SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#158267 - 08/21/07 09:39 PM OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi All,
bit of a hypathetical.
What famous recording artist or musician in your own lifetime would you luv to meet , and have you.
Unbelievably I did get to meet my idol.
Maybe it's only a chicks fantasy, what about the guys. ??

Taike's been doing an amazing job at arranger world forum, on musicians biographies, which sparked the above question.. http://tinyurl.com/2kjay2

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#158268 - 08/21/07 09:49 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dnj Offline

Don Mason

#158269 - 08/21/07 10:03 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Donny,
must admit Don's someone i'd luv to meet too, bit far for me to go though.

haa haa

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Don Mason

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#158270 - 08/21/07 10:07 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I met my favorite female singer. My ex fiance surprised me with tickets on my 21'st B-day years back. She then surprised me again halfway through her closing song and pulled out back stage passes. Who was this "Diva"? Why the queen of soul herself Ms. Aretha Franklin! I didn't stop talking b'out that for six months!
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#158271 - 08/21/07 10:14 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
rikkisbears Offline

Whoops,
just realized I forgot to mention mine.

Richard Clayderman, I was a big fan for many many years, ended up meeting him in an elevator after his cabaret show at the Sydney Hilton about 8 years ago.

As luck would have it, I had hubby & mum in law tagging along.
Just as well, I was too dumfounded to say boo, luckily hubby said hello & introduced us all. Really nice & very humble considering his fame.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#158272 - 08/21/07 11:01 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Fun topic, Rikki. And thanks for your kind words. You're doing a great job yourself.

Well, I would've loved meeting Klaus Wunderlich but he's passed away. I did get to meet Franz Lambert and had a short talk with him. Unbelievable large hands he has!

As for rock artists...Ringo Star would be my first choice and Paul my second. Otherwise it would've been Ringo, George, John and Paul (in that order). Why Ringo? Just love his sense of humor and he's so unassuming.

Taike

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 08-22-2007).]

#158273 - 08/21/07 11:58 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Back in the days I had the opportunity to meet the Who after a concert here in Rome; they were waiting to be picked up by someone and -strange as it may seem- nobody was there but me and one of my friends. So I exchanged a few words with Pete Townsend and he explained me that the guitar (a Rickenbacker) he had just crashed in two pieces at the end of the show was "fixed"... This word left me perplexed (I was a teenager at the time, barely familiar with english), till I went home and searched in my english dictionary.
However, the Who weren't my favorite group and I wasn't particularly thrilled either, but they were the only artists I was able to meet in person.

#158274 - 08/22/07 04:14 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Well, I've been lucky. I've have met quite a few of my idols even if only briefly. This includes Miles who was somewhat anti-social and not quite ummm "sober" at the time. Two that I missed and wished i'd met were John Coltrane and Bill Evans. Giants.

........oh yeah, and Oscar Peterson, Nina Simone, Joe Cocker, Willie Nelson, Thelonius Monk, Barbara Dennerlien, James Brown, Van Cliburn, Jimi Hendrix, "Pearl", Archie Shepp, Billy Holiday, BB King, Yolanda Adams, Charlie Mingus, Capt. Russ.

#158275 - 08/22/07 04:27 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I was lucky enough to do a clinic on the PSR-9000 Pro for Oscar Peterson, who is my favorite piano player.

What a terrific guy...very down to earth.

Also met Diana Krall while on a Yamaha seminar in Scarborough, many years ago...she was playing in the piano bar at the hotel we were staying in...this was before she really became famous, although it was obvious at the time she was pretty special.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#158276 - 08/22/07 06:10 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I got to meet Felix Cavalieri (Rascals) a few years back at a local venue. He seemed so down to earth and I wish we had time to really talk, but it was after the show and I just made small talk and got my CD autographed. He even conversed with my wife and she wasn't even drooling all over herself, as I must have been.

The funny thing is - I'm not the only keyboardist in southeast Michigan (or even the world) who claims Felix as an idol and an influence on their playing. Where did that thought come from ?

Thanks, Rikki for the topic.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 08-22-2007).]

#158277 - 08/22/07 06:15 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
deleted: Sorry this person I posted wasn't a musician. My bad!

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-22-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#158278 - 08/22/07 06:28 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Billy Joel

maybe ill meet him someday

#158279 - 08/22/07 06:36 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
My favorite singer Tony Bennett came to Lincoln Rd Mall on Miami Beach in 1998 to sign copies of his autobiography, "The Good Life". The owner of the bookstore hired me to play sax/sing w/Brian Murphy on keys. We were outside to the right of the entry door and TB was right next to us at a table on the left side of the door. We tried to get him to sing with us but he was just there to sign books. He kept giving us the thumbs up sign all night and he was obviously very into our groove. At th end of the night he called me into the back of the store to tell me how much he dug us...and handed me a copy of his book. inside the front cover he wrote: "Mo, you are wonderful, right in the pocket". A week later I got a call to sub for Bill Easley who was Jimmy Smith's sax player at the time, to do the Clearwater Jazz Festival with Jimmy, Phil Upchurch, and Frank (sorry, forgot his name) on drums. I was scheduled to be at the Fest w/Johnny Conga's Latin Jazz Allstars, so I got to be featured twice! I guess it's all been downhill since september 1998--what a month! In 1992 TB came back to Miami Beach to play th Gleason Theater, and we went to see him for his 75th b-day concert. he was just unbelievable. goosebump time- he sang one tune a cappella and his voice was so powerful it blew everyone away. to see him again recently on TV for his 80th birthday special was a blessing. and what is even more fiting is that he remains one of the nicest people that ever lived..everyone loves him.

------------------
Miami Mo

#158280 - 08/22/07 07:27 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
My favorite singer Tony Bennett came to Lincoln Rd Mall on Miami Beach in 1998 to sign copies of his autobiography, "The Good Life". The owner of the bookstore hired me
to play sax/sing w/Brian Murphy on keys. We were
outside to the right of the entry door and TB
was right next to us at a table on the left side of the door. We tried to
get him to sing with us but he was just there
to sign books. He kept giving us the thumbs up
sign all night and he was obviously very into
our groove. At th end of the night he called
me into the back of the store to tell me how much he dug us...and handed me a copy of his
book. inside the front cover he wrote: "Mo,
you are wonderful, right in the pocket". A week later I got a call to sub for Bill Easley who was Jimmy Smith's sax player at the time, to do the Clearwater Jazz Festival
with Jimmy, Phil Upchurch, and Frank (sorry, forgot his name) on drums. I was scheduled
to be at the Fest w/Johnny Conga's Latin Jazz
Allstars, so I got to be featured twice! I guess it's all been downhill since september 1998--what a month! In 1992 TB came back to
Miami Beach to play th Gleason Theater, and
we went to see him for his 75th b-day concert. he was just unbelievable. goosebump time- he sang one tune a cappella and his voice was so powerful it blew everyone away. to see him
again recently on TV for his 80th birthday
special was a blessing. and what is even more
fiting is that he remains one of the nicest people that ever lived..everyone loves him.

Shouldn't post twice on this type of thread, but......couldn't agree more, Mo. Although not my favorite blues singer (BB King), jazz singer (Joe Williams), stylist (Shirley Horn), rock singer (Joe Cocker), soul singer (Ray Charles,Janis Joplin,James Brown.....now that they're all together, I hope Janis and one of the others has an offspring and sends him down to earth), pop singer (can't really think of anyone I like), he IS my favorite all-around singer and if I had to listen to just one singer for the rest of my life, it would probably be Tony Bennett.

chas

#158281 - 08/22/07 07:32 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dnj Offline

Being I already have met
Uncle Dave & Fran Carango...

my 1st choice would have to be the Chairman of the Board.... followed by

Frank Sinatra
Sammy Davis Jr.
Itzhak Perlman
Louis Armstrong
Al Hirt
Liberace
Wayne Newton
AC/DC

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-22-2007).]

#158282 - 08/22/07 09:05 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Though I seen her in concert...I would love to sit down at a table with Brenda Lee..

She is one of my favorite entertainers..

I just think she would be a down to earth gal..

BTW: Donny , you better hurry... your list is getting shorter everyday..

#158283 - 08/22/07 09:14 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dnj Offline

Fran ...I can meet them anytime I want....I just turn on my Zune put in my headphones and close my eyes baby!!!

#158284 - 08/22/07 09:20 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
ELTON

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#158285 - 08/22/07 09:28 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dnj Offline

#158286 - 08/22/07 09:45 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Elton Dean Jazz Sax man?

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-9-2006-88526.asp

Sorry Donny,

ELTON JOHN

Elton Dean was an awesome sax man. However, my dream would be to sit down and play some piano with Sir Elton John.

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#158287 - 08/22/07 10:32 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Though I seen her in concert...I would love to sit down at a table with Brenda Lee..

Fran, I spent a couple hours with Brenda Lee a few years ago. For some reason she was in the motel where I was working, alone. Very nice person, but seemed really lonely.
DNJ, surely you can set your sights a little higher than ME! But thanks. Look forward to meeting you in January on your trip to the South.
I've met about everybody I want to, but I regret never seeing Elvis live.
Don

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 08-22-2007).]

#158288 - 08/22/07 10:57 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I was lucky enough to do a clinic on the PSR-9000 Pro for Oscar Peterson, who is my favorite piano player.

What a terrific guy...very down to earth.

Also met Diana Krall while on a Yamaha seminar in Scarborough, many years ago...she was playing in the piano bar at the hotel we were staying in...this was before she really became famous, although it was obvious at the time she was pretty special.

Ian

Ian lucky you!! Oscar has been my idol going back to 1968 when I first heard him play. I would love to meet him. I did however meet on a regular basis the late James Williams ( jazz pianist) He regularly played in the Boston area. Probably the most memorable meeting was in NY's Village. He was playing at a placed called the Knickerbocker. My wife and I are were 2 of the 6 people in the joint , late one evening. When James took a break we had a nice long conversation discussing whether becoming a great pianist was hard work or talent. James said it was 99% hard work.

I also met Dianne Reeves when she was working with James at the old Starlight Roof room atop the old Howard Johnsons in Boston. Now that was some night, that girl can sing.

I've also met and talked with one of the lesser known jazz pianists Dave McKenna who was a regular at the Copley Plaza Hotel in Boston. The last time I saw him there, our group was one of 20 people in the lounge where he was playing. That night he seemed more interested in listening to the Red Sox game on his walkman.

And last but not least while in college I tended bar in a restaurant near a place called the Warwick Musical Theater. Liberace played there every summer and came to the restaurant late in the evening after every performance. He was very friendly with the owner, so friendly that when she asked him to redocorate her home he spent $50,000 of his own money to hire contractors and decorators to complete the project. I might add he had them complete it in 5 days. On day 6 he was leaving for another city and wanted to see the finished product.

#158289 - 08/22/07 11:04 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
John Lennon!

Tom

#158290 - 08/22/07 11:08 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas...how FUNNY! Thanks, I think!

I met many jazz giants in California, but I was too young and green to even know what I was seeing and hearing. Ray Brown had just been divorced from Ella and he used to take me to places like Schelly's ManHole (sp)?. I saw Coltrane, Monk, Chet Baker, Anita O'Day, Charlie Parker, Bill Evans and many more. I played backing tracks for Oscar Brown Jr, B.J. Thomas, Linda Rohnstat, Jerry Lee and many more. I had coffee several times with one of the original Fifth Dimension ladies (and her young child) at a hotel I worked. Steve Warner and (uck) Toby Kieth are regulars at the Merrick Inn. Laurie Morgan frequently visited a hotel I worked in 1990 right after Kieth died. Lou Rawls used to stay at the Campbell hous when I worked there when he came into town to shop for show horses for his daughters. We visited often. The Who stayed three nights at another hotel before and after a Rupp Arena concert. John Entwhistle (sp) sat in on about 6 sets during the two days. J.D. Crowe is a good personal friend, as are several members of the old group Exile. There is a crazy genius piano player here who kept asking where Oscar was staying on a concert visit in the 80's (before his stroke). When I went to the concert at the Singletary Arts center, there was Bruce sitting on the edge of the stage talking to him. Turns out, Bruce toured with Peterson in the 70's as a piano tuner...those big Bosendorfs (sp?) he played at the time. Had a chance to join them for about 5 minutes.

There are many more. The jerk was David Lee Roth. Over the years, I noticed an inverse relationship between talent and courtesy. The most talented folks are the nicest. My curent favorite is Victor Wooten. He comes through Lexington at the Kentucky Theatre once a year or so, and talks to anyone who wants to visit. Of course, my sentimental favorites are Bootsey Collins and George Clinton, and a brief, crazy meeting with James Brown in the 60's.

Life's been good! I just didn't know how fortunate I was to meet so many jazz giants until years later. They just looked like old introverted loners. How sad!

Ah the memories!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-22-2007).]

#158291 - 08/22/07 01:39 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Neat topic Rikki!
Being in a resort area where a variety of entertainers come I have met, even worked for quite a few.
Marvin Hamlish - Great guy and a genius IMO
The Amazing Kreskin - Not a musician but a great entertainer.
Victor Borge - The Best of the Best. And as funny off stage as on.
Roger Williams - A gentleman's gentleman.
Steve Allen - Great on stage. A whack job off stage. RIP
Among those I never met but wanted to:
George Jones
Ray Charles

Eddie

#158292 - 08/22/07 02:15 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
DNJ, surely you can set your sights a little higher than ME! But thanks. Look forward to meeting you in January on your trip to the South.

I hope you can handle me

#158293 - 08/22/07 02:31 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
keysvocalssax Offline

just wanted to add that there is a female counterpart to Tony Bennett! she is the same age (80), is ageless in appearance, she sings better than ever, and she was also, like Tony, an international star who was famous in her early 20's, too. I got to see her at the Litchfield Ct. Jazz Festival last summer and she (and her band)were better than any jazz singer i have heard since Ella and Sarah. there is nobody today even close..the Dianas.. Krall and Reeves included. care to guess her name?

------------------
Miami Mo

#158294 - 08/22/07 02:35 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
keysvocalssax Offline

hint..she has never been known as a jazz singer, but of late has been playing jazz festivals. she has been a sex kitten, an actress, recording star, international cabaret star, and Tv series character..

#158295 - 08/22/07 02:41 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
cgiles Offline

Quote:
hint..she has never been known as a jazz singer, but of late has been playing jazz festivals. she has been a sex kitten, an actress, recording star, international cabaret star, and Tv series character..

I'm probably wrong but you couldn't go wrong with Cleo Laine.

chas

#158296 - 08/22/07 02:50 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Have met quite a few of my heros, played with a few of them, jammed with many more, but my life will never be complete because I never met Ella...

She got me started... playing Rogers and Hart, Gershwin, Cole Porter, etc. Songbook LPs in the late 50's when I was just three or four. I will never tire of her music and voice.

#158297 - 08/22/07 02:51 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Diki Offline

Quote:

Eartha Kitt?

#158298 - 08/22/07 03:00 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Eartha Kitt?

Diki, I thought about her, especially with Mo's "sex kitten" reference, but I just never thought of her as a great singer.

chas

#158299 - 08/22/07 03:02 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Diki Offline

Mo never said she was a 'great' singer...

Just that he wanted to meet her

#158300 - 08/22/07 03:20 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
keysvocalssax Offline

I said she was the BEST JAZZ SINGER i have heard since ella and sarah..better by far than Diana Krall and Dianne Reeves..who are probably the best around today. At the Ct jazz fest, people hung around (like me)to catch a couple of tunes for laughs, and wound up wandering from the parking lot back into the tent, and staying thru the whole set, standing ovations, and nobody could believe that this campy celebrity could be that great..but she was...and her band blew away every other band in the festival..

------------------
Miami Mo

#158301 - 08/22/07 03:21 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
cgiles Offline

The only thing WE are good at is hijacking posts .

chas

#158302 - 08/22/07 03:35 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Diki Offline

OOPS.... forgot the first post, Mo, just looked at the second before I replied. Sorry

#158303 - 08/22/07 04:36 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Rikki:

Let's see:

I got to meet Rosemary Clooney & Michael Feinstein at a gala party, and took a music class where I got to perform (sing) for: the late blues singer: Joe Williams. Arranger players I got to meet include: Martin Harris, Chris Halon, Phil Leader, and Chris Anthony. All talented & great guys.

Most of the legends I'd love to meet are already gone, but of those still alive who I'd love to hear play live & pick their brains include:

Elton John
Billy Joel
Brian Wilson (Beachboys)
Paul McCartney
Ray Price

Scott

#158304 - 08/22/07 04:55 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
I said she was the BEST JAZZ SINGER i have heard since ella and sarah..better by far
than Diana Krall and Dianne Reeves..who are
probably the best around today.

I can't agree that she's the best jaz SINGER since Ella and Sarah, but I defintely think Eartha Kitt a fantastic entertainer. Interestingly enough, I actually had a accidental opportunity to meet her, of all places in a Chinese dim sum restuarant, on Broadway in San Francisco back in the 70's . I was visiting SF with my mom and dad & having dim sum and she was sitting (by herself) in an adjoining booth and asked us what dishes we recommended. She had been performing at a club (Hungry I?) across the street the night before and had dropped in for dim sum lunch. I later learned she regularly enjoyed dining at that restaurant ( Yang Sing Restaurant) when performing in SF.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-22-2007).]

#158305 - 08/22/07 05:12 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
All of the above!
Actually, I don't think I would necessarily want to have a chat and coffee with any of the mega talents mentioned. If I had my druthers, I would love to see them perform again - like when they were in their prime. I would like again see Brubeck with Desmond, Brown and Morello. They were unforgettable musical experiences. And many years ago, I saw a guy named Stan Kenton with a 23 piece (pre-melaphonium) absolutely kick butt band. What an experience! Amazing arrangements, voicings, musicianship Love to see that again. If I had the opportunity to meet Brubeck, Kenton, Peterson et al, Im sure Id react like Rikki I mean - what would I say?
Ciao,
Jerry

#158306 - 08/22/07 06:32 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Meeting Tony Bennett was great and he really is as nice as everyone says he is.

But my real story is meeting Peter Nero in the early 70's when I was in my early 20's. I was attending Florida State University in Tallahassee and playing 6 nights a week at the rooftop lounge of the round Holiday Inn. This was one of the nicest clubs in town. Peter was in town to play a concert. My wife went, but I had to work so I didn't go. It so happened that he was staying in the hotel, and he and his trio walked into the lounge at around 11:00 PM. He nodded to me as I was playing. During the break I went over and introduced myself to him and said something like, it's nice to finally meet you Mr. Nero. To which he replied, please call me Pete. He stayed the whole rest of the night and he the bartender and me were there until 4 in the morning. It's an evening I've never forgotten.

Well, about 5 years ago he was in town, (Baltimore), conducting the Baltimore Symphony and I went backstage to see him. I told him the story and he was a gracious as he could possibly be. He said, how have you been? Now I know he couldn't have possibly remembered that evening so long ago, but he played right along. He's an incredible pianist, conductor and all around good guy. These days he conducts the Philly Pops. You guys in Philly are really lucky.

Ciao,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#158307 - 08/22/07 07:07 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
keysvocalssax Offline

Scotty, i wouldn't expect anyone to believe that an 80 year old woman who has been known primarily as an entertainer and comic chanteuse, played Catwoman in the old Batman series, and is a campy diva icon. We hung around to hear her only because we came for Bob Dorough (who was great) and Dave Samuels (who was boring) and we just had to see the real thing, since the promo fotos of her in a slinky gown were so unbelievably sexy and glamorous, we figured they were either photoshop or from 40 years earlier.. but at 80 she looked excactly like the photos..if anything even sexier. and we wanted to get a chuckle from her famed comic persona onstage for at least one tune, and she didn't disappoint, it was one of her famous hilarious songs and she is an actress par excellence---but her voice was just so mesmerizing we stayed, and stayed, and so did people who were already at their cars and ready to go home..remember this was a jazz crowd, not a campy cabaret crowd..and it was her jazz singing that did it..her voice is a magnificent instrument, her range is amazing, her phrasing astounding..before you agree or disagree you'd have to see and hear her live. I have seen and heard all the greatest live.. Ella, Carmen, Sarah, Peggy, Rosemary..I put Eartha up there with them in a heartbeat. I'm as shocked as anyone to read what i just wrote!

------------------
Miami Mo

#158308 - 08/22/07 08:05 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Back in 1965 my band were recording the title music to a movie and our regular guitarist was having trouble playing the solo to the producer's liking. So a quick phone call was made and who showed up? Jimmy Page, who, at the time, was a regular session guy around London. He came in, did a couple of minutes of run-through, laid the track down and was gone.

Another guitarist, by the name of Eric Clapton, still owes me a beer, having bummed one off me one night when he was a bit short of cash at a gig. Great days!!

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 08-22-2007).]

#158309 - 08/23/07 12:49 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
for me it had been about 15 years of collecting Clayderman CD's, music books, even learnt to play the piano (sort of haa haa).
Just luved his style of piano.

It's really great reading about other members experiences and who they admire & would luv to meet.

Thanks Guys

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#158310 - 08/23/07 08:10 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
keysvocalssax Offline

one should never go back and reread their posts..i had so many dumb typos plus i said TB came to Miami for his 75th b-day concert in 1992, shoulda said 2002 of course. also neglected to say that his book "The Good Life" is a truly wonderful read, and a tremendous insight into the man. get one online if you can, if still in print should be available for a bargain rate.

#158311 - 08/23/07 09:11 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dnj Offline

I met Uncle Dave on a gig years ago & it forever changed my life

#158312 - 08/23/07 11:30 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Aw..... you old softy!

#158313 - 08/23/07 11:46 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Scottyee Offline

Speaking of celebs like Eartha Kitt, of who the general public generally doesn't consider jazz singers, Doris Day is another talented singer which comes to mind. In addition to her Big Band singer songs (Sentimental Journey, and 50's vocals, check out her jazz duet album pairing with both jazz piano & classical conducter great Anrde Previn in the song Close Your Eyes featured on the 1960 album entitled DUET .

Almost forgot . . . when I was growing up, I used to spot Ms Day at the Safeway Supermarket in Carmel Valley. Does that count?

Scott

#158314 - 08/23/07 01:02 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
There are many I would love to meet. Keith Emerson, Stevie Wonder, many others, but the guy I'd really love to meet and have some time with would be a guitarist by the name of Les Paul. I'm sure you've all heard of him.
He comes from a small town just west of Milwaukee called Waukesha where there is The Les Paul Museum. I hear he is just a super person.
Last fathers day a local radio station had the whole day dedicated to him as "the father of the electric guitar. He is an astounding man, a great innovator/inventer responsible for a lot of what we hear on every recording we listen to.
A link for you to enjoy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul

Jim

#158315 - 08/23/07 01:11 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dreamer Offline

... and he still plays at 92...

#158316 - 08/23/07 01:17 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Yes and just released an album recentlywith many assorted guitar greats.
Great pic btw, thank you!
Jim
Another good link with listening samples to his tribute album of 2 years ago. http://www.lespaulonline.com/music.html

[This message has been edited by OldNewb (edited 08-23-2007).]

#158317 - 08/23/07 01:41 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dreamer Offline

#158318 - 08/23/07 07:07 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Fav Singer/Muso I have met:

Chris Isaak.

Funny (F U N N Y ) guy in concert.
GREAT (G R E A T) voice (Live and on record).

Dead Singers/Musos I would've liked to have met:

Elvis.
Dean Martin.

I fully realise that the above 2 names are IMMENSELY obvious, but as time goes on, I really think these two are just...I have no words really.

Live Singer/Songwriter I would like to meet still:

Elvis Costello.

As a disclaimer on my choices I would like to add the following comments:

There are really too many names to mention, and many of them have been mentioned ALREADY above, so I'm not going to re-iterate, but merely add to the list of the UN-mentioned.

Also, I have a wider taste in Singers AND Muscians then you all might assume judging by the above names (including the Jazz Greats) but like I said, those names above haven't been mentioned yet, so.....

One final thing *sigh* - sorry.

Why the hell IS Chris Isaak so underrated and unappreciated????

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#158319 - 08/23/07 08:00 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Scottyee Offline

Hi Hellboy: Rest assured, Stockton, CA born, Chris Isaak remains one of fav musicians too. I used to catch his act back in college at the local SF clubs before he hit national fame. He still lives here in San Francisco, out in the Sunset District, so still spot him around the area. - Scott

#158320 - 08/23/07 09:04 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
So it's you and me Scott!

lol

Now if we can just find someone else who likes him....

Actually my wife and I are planning to go to the U.S. (we're from Australia)and, if we can, we'd LOVE to go to San Fran.

We'll meet you there and track him down!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#158321 - 12/03/07 10:03 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:

Well folks ..it happened for me!!!

Did I ever get a chance to meet Brenda Lee...You bet your bippy..I did.

Brenda was scheduled to perform at the Wildwood Convention building...her Christmas special show {Dec 1, 2009).
As luck [bad luck] would have it ..I was booked in Wildwood the same night in Wildwood, and could not attend her show..
I contacted her agent to see if she might stop by my gig[would have been great backing Brenda for a couple tunes]..
Short story..the agent ignored me..

The Brenda Lee special was promoted by Joey M[owner of La Piazza in Wildwood}..He puts all the "oldie shows" together..
I have played at La Piazza's and have close friendships with many of the people there...

My friend Suzann, set it up that I would be there[dinner with Brenda]..on the QT..
No one knew she would be there..My friends Johnny,Jimmy and Dave ( Aquanets} were security for Brenda during her stay...
After Brenda said goodbye to me at La Piazza's..I waited another half hour and decided to find something to do (I still had 3 and a half hours before my gig}...What a surprise , as I was leaving, one of the bosses[La Piazza]..stopped me and supplied me with an Brenda Lee "all access" pass...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was dressed as a musician[musical tie]..and folks must have thought I was traveling with Brenda....Amazing as security was...I was treated like a celebrity[no, I did not abuse my privilege}...
To shorten the story, I was able to spend more time with Brenda in the staging area, behind the scenes..along with the other performers ..including the singing mayor of Wildwood[the group 45 RPM]..also the lovely and talented Sherry[formerly of Star]..
Our MC..Joey M, opened the show with his Sinatra tunes, and was joined ..later with Lou Costella[Wildwoods top DJ, from WVLT radio}..

Brenda opened her show with a new tune I never heard..wow a great opener and a terrific band[her band..keyboard, bass, drums, sax, and a pair of "cute" and talented back up singers..}I met one of them at La Piazza's...Brenda said [on stage] I guess you folks want to hear my old stuff..after applause...she said"Well we aren't going to do them".....just kidding naturally...

She did several of her big hits[that sold over 100 million..tops for any female artist ever}...

Unfortunately I had to leave early, before the show was over....but this dream came true ..more than I could have imagined..

My thanks to all my friends that made it possible...and to Brenda.....

#158322 - 12/03/07 12:27 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
rikkisbears Offline

Hi fran,
that's amazing.
Dreams do come true.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fran Carango:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#158323 - 12/03/07 12:33 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Way to go Fran. Sounds like you had a pretty exciting experience.
Ciao,
Jerry

#158324 - 12/03/07 01:06 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
tcon Offline

Loc: Pinellas Park.Florida. usa
Great topic.I have been very lucky in the fact that I worked with a lot of big names.My favourite though was Roy Orbison.I first opened for him in Ireland and then again in germany in 1972.Amazingly I worked with him again in Canada.I never had much of a chance to speak to him on those occasions as he would arrive for the gig just before he was due to play and leave straight afterwards.However the last time I saw him was in London Ontario and I sat on his tour bus and talked to him for a couple of hours.He was a very shy man and a complete gentleman.

#158325 - 12/03/07 01:35 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dnj Offline

Quote:

#158326 - 12/03/07 01:36 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Great story, Fran. I'm very happy and proud for you. I was wondering what would cause someone to dig up this old thread. This was definitely worth it. Merry CHRISTmas!

#158327 - 12/03/07 01:40 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dnj Offline

Fran & Brenda Lee

#158328 - 12/03/07 03:40 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow..... I know how tall Fran is - "Lil Miss Dynamite" must be almost 4 ft tall !

#158329 - 12/03/07 05:19 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Fran Carango Offline

Her height is stated as 4'7" to 4'9"..and of course she is wearing high heels.... ..At 5'7" ..I tower over her.. .....But guess what?..She is a giant in her field..

#158330 - 12/03/07 05:30 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Fran Carango Offline

Hey guys,,she is coming your way[North East and mid West]..Interesting website...check it out...
http://www.brendalee.com/pages/schedule.html

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online