SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#158524 - 06/25/06 12:40 PM Re: My Tyros 2 Thoughts after 2 months............
Dnj Offline

All I'm saying is one should care mucho about his playing & sound in a continuous effort to make it better as you go along....there's always room for improvement on playing techniques/singing,& taking some quality time to get involved with your instrument & focus on the sound you produce, strive to be the best your can be musically because in the end you'll either reap the rewards or get bit in the Butt !
Would you like to go under the knife with a LAZY Surgeon? Make great music, take the time to do it right, ask questions, ask opinions, listen with your ears & mind open, take constructive criticism and toss it around in your mind, go see people play, make friends & share thoughts with other musicians on the Internet, Skype, etc..,
get into it baby!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-25-2006).]

#158525 - 06/25/06 05:13 PM Re: My Tyros 2 Thoughts after 2 months............
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Right out of the box the Tyros or Tyros2 sound good to my ears. And if you are a masterful piano player like Dennis (TwoNuts) is then you can most likely make any keyboard basically 'sing'. However the 'art' of "tweaking" or more accurately stated "embellishing" is part of the equation also in my opinion.

What I am trying to do is make the sound coming out of the keyboard as realistic sounding as possible. In other words, a B3 emulation that sounds like a real Hammond B3 etc. To do that it is necessary sometimes to edit the factory sound and/or layer sounds together to hopefully make a closer representation of the real thing. Although nothing sounds exactly like the real deal (at least by todays keyboard standards anyway) , making the sound as close as possible by 'tweaking' the presets can further enhance the players overall sound presentation and I would think the audiences satisfaction as well.

When I listen to any keyboard instrument's sound I want it to sound like the real deal. Otherwise if it's not it will diminish its effect on those who hear it in my opinion. We're talking thin sounds or otherwise sounds with a poor representation of a real instruments sound.

Tweaking sounds to sound as realistically as possible further enhances the presentation of an OMB, or even if you are in a Band and don't use the accompaniment features of an Arranger.

And then there are other enhancements as well like the Vocal Harmony board on an Arranger or Style accompaniment, etc.

As a teaser, here are two Styles that I tweaked to sound 'better' on the keyboard on which it is played; in this case the Tyros.

These are Tyros2 Styles that have been 'tweaked' to sound acceptable on the Tyros. As you know the Tyros2 Styles have incorporated the SA Voices and also many Sweet!, Live!, and Cool! voices that aren't found on the Tyros.

The first part of the demo is the untouched Tyros2 Style where you will get an idea of how generic it sounds played on a Tyros. There are even sounds 'missing' because the Tyros2 styles are not fully compatible when played on the Tyros because of the SAV's, etc.

The second part is the same, albeit "embellished" Tyros2 Style, played on the Tyros and where I tried to make them compatible and as lifelike as possible.

Here are the two short demos:

Tyros2 FranklySoul Style

Tyros2 Flamingo Style

PS: This is an example of tweaking styles from different keyboards but the same idea applies to the sounds on any keyboard itself.

>> I hope Yammie doesn't mind me demonstrating their Tyros2 styles on a Tyros. >> It is just for comparison purposes you understand; and to demonstrate how tweaking sounds or styles can be effective in improving the overall sound of a keyboard.

The Tyros2 Styles played on a Tyros2 is the ultimate way to hear the sound the way it was intended to be heard of course.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 06-25-2006).]

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 07-10-2006).]

#158526 - 06/25/06 06:34 PM Re: My Tyros 2 Thoughts after 2 months............
Dnj Offline

Mike .........That was a great comparison & demonstrates the power of "TWEAKING" & taking the time to make the "style yours" it's worth the time & effort for sure.

#158527 - 06/25/06 07:05 PM Re: My Tyros 2 Thoughts after 2 months............
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
I concur that enhancements can be made to the out of the box setting on any keyboard. Examples to be sure would be FX and EQ and typicaly whatever sounds better to the ear of the listener. I would venture to say however that the minor embellishments do not make the keyboard. I'm sure that manufacturers designed the afore mentioned parameters with the ability to be changed to do exactly what everyone is doing, adjusting the keyboard to their own personal preferences. I would never seek to castigate anyone for adjusting the keyboard for a better sound output. I just don't pretend for a moment that it is the end all of what makes or breaks a keyboards ability to be good or not. I myself make modifications to various instruments that I use to get a paticular type of sound that I am looking for. Sufice to say "I Believe" that enhancements can and do make things better.

Regards,

Dennis

[This message has been edited by TwoNuts (edited 06-25-2006).]

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#158528 - 06/26/06 12:20 AM Re: My Tyros 2 Thoughts after 2 months............
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Mike
Interesting demo, and on the soul recording the second is definitely the best, except for the Organ Tremolo which is a touch too fast.
The Flamingo style I thought sounded better in the first instance, the second sounding unnatural.
Here is a link to the B4 page, (A B3 emulation) which if you listen to the demos, will allow you to tweak your Tyros to give a more authentic sound. (The B4 is as close as it gets) http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=b4ii_us
Thanks for the demo, please don’t take the above as criticism, but just another point of view from different ears.

Bill

#158529 - 06/26/06 02:47 AM Re: My Tyros 2 Thoughts after 2 months............
trtjazz Offline

Mike
I thought both your tweaked versions sounded better.

About all this tweaking to make it "sound" all should keep in mind that are back to the elusive what one hears to what I hear and which sounds best.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.artisans-world.com/

#158530 - 07/10/06 06:26 AM Re: My Tyros 2 Thoughts after 2 months............
Dnj Offline

I saw this T2 demo on the pkowner forum...

"This is an excellent video although in German language: http://www.keyboard-seminare.de/T2/T2.html
Could it possibly be translated into English in the near future?"

#158531 - 07/10/06 09:28 AM Re: My Tyros 2 Thoughts after 2 months............
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:

Here are the two short demos:

Tyros2 6-8 Soul Style

Tyros2 Flamingo Style

Excellent post. That's amazing how you improved those.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#158532 - 07/10/06 10:48 AM Re: My Tyros 2 Thoughts after 2 months............
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks Bill.

PS: I had one of the demo Styles listed as the Tyros2 "6-8 Soul" Style. It is actually the T2 "FranklySoul" Style that I used for the demonstration. Sorry for the error everyone.

>> I have corrected the error to reflect the change in the post that contains the T2 Style demo links.

Best regards,
Mike

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online