SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#157789 - 10/01/04 11:00 AM LUCAS XT
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Here are some first impressions on this system. When I first saw the box: "wow this thing is small"! I was even more surprised when I took the three pieces out of the box. Looks like a toy amp!

I already own the original LUCAS and for many jobs I run it at half of the power or less. I thought I didn't need to carry that big system, if I find something much smaller that assures the same sound quality. I didn't have surprises when I plugged it: the sound character is the same as the original LUCAS! Fat and full sound, well balanced at all levels.

HK has learnt with the original LUCAS and improved the number of controls. Subwoofer level allows to keep bottom-end adequate at all levels - I sometimes miss this knob in my big LUCAS. Three stereo inputs, XLR, RCA and XLR-Mic, all with separate gain controls. Limiter warning led, stereo/mono switch. I'm using the very same equalizer Tyros settings I use for the big LUCAS brother, and it sounded great right out of the box. One great thing is that for the satellites one can use mic stands (very lightweight satellites) instead of the heavier and bigger speakers stands! I really feel I'm not loosing anything besides power, in comparison with my previous LUCAS. If I have to name some difference I notice in the sound, I would say that my voice seems to have slightly less bottom-end frequencies. Nothing special, and I can always compensate by singing closer to the mic, with the subwoofer level to some extend, or with the voice eq. in the Tyros.

As I also own a Motion Sound KP-200S (about the same price in Europe) I can say that this little LUCAS sounds better than it. More stereo separation, less noisy (hiss), and no need of equalization at all. About the same weight but more transportable: I purchased also a specific HK Roller bag for the three pieces plus cables. Neat!

Tomorrow I will try it in a dinner-dancing with 130/140 people capacity. First time in that restaurant, but I'm really so confident that I don't hesitate. This is definitely a keeper!

More (official) info: http://www.hkaudio.com/Portable/Active/lucas_xt/

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 10-01-2004).]

#157790 - 10/01/04 11:41 AM Re: LUCAS XT
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Available in U.S.? How much?

#157791 - 10/01/04 02:39 PM Re: LUCAS XT
Dnj Offline

European or USA voltage?

#157792 - 10/01/04 05:33 PM Re: LUCAS XT
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hi!
Available in USA yes, because http://www.hkaudio.com/Contact/show_distrib.php?Country=45&cc_id=226

Email: usa@hkaudio.com

What about asking your local dealer, because this systems are really good, very close to the excellent Mackie active systems but cheaper.

This small system sounds like the bigger LUCAS systems, the only limit is the SPL, so you can use XT for smaller crowds up to 80 persons (absolute maximum for medium sound level)

------------------
Regards
RF

#157793 - 10/01/04 05:38 PM Re: LUCAS XT
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Price is crucial, since the Logitech 2200 is only $60. Oh, never mind, I'm sure nothing can come even close to that price.

#157794 - 10/01/04 08:17 PM Re: LUCAS XT
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Jose,

Glad to hear you like the XT, thanks for the review. How is the volume of sound compared with the KP200? Also, how is the high end, crisp, sizzle, or average? How about the bottom... tight, firm, boomy/mushy, typical sub-woofer?

Good luck and fill us in on tomorrow's dinner/dance.

Glenn

#157795 - 10/01/04 08:22 PM Re: LUCAS XT
GlennT Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Available in U.S.?

Not currently available in the US. I've communicated with HK Audio and this is what they emailed me:

Thank you very much for your e-mail and your interest in the LUCAS XT system. Unfortunately, we are currently not represented by any dealer on the US market. Therefore, we are unable to quote prices.

However, we are negotiating with some companies, so we assume that HK AUDIO products will soon be available again on the US market.

#157796 - 10/08/04 09:23 AM Re: LUCAS XT
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
Not currently available in the US. I've communicated with HK Audio and this is what they emailed me:

However, we are negotiating with some companies, so we assume that HK AUDIO products will soon be available again on the US market.

I suspected this, given that I never found one of these systems in an american online store. However it's interesting that one can find both options 110/220 V printed in the package box, so HK should be in the process of preparing the appearance of their products in the american market.

About the LUCAS XT itself, I had the opportunity to test it in a medium size dancing party (100 people) a few days ago. Well, I would say it's about the recommended maximum for this PA. It will perfectly cover a lot of my jobs (dancing diners, clubs, small parties), and that fulfills my goals. For weddings and big parties I'll keep using its big brother LUCAS, with about twice the power.

Glenn, I had to check carefully the meaning of the english words sizzle and crisp. What I can say about the high-end is that it's not as proeminent, not as agressive as the Mackies'. I had two bi-amped RCF speakers (many Mackie products incorporate now RCF technology), some years ago, and the sound was less "acoustic", with a more agressive high-end, great for electronic music. But I prefer the very clean and full sound of the XT. Not muddy AT ALL, even at maximum volume. Clean and full sound - it's how I would describe it. Best of all, besides the lesser power, I do not feel any loss of quality relative to my bigger PA, and that was exactly what I was looking for.

SemiLiveMusic, the price in Europe is around Euro 1150. Yeah, very different than the Logitech system price, but I believe they are two worlds apart...

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 10-08-2004).]

#157797 - 10/08/04 02:57 PM Re: LUCAS XT
GlennT Offline

Thanks for the report, Jose. Glad you're happy with the system. Hopefully, the LUCAS XT will be in the States in the not to distant future. It seem like it could be the perfect system for duos and singles looking for light weight, but high quality stereo sound.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online