SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15850 - 02/18/03 04:34 PM Possible problem, please help with Sk880 recording problem
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I am using SK880 with Cubase SX.

I have created a song using SK and I have ported it to Cubase. I have saved it in Cubase after doing considerable amount of work. I have selected from Cubase DRUM TRACK, DK_ORCH transmitting on channel 9.

Corresponding to this song, I have created a song on SK that has no events. However, it has a song performance saved that will make make all the tracks of the song unmuted. So that when the song from Cubase is playing, SK will play all the tracks instead of me going to each track and unmuting it, trust me too much much work for 16 tracks.

So whatever instrument I select from CUBASE, it is also selected automatically and mind you... CORRECTLY on SK. SK is the slave and Cubase is the master.

So far so good.

I decided to change DK_ORCH not from the SONG mode but from REAL mode. Why is that? because I wanted to select the DK_ORCH that was used by one of the styles. One of the styles actually modifies the precussion kit and I need that. So I put on the style to get that modified DK_ORCH. Then, I went to "SOUND" and then saved that SOUND to FILE to location 128-2-1 which is the default location anyway. In otherwords, I overwritten the default location with the modified sound.

SO Far So GOOD.

Then I went to back to the song but when you hit STOP twice or when you play the song from CUBASE, it reverts back to different precussion than the one I want it to play. Let me be exact here. It still says on CUBASE 128-2-1 and it still says on SX track 128-2-1 DK_ORCH with a "DOT" for modification, but different precussion is playing.

So I understood that this modified sound needs to be SAVED in the performance of the SONG. Fine... let us start from scratch.

Went back to REAL Mode, the modified sound is saved and playing correctly. Moved back to SONG MODE. Before doing anything, I saved the PERFORMANCE so that the performance will save in it the modified sound. That played fine.

Then I changed to different song using the SAME TRACK the SAME sound 128-2-1, and guess what... it reverted back to playing the same unwanted modified precussion.

What is going on?

So I created different song performance, it did not work.

I erased the song from SK and I recreate it, it did not work...

Is that a bug or something?

#15851 - 02/18/03 04:52 PM Re: Possible problem, please help with Sk880 recording problem
sk880user Offline

More detailed info:

DK-ORCH (128-2-1) was changed in that it adds ROLLSNARE (103-9-1) at C#6. Very nice.

So I went back to real mode, and looked at the "sound" of DK-ORCH and verified that ROLLSNARE is selected at C#6. Then I noted all the paramters of DK-ORCH at C#6. Then I looked at ROLLSNARE through sound and noted all its parameters.

I went to SONG MODE and before pressing stop or playing anything, I noted that DK-ORCH plays correctly at C#6 and that all the parameters are identical.

Then I played Cubase and I noticed the change in sound and at the same time when playing from SK keyboard, it is playing that WRONG strange modified sound. I looked at the sound parameters of DK-ORCH at C#6 and ROLLSNARE at 103-9, they are still identical!!!!!!!!!

So if all internal parameters are identical, why SK decided to play the song differently?

I appreciate any help.

#15852 - 02/18/03 10:01 PM Re: Possible problem, please help with Sk880 recording problem
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
You seem to be doing an awful lot of work if all you want to do is incorporate RollSnare into your kit. The RollSnare sound is already present in every kit on C#1 (one octave BELOW the regular snares). Using a drum track in Cubase, you can simply select any unused drum in the list, and change it's "O-Note" setting to C#1, (and then you can rename it to "RollSnare" if you want).

If you need further help, please let me know. I could explain how to do it with the performance edit method as you requested but this way is much more foolproof (it works with the standard drumkit instead of needing to load a special perf).

Chris

#15853 - 02/19/03 02:24 AM Re: Possible problem, please help with Sk880 recording problem
Dazza Offline

Loc: Great Britain
- CHRIS -

Nice to see your reply, get in touch via my email if you get chance.

Darren Sturgess
United kingdom

#15854 - 02/19/03 10:14 AM Re: Possible problem, please help with Sk880 recording problem
sk880user Offline

Chris, thanks for the reply.

The next day I opened both songs and they worked perfectly with no problems. So either SK was confused or Cubase was confused. There are other details as well but the point they are working now and I do not want to bore everybody with additional information.

I know it is awful lot of work but the flexibility and the programmability of SK keyboard is vital to make your work happen.

Thanks again.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online