SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#157194 - 07/29/03 01:05 PM KN-6000 vs PSR-2100
jm_bogey Offline

Loc: Montreal,QC, Canada
I may be change my KN6000 for he Yamaha PSR-2100.

Do you thing I made a good move ???

#157195 - 07/29/03 01:25 PM Re: KN-6000 vs PSR-2100
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Why not just buy the 2100 and have the best of both worlds

Jerry

#157196 - 07/29/03 02:06 PM Re: KN-6000 vs PSR-2100
jm_bogey Offline

I need some money to do the change !!!

#157197 - 07/29/03 05:18 PM Re: KN-6000 vs PSR-2100
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Do you sing? The Yamaha has a big edge there, but the kn has a superior sound system.

#157198 - 07/30/03 10:15 AM Re: KN-6000 vs PSR-2100
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
With the exception of the Yamaha PSR-2100 having a better vocal harmonizer function the Technics KN6000 is a much better instrument. The features the KN6000 has that make it superior are:

A nicer feeling keyboard with aftertouch (PSR keyboard feels very cheap in comparison)

Better sounds overall (Soloist sounds are great)

A sequencer that's quite useful (Yamaha's sequencer is a toy in comparison)

More extensive style editing features

More extensive sound editing features

Synthesis features for creating entirely new sounds

Tracker ball with real time control functions. This is especially useful for filtering sounds or doing pan and FX control in real time.

Expansion board capability (2 slots)

Hard disk capability

Better build quality

FLASH based software for updating

FLASH based sequencer memory so you can record a song without having to worry if a floppy disk is loaded into the drive. Sequence files stay in memory for around 90 minutes so if you accidentally shut the KN off, you can power it back up and your sequences will still be there. Even the flagship Yamaha's do not have this feature.

Large Color LCD screen that's very easy to read and fully adjustable

Slide Show capability

More intuitive user design with more dedicated buttons

A sound system that's among the best of any arranger keyboard

If you already have a KN6000 I'd suggest keeping it and adding the EW65NX expansion board. That's going to give you lots of new sounds which include a new Grand Piano, many new Soloist woodwinds and strings, and most of all new Live Drum kits that are much better than the stock KN6000 drums.

If you absolutely have to have Yamaha sounds buy a Motif rack and trigger it from your KN6000. This way you'll have the best Yamaha has to offer along with a great arranger, your KN6000.

#157199 - 07/31/03 06:30 AM Re: KN-6000 vs PSR-2100
jm_bogey Offline

I know .... when you love your keyboard you'll find is this the best of the world... It was the same to me when I had for the first time my KN-6000....
I just like to go to something new... The KN7000 is a KN6000 with better.... Sd card .... but the styles is almost the same as before. I'm still with Technics since more then 10 years. They are very good keyboard, but I need something new.... The O/S the styles,... etc.
May be I should wait and go for the Tyros....

Technics have very good keyboard but he doesn't fit with my taste !!!

A nicer feeling keyboard with aftertouch (PSR keyboard feels very cheap in comparison)...... it's true

Better sounds overall (Soloist sounds are great)...... a matter of taste...

A sequencer that's quite useful (Yamaha's sequencer is a toy in comparison)..... I don't use the sequencer

More extensive style editing features.... I don't realy use

More extensive sound editing features.... 1008 sounds..... I don't have the time to spend on that

Synthesis features for creating entirely new sounds..... The base of the sound is the same only a remix....

Tracker ball with real time control functions. This is especially useful for filtering sounds or doing pan and FX control in real time...... I never use it

Expansion board capability (2 slots).... Marketing thing.... 1008 sounds is a lot and all the new sound are not in styles we have to put them manually

Hard disk capability ... $$$$$$$$.....

Better build quality ..... better look !!!

FLASH based software for updating ... Just for repair bugs..... after 1 or 2 years no more update....

FLASH based sequencer memory so you can record a song without having to worry if a floppy disk is loaded into the drive. Sequence files stay in memory for around 90 minutes so if you accidentally shut the KN off, you can power it back up and your sequences will still be there. Even the flagship Yamaha's do not have this feature.
I'T IS NOT A FLASH MEMORY BECAUSE YOU COULD LOST YOUR SONG..... JUST DON'T CLOSE YOUR KEYBOARD.

Large Color LCD screen that's very easy to read and fully adjustable ... true.. but I don't need a TV.... just a keybaord

Slide Show capability.... WOW...

More intuitive user design with more dedicated buttons... mather of taste....

A sound system that's among the best of any arranger keyboard... YES, I HAVE ALSO A EXTERNAL SOUND SYSTEM.

#157200 - 07/31/03 07:33 AM Re: KN-6000 vs PSR-2100
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Sounds like you already made your mind up so why ask?

Grandpa Doug

#157201 - 07/31/03 09:56 AM Re: KN-6000 vs PSR-2100
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Sound quality: When I was looking for my first keyboard, after having none for 5 years. What I was looking for was the quality of the sound. There is nothing worse then practicing (even practicing scales) on a keyboard that sounds like a vacuum cleaner blowing through whistles. It will drive you crazy and you will stop playing. I tried a Roland EM10, a Yamaha PSR280, a Panasonic (not Technics). Finaly found an EM20 who's sound quality was acceptable. I have since purchased a Yamaha PSR550 and very happy with that decision. I rarely use the sequencer so the Yammy sequencer is not a problem for me. I switch from the poor feel Yammy to the great feel Roland, but if I had to keep just one of them, it would be the Yamaha. Why - the quality of the sounds, especially the piano. Be absoulutey sure that the solo instrument sounds on the PSR2100 are better then the KN6000, because it sounds like a downgrade to me.
Star

#157202 - 07/31/03 07:02 PM Re: KN-6000 vs PSR-2100
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
JM, Buy the 2100 and you'll never regret it. It's a great keyboard that produces incredible voices--not sounds that need extensive tuning just to put into the mediocre class. Stick with the Yamies!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online