SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#157707 - 12/16/02 04:51 PM Re: Help......I need somebody!
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
My $25 ear phones with a $39 CD player sound much better than my 15" Peavey TLS5's and my SxA100. There's just something about those things on your head over your ears. If I really want to try a keyboard out at the store I won't let then hornsnaggle me into trying it with ear-hones. My $350 yamaha PSR way back in the 80's maybe a psr70 sounds good with ear-phones.
Boo

#157708 - 12/17/02 02:18 PM Re: Help......I need somebody!
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hello Everyone,
Thanks for your input and advice it is much appreciated.

After writing this post I went to bed and woke up the next morning with flu

I will respond properly when I feel human again, but for the moment please accept my apologies for asking for advice and being so tardy in replying.

Speak to you all soon (sniff sniffle sniff)
Tony W

#157709 - 12/21/02 05:06 PM Re: Help......I need somebody!
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi everyone,
I am getting over my flu (thankfully) and just wanted to thank you all properly for your input.

I think I need to invest in some decent speakers first off. Initially I was quite impressed with the MS50's that came with the pro but I just cannot seem to get a decent sound out of them.

At least I now know that headphones are a no no. As UD said they are way too complimentary.

Anyway many thanks again.
Best to you all
Tony
BTW As per advice have put a Steely Dan album on my Christmas list....the other half said "Who is Steely Dan?"

#157710 - 12/21/02 09:35 PM Re: Help......I need somebody!
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Tony,
the mind behind Steely Dan is a guy called Donald Fagen, who later left the group and pursued his own career as a solist. His album "The night fly" is still considered a reference to test an hi-fi system; he is a real maniac about sound quality; I once read an interview where he said that he hated synthesizers (all of them) because they are never in pitch, meaning that even when a sound is in pitch in one octave, it goes out of pitch in the other octaves (lower or higher). That's why in his record you can usually hear only acoustic instruments or the Rhodes piano, where you have to tune each note individually.

#157711 - 12/24/02 02:56 AM Re: Help......I need somebody!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
But Donald Fagen did use the Yamaha DX-7 on a number of Steely Dan tracks despite his well publicized views on synthesizer tuning. I know my earliest synth memories were of a MiniMoog synth that always went out of tune as you changed the octave tuning on an oscillator. Sequential Circuits Prophets despite their auto tune facility always sounded out of tune to me also.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online