to them numerous times saying the info they provided was of no assistance. Finally another auto generated response saying "Thanks for your request please contact their Help Resource pages or call the Verizon 800 number which is the general line). Thing is I checked their online resource help, and that's why I emailed them... I tell ya these bastard companies today just want your money. They'll make sure you pay them on time every month, but where are they when you actually need help?

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-24-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#158575 - 01/24/07 12:12 PM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
As my new boss says: "Use Unix forget Bugdows"

Or, the very least, don't use the $hitty Internet Explorer. Since I started browsing with Mozilla Firefox I've never had internet related problems (unless routers get too busy).

Another problem might be - viruses or spyware. No reliable cure against them.

Format C: helps in most cases (I've done it twice since I got my computer - it worked). This would help only if you had considered dividing your hard drive in two or three and preserve your important data on d:

Mine is divided c: 15GB/ d: 65GB - never had problems formatting c: and reinstalling windows as disk d: is the data disk

George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 01-24-2007).]

#158576 - 01/24/07 12:42 PM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I have used EARTHLINK ever since they invented it. On the few occasions I have had a problem, I just open a window in their chat room and their tech person walks me through the solution while I am in the chat room. If it is beyond that person it is escalated to the next level.
Try it you might like it.
Bebop

#158577 - 01/24/07 12:47 PM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Or you might just get a Mac..... (you can run Windows, Unix, or just about anything on them if you HAVE to).

No spyware, no pop-ups, no trojans, no problems.....

#158578 - 01/25/07 04:41 AM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
squeak_D Offline

A Mac is what I've been wanting to get for years. I have "always" favored a Mac over PC. The wife hates Macs and won't agree to get one. I'm thinking of selling my old PC in my playroom to a friend and using that money to get myself a Mac and she can keep this PC for herself.

#158579 - 01/25/07 06:16 AM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak,

Download Mozilla Firefox and you'll never look back at IE--there's a world of difference.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#158580 - 01/25/07 10:38 AM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
check out this url to a computer newsletter I subscribe to. the issue i just got in email could very well solve the problem you have described above. http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/070125
Bebop

#158581 - 01/25/07 10:51 AM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Squeak,

Download Mozilla Firefox and you'll never look back at IE--there's a world of difference.

.... and as another very good alternative to IE: www.opera.com

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#158582 - 01/25/07 11:49 AM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
mdolmon Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio,US
Sometimes a web page will kick out if you don;t have the newest version of Flash on your PC. I just witnessed this yesterday at work, one person attempting to view a page at a automotive dealer kept getting kicked out, I installed Flash because it was a Flashed based site and it was ok. I know a web developer who verified this today and he says that you can have a version of Flash on your pc but if it's required to be the newest sometimes the browser will quit.

#158583 - 01/25/07 12:39 PM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I don't know if this is related, but after I updated Internet Explorer, a couple of operations within some programs ceased to function. I was made aware the conection between the Explorer update and operations failure on an HP forum which also gave a temp work-around for the HP program that was effected.
Ciao,
Jerry

#158584 - 01/25/07 03:06 PM Re: OT: Browser Problems. Have question...
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Bozeman, MT, USA
I've got to go with Gary and others, Firefox is great. I just love the tab browsing and the extras that you can add on to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online