SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158471 - 10/17/06 06:01 PM OT: PA system mystery
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
I'll admit, I'm a novice at this stuff, but learning as I go along. This is for a church. Basically we're trying to put a powered speaker in the ushers room so they can hear the service. (they just recently put installed glass in the window) We've got everything connected and it works, but there's a very loud buzz coming thru the powered speaker and the main system up front. First I thought it was the cable, so we tried using a shorter cable, same results. I thought maybe it was the powered speaker so we tried a different one. Same results. The buzz is only heard when the speaker is plugged into the wall outlet. It seems like to me that this is a power related issue because I tried using a non-powered monitor and there was no buzz, but obviously, you're not getting a strong audio signal.

I'd appreciate any assistance.

#158472 - 10/17/06 10:14 PM Re: OT: PA system mystery
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
If the buzz is still there when the powered speaker volume is at zero then its a poor active amplifier design or an earth fault.

#158473 - 10/18/06 05:20 AM Re: OT: PA system mystery
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Much of this will depend upon how the grounding connections are made on each of the systems. This problem can often be solved by merely using an inexpensive ground defeater plug, a 3 prong to 2 prong addapter plug that is available in any hardware store for under $2. Just plug the ground defeater into the wall outlet, then plug your powered speaker into the addapter. This may solve your problem with very little expense.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#158474 - 10/18/06 06:03 AM Re: OT: PA system mystery
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Or if that doesn't work,a ground loop isolator probably will. Radio Shack has them for $20 or so.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online