SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158244 - 12/09/05 10:25 AM Ketron XD-3
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Folks I have a question about the Ketron XD-3. I see that you record user styles (unless I'm mis-reading something), but on the Ketron US page I was reading the specs and saw under SONG RECORD it says, "Real time Song Recording to Disk". Is this like the older Ketron models (I believe it was the MS series), and also like the PSR's that recorded tracks directly to floppy? If so how many tracks will it record? Also what's a decent price for one of these? Are they good with PC softare such as Cakewalk?

I'm curious about this unit because the wife has been very generous with me lately in regards to my toys I have a new Fostex Digital on the way right now , got a new pool table, new gun, and other toys so far for Christmas I'm looking to the XD-3 as as a nice light add on module for my WK-3500.

Thanks,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#158245 - 12/09/05 11:31 AM Re: Ketron XD-3
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Squeak , look at the Midjay instead...it is much smaller...You can make/edit styles on the computer[EMC]...and the plusses of the Midjay make it a better generosity gift..You can also record style , sequence and two track[stereo] audio in a single take..

#158246 - 12/09/05 11:38 AM Re: Ketron XD-3
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
squeak,
you can record 8 track patterns internally on the XD3 and store up to 200 with an optional chip and about 50 without the chip.
When you record a song, you either have to use a floppy or an internal hard drive and you are recording, in stereo, direct to disk. You cannot go back in and record more tracks. If you use cakewalk, or other software, you can record 16 tracks and then play them direct from disk for 16 track playback.

George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#158247 - 12/09/05 12:03 PM Re: Ketron XD-3
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Saw the price for the XD-3 at Music123, and just curious why in the world is this model costing over $1,400????? I know Ketron has great styles (that I won't dispute), but if it's basically a module with sounds, styles and ability to create styles (without a true sequecner, then why is the price so high on them? Is it primarily the name and Ketron not really being one of the more common names in the states (which in my opinion it should be because I think the SD-1 is a killer keyboard).

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#158248 - 12/09/05 12:41 PM Re: Ketron XD-3
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
squeak,
actually, there are only a couple of modules left being made that are arranger modules. The XD3, which is about $1400.00 and the Generalmusic GenesysXP which is about $3000.00.
If you look back several years ago, there were many more modules to choose from. Roland had a couple and so did Korg. Actually, the $1400.00 price is quite reasonable for a pro module for arranger use. A module is usually only a few hundred dollars less than their equivalent keyboard versions. Yamaha makes a QY100, but this is not really in the same catagory as a true arranger and although it runs around $500.00 and it is a cool little box, I wouldn't put it in the same catagory as a dedicated arranger module. Roland, Korg and Yamaha do not make arranger modules any more. So, with all this said, the XD3 is really a good value for a dedicated arranger.
Although Don has spoken of the midjay as a dedicated arranger, most of my customers don't like the fact that there are very few buttons as found on the XD3.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online