SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#158307 - 08/22/07 07:07 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Scotty, i wouldn't expect anyone to believe that an 80 year old woman who has been known primarily as an entertainer and comic chanteuse, played Catwoman in the old Batman series, and is a campy diva icon. We hung around to hear her only because we came for Bob Dorough (who was great) and Dave Samuels (who was boring) and we just had to see the real thing, since the promo fotos of her in a slinky gown were so unbelievably sexy and glamorous, we figured they were either photoshop or from 40 years earlier.. but at 80 she looked excactly like the photos..if anything even sexier. and we wanted to get a chuckle from her famed comic persona onstage for at least one tune, and she didn't disappoint, it was one of her famous hilarious songs and she is an actress par excellence---but her voice was just so mesmerizing we stayed, and stayed, and so did people who were already at their cars and ready to go home..remember this was a jazz crowd, not a campy cabaret crowd..and it was her jazz singing that did it..her voice is a magnificent instrument, her range is amazing, her phrasing astounding..before you agree or disagree you'd have to see and hear her live. I have seen and heard all the greatest live.. Ella, Carmen, Sarah, Peggy, Rosemary..I put Eartha up there with them in a heartbeat. I'm as shocked as anyone to read what i just wrote!

------------------
Miami Mo

#158308 - 08/22/07 08:05 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Back in 1965 my band were recording the title music to a movie and our regular guitarist was having trouble playing the solo to the producer's liking. So a quick phone call was made and who showed up? Jimmy Page, who, at the time, was a regular session guy around London. He came in, did a couple of minutes of run-through, laid the track down and was gone.

Another guitarist, by the name of Eric Clapton, still owes me a beer, having bummed one off me one night when he was a bit short of cash at a gig. Great days!!

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 08-22-2007).]

#158309 - 08/23/07 12:49 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
for me it had been about 15 years of collecting Clayderman CD's, music books, even learnt to play the piano (sort of haa haa).
Just luved his style of piano.

It's really great reading about other members experiences and who they admire & would luv to meet.

Thanks Guys

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#158310 - 08/23/07 08:10 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
one should never go back and reread their posts..i had so many dumb typos plus i said TB came to Miami for his 75th b-day concert in 1992, shoulda said 2002 of course. also neglected to say that his book "The Good Life" is a truly wonderful read, and a tremendous insight into the man. get one online if you can, if still in print should be available for a bargain rate.

#158311 - 08/23/07 09:11 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dnj Offline

I met Uncle Dave on a gig years ago & it forever changed my life

#158312 - 08/23/07 11:30 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Aw..... you old softy!

#158313 - 08/23/07 11:46 AM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Speaking of celebs like Eartha Kitt, of who the general public generally doesn't consider jazz singers, Doris Day is another talented singer which comes to mind. In addition to her Big Band singer songs (Sentimental Journey, and 50's vocals, check out her jazz duet album pairing with both jazz piano & classical conducter great Anrde Previn in the song Close Your Eyes featured on the 1960 album entitled DUET .

Almost forgot . . . when I was growing up, I used to spot Ms Day at the Safeway Supermarket in Carmel Valley. Does that count?

Scott

#158314 - 08/23/07 01:02 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
There are many I would love to meet. Keith Emerson, Stevie Wonder, many others, but the guy I'd really love to meet and have some time with would be a guitarist by the name of Les Paul. I'm sure you've all heard of him.
He comes from a small town just west of Milwaukee called Waukesha where there is The Les Paul Museum. I hear he is just a super person.
Last fathers day a local radio station had the whole day dedicated to him as "the father of the electric guitar. He is an astounding man, a great innovator/inventer responsible for a lot of what we hear on every recording we listen to.
A link for you to enjoy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul

Jim

#158315 - 08/23/07 01:11 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy

... and he still plays at 92...

#158316 - 08/23/07 01:17 PM Re: OT: What famous Musician In Your Lifetime Would You Luv To Meet ( and have you)
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Yes and just released an album recentlywith many assorted guitar greats.
Great pic btw, thank you!
Jim
Another good link with listening samples to his tribute album of 2 years ago. http://www.lespaulonline.com/music.html

[This message has been edited by OldNewb (edited 08-23-2007).]

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online