SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#157241 - 12/25/04 10:03 AM Hypercanvas
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/hyperCanvas.html

Does Hypercanvas sound as good as the online demo, (Jazz sample especially), or is it like some of the keyboard demos that sound great online and less than fair in person?

How would you compare the sound of Hypercanvas to keyboards you are familiar with?

I am interested in how it sounds used as an arranger mostly rather than as a sequencer as I know one can create a sequence that sounds dynamite and those same sounds are of poor quality as a live arranger.

Thanx
Scott Langholff

#157242 - 12/25/04 11:18 AM Re: Hypercanvas
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Just my opinion,

I have not used Hypercanvas extensively but for me, it is far behind my Pa80.

Stam

#157243 - 12/25/04 03:48 PM Re: Hypercanvas
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Scott,
in using a Hypercanvas as a soundsource for just say, a psr style, would be similar to using a roland style converted for a psr. The style is going to need some tweaking.

If you're trying to clone your Tyros ( for backup purposes )by using Hypercanvas & OMB, don't think it will work. For instance the xg sounds in my Clavinova and the GM sounds in Hypercanvas, just plain sound different.
Unfortunately Yamaha doesn't appear to make a softsynth anymore. The old SYXG50 softsynth sounded reasonably close to the xg sounds in my Clavinova , but certainly didn't have the same quality.

I would say that the majority of psr styles floating round on the net, are conversions from other brands of keyboards anyway, so personally i decided that, if I was going to have to tweak these styles regardless, why not tweak them for a soundsource that I wiil have for years to come ( ie I usually had to sell the keyboard , so that I can afford to get the next model) I won't need to do that with software, if something better comes along, I will add it, not replace what I've already got.
On the whole, I'm really pleased with Hypercanvas /omb setup, ie I've tweaked the same style for my clavinova & for hypercanvas, they sound different, but they both sound ok ( at least to me haahaa)

As for using this setup live, I can't comment because I don't perform.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
[B

I am interested in how it sounds used as an arranger mostly rather than as a sequencer as I know one can create a sequence that sounds dynamite and those same sounds are of poor quality as a live arranger.

Thanx
Scott Langholff[/B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#157244 - 12/25/04 07:17 PM Re: Hypercanvas
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Scott Langholff, the Hyper Canvas would sound as good as any middle of the line arranger keyboards. Rikki is right you have to tweak the sounds and effects to optimize the sound for Yamaha styles or midis.

I use a number of GM/GS/XG wavetables. The one I use most often is the sYnerGi GS wavetable. I have modified this wavetable with instruments converted from the GM500 GigaStudio wavetable. Currently my modified sYnerGi GS wavetable weighs in at 128 mb. Plus I use high quality effects.

After having said all this, I go up another notch or two in quality for my lead/melody voices. I use Kontakt as my sample player and high quality virtual acoustic instruments and effects. This system exceeds anything you will find in any hardware based solution. Plus my system works well for both studio and live performances.

#157245 - 12/26/04 03:19 PM Re: Hypercanvas
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,

"the penny has finally dropped", the GM500 Giga that you've refferred to on a couple of occasions is actually a cd library of GM sounds for the giga sampler?? Then you've converted them to a soundfont using ???
Sorry but I've lost the link to the program you gave me a while back.

I had to remove the synergi fonts from my laptop after I updated to the windows
pack 2 ?? It was causing hassles with forte.. Didn't have that problem in my desktop though. I'm going to try reloading them.

Accidently discovered that version 8 of OMB appears to allow me to assign a mixture of outs on the 16 midi channels . ie I think i can assign my clavinova via usb to play channel 1 for melody, & channels 10 to 16 via forte to play hypercanvas or fonts or whatever. I'll do some more checking. Hadn't noticed this on earlier versions.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L.
Rosenthal:
[B]I use a number of GM/GS/XG wavetables. The one I use most often is the sYnerGi GS wavetable. I have modified this wavetable with instruments converted from the GM500 GigaStudio wavetable. Currently my modified sYnerGi GS wavetable weighs in at 128 mb. Plus I use high quality effects.

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 12-27-2004).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#157246 - 12/26/04 07:12 PM Re: Hypercanvas

rikkisbears, I mainly use CDXtract to convert from one format to another. It is not perfect but with a little editing you can get most of the samples to work as they should. Simple conversions such as the GM500 to soundfonts work very well. I also use Awave Studio.

In addition, Kontakt will do conversion from soundfont, giga, etc. to its format.

Again with a little effort you can setup excellent wavetables including soundfonts. Keep in mind these are upfront investments and later on you are merely updating or making minor/smaller improvements as you require them. This is what is so good with a software based system. The secret is to stay with it even though some days it looks like you are taking one step forward followed by 2 steps backwards.

Rikki, you can use more than one instance of any sample player or synth and send various channels including layering in forte to the synth or sampler of your choice. You can save this as a scene and instantly change your setup to another scene (different effects or voices).

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 12-26-2004).]

#157247 - 12/26/04 11:43 PM Re: Hypercanvas
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Scott,
I have downloaded a demo of Hypercanvas, and have been happy with the sounds. It's in the bottom of the link you provided.
It is miles ahead of my current Casio, but according to my ears, it sounds close to WK-3000/3500. It has 26 MB samples.
Give it a try,
Theodore.

#157248 - 12/27/04 02:45 PM Re: Hypercanvas
rikkisbears Offline

Thank you Frank,
just couldn't remember the name of the program.
I reloaded the synergi fonts into the laptop, and things appear to be working ok again.
I've now got full use of the Dell desk top
( our ex work computer ) so now I can do a bit more experimenting with the fonts etc. I didn't want to experiment too much with my music laptop just in case I mucked something up.

I have quite a few of those 1 step forward days & 2 steps back, but that's half the fun, when you feel you've acheived something.

I've sort of worked out how the scenes work with software based instruments ie using fonts to play just say channels 10 to 13 of the style & hypercanvas to play channel 14 to 16, but it doesn't appear to allow me to include my clavinova which I use to play melody part channel 1 ( or have I missed something).

What OMB now lets me do is set midi channel 1 to play via usb ( my clavinova / dgx etc) and midi channels 10 to 16 to play via midi yoke ( the soundfonts, hypercanvas etc via Forte software)

Actually any of the 16 channels can be set to whatever instrument you want to use. So it gives me the option of mixture of hardware plus software based synths (via Forte.)

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]

Rikki, you can use more than one instance of any sample player or synth and send various channels including layering in forte to the synth or sampler of your choice. You can save this as a scene and instantly change your setup to another scene (different effects or voices).

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#157249 - 12/27/04 07:44 PM Re: Hypercanvas

Rikki, you should beable to play one of the voices in either Soundfonts or your Hyper Canvas on channel 1. Just make sure that Channel 1 is turned on in forte along with the appropriate port. It should be the port that you plugged your keyboard into (soundcard port) that is activated in forte. Give this a try and see what happens. If it turns out that you have only one port in your soundcard which goes to OMB and you cannot have another device connected to it (forte) then you may have to get something like Midi Connection Center which allows for multiple connections. This is free software from: http://www.musiclab.com/downloads/free/

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 12-27-2004).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online