SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157427 - 01/22/01 11:20 AM rootless chord pole
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Tell us the type of chord recognition that you use most often. I'll start I use three fingered mode.

Tom

Tom

#157428 - 01/22/01 11:24 AM Re: rootless chord pole
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Tom,

please define the 3-fingered mode. Do you mean by it that you only use 3 fingers ?

What are the other options?

#157429 - 01/22/01 12:30 PM Re: rootless chord pole
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
My Technics KN5000 has three modes:

one finger mode (split keyboard)
fingered mode (split keyboard)
pianist mode (full keyboard)

My playing is evenly split between using "fingered" and "pianist" modes. I usually set up a song to use a combination of these two modes for different parts of the song. I typically use "pianist" full keyboard mode when playing/comping using a keyboard sound (acoustic/elec piano, organ). For instrumental solo parts of the song, I go into split "fingered" mode whereas I play the comping chords in the left hand (piano comping, string pad, or vocal sounds), while my right hand plays the instrumental solos (sax, flute, synth lead, etc). I go back to full keyboard mode when I want a full bodied keyboard vocal accompaniment or when playing a piano solo (left hand playing rootless voiced harmonies and right hand soloing. I "always" make sure BOTH the left hand and right hand parts sound when I play, for a completely "live", sound.

Scott

#157430 - 01/22/01 01:04 PM Re: rootless chord pole
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I guess I should say split mode because some chords are 4 note chords.

Tom

#157431 - 01/22/01 02:37 PM Re: rootless chord pole
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Well,

I use the following:

1) Full mode

2) split mode that has the most functionality.

I strongly avoid the "one-finger" mode. Any chord has to be at least 3 fingers. I usually use 4 and sometimes 5 fingers. This is in the split mode of course. I only use left hand for the chord which usually leads to closed chords.

#157432 - 01/22/01 03:57 PM Re: rootless chord pole
Clif Anderson Offline

What kind of "pole" is this, totem, cat, or Lech Walesa?

I use the split mode that distinguishes between different inversions of a chord. In other words, I want G-C-E to sound differently than C-E-G. I have tried the full keyboard mode, but find it less predictable.

#157433 - 01/22/01 04:17 PM Re: rootless chord pole
rdr Offline

Loc: PA US
I have been running a poll on this same subject for the last year on my website (Technics Players List):

http:www.charterpa.net/rdross

Over 500 have participated. Just click on Polls in the upper portion of the main page to see the interesting results.

Dave Ross

#157434 - 01/22/01 05:26 PM Re: rootless chord pole
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I like playing left hand chords as Scott in Pianst mode on many tunes. Playing full piano with just the Bass and Drums for instrumentals and for vocals also. I like the swing and jazz feeling of a trio. Bass Drums and Piano.

I also use the full range acc parts with a split keyboard.
Boo

#157435 - 01/22/01 05:59 PM Re: rootless chord pole
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I like to finger my chords in the left hand on my G1000. ocassionly going to full range as Scott does. I also make use of bass inversion, it plays the lowest key as the bass note [ as an example EGBC= Cmaj7/E]

#157436 - 01/23/01 08:47 AM Re: rootless chord pole
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I generally use "fingered pro" mode on the PSR9000. It allows me to play a chord, then play individual left hand notes until the left hand again plays at least 3 notes simultaneously. I use "On Bass" mode when I want the bass not to be determined by the lowest key in the chord I play.
Who will be counting dimples in this poll?
DonM

#157437 - 01/23/01 01:51 PM Re: rootless chord pole
Scottyee Offline

Don, The PSR9000's "Fingered Pro" sounds like a great mode. Does anyone know if this type of mode is available on any other brand arranger keyboard except Yamaha?

BTW, another way I like to customize my Technics KN5000 setup is to select full keyboard mode (pianist mode - with chords recognition across the entire keyboard), but splitting the keyboard into two voices (left hand "piano" and right hand "soloing instrument" voice). This way I can have both the comping piano (left hand) playing rootless style chords while the right hand plays the instrumental solo (sax) or other. This allows the arranger to read my chords based on "both" of my instruments being simutaneously played across the board.
- Scott

#157438 - 01/23/01 03:42 PM Re: rootless chord pole
DonM Offline

Scott, actually your KN5000 has this capability. One of the Fingered Chord modes allows you to play individual notes until you hit 3 together.
DonM

#157439 - 01/23/01 06:49 PM Re: rootless chord pole
Scottyee Offline

By gosh DonM, you are right.
I guess I have been using the "fingered mode" but just had never given a thought about the chord staying on the 'same' chord until at least another 3 note chord was played again. Makes sense, I'll now try playing around with left hand fills/riffs

BTW: Can someone tell me "which" arranger keyboard(s)/models (if any) allow you to split the keyboard and allow you to play bass lines in the left hand and have the right hand play (piano comping chords) which trigger the arranger keyboard to produce the correct backup auto-accompaniment parts? The Technics KN5000 only allows you to trigger chords in the LEFT part (split mode) of the keyboard or ENTIRE keyboard (pianist mode). The KN5000 does not allow you to set up the RIGHT part for triggering auto-accompaniment chord recogniton.
Thanks, Scott

#157440 - 01/23/01 06:57 PM Re: rootless chord pole
DonM Offline

Scott,
I trick I used to use on the KN5000 was to take a Piano voice, lower it 1 octave and save it to a custom voice. Then assign it to the left hand. Gives you a nice lower-octave piano to play between changes. You have set the volume just right on the left hand voice, then play with a light touch when hitting the chords, and a little firmer when playing the piano fills or runs.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online