SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#157082 - 03/30/07 01:16 AM Re: Video Demo-New Ketron
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Thanks Bruce.

What a nice first impression of the new Ketron, and also a very entertaining and
good performer made it a fun and enjoyable moment.
Hopefully there soon will be more demos to show it more the way like an amateur
player like me usually use a arranger keyboard, more styles and sounds etc, not
mp3 karaoke playback.
The guitars, pianos, accordeon, harmonica etc. sounds great!
But, I really hope Ketron manage to keep things the "Ketron way", and don't fill
up the keyboard with styles who sounds like you're playing a CD like Yamaha and
others do!

Really looking forward to the future demos and to try out the real thing.

Happy playing.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#157083 - 03/30/07 01:53 AM Re: Video Demo-New Ketron
F161 Offline

Loc: UK
Great demo, and I agree that this new arranger sounds more natural. The Harmonica sample was fantastic (if not the best I have ever heard), and I also liked the guitar sounds - very convincing.

I actually like the fact that some of the songs he played used sequenced parts. Most of the demos I watch these days are strictly 'live performance' only - and I can fully understand why (for the same reason Gunnar points out in his post) they would want to do this. For me a good demo is one that strikes a balance between completely live play and recorded performances (augmented with live play).

I used to attend the British Music Fair annually (back in the days when the public were allowed in) and remember a great demo by the (then) top Yamaha demonstrator, Max Takano. One of his performances was The Impiral March, from The Empire Strikes Back, on the HX1. While he played most of the performance live, he did utilise some sequenced parts. To say my jaw was firmly on the floor after this performace was an understatement. It was truly stunning and one that I can still clearly remember today.

Anyway back to the new Ketron. I must admit that this new arranger is making me quite excited. I've always been a loyal Yamaha guy, but this new model is ticking alot of boxes in what I want from an arranger keyboard. Looking forward to more demos and information.

#157084 - 03/30/07 03:11 AM Re: Video Demo-New Ketron
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
DYNAMITE !! YEOW!!

#157085 - 03/30/07 06:40 AM Re: Video Demo-New Ketron
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I can see myself with Audya and the new Bose L1 "compact" version.
DonM

#157086 - 03/30/07 06:54 AM Re: Video Demo-New Ketron
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Danny Dayn is of course a great performer !
Nice demo,nice keyboard

Impuls

#157087 - 03/30/07 07:23 AM Re: Video Demo-New Ketron
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I can see myself with Audya and the new Bose L1 "compact" version.
DonM

Don that would be a killer setup for sure that could possibly do it all & very portable too for the OMB power single act!!

#157088 - 03/30/07 02:01 PM Re: Video Demo-New Ketron
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
hmmmmmmm. I like what i am hearing so far but i am not sure that the technological jump in using real audio is that much of a jump sonically compared to what we already have through the T2 or Pa1X. This is just a video recording so i wont judge in any definitive terms yet. I dont know if it was that great a demo either as there was quite heavy use of audio files as opposed to audio styles. There may come a time when i want to move into the DJ market but for now i actually want to play my instrument.The few style that were used sounded nice but i would have prefered if he had relied more heavily upon the styles throughout the presentation. The guitars were nice and the expression used in the horns during that louis armstrong number was excellent. I noticed that a lot of the features using audio files are what the MS had been some years ago but not actually using audio live recordings in a style. Its a very intersting concept and definately a technological leap but as i said before, from the video only, it does not seem that much of a sonic leap at all.Maybe we are reaching that point musically where our ears are really struggling to tell the difference between the synthesized voice and the real thing. ( ok ok ok my ears !!!!)

#157089 - 03/30/07 02:02 PM Re: Video Demo-New Ketron
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
hmmmmmmm. I like what i am hearing so far but i am not sure that the technological jump in using real audio is that much of a jump sonically compared to what we already have through the T2 or Pa1X. This is just a video recording so i wont judge in any definitive terms yet. I dont know if it was that great a demo either as there was quite heavy use of audio files as opposed to audio styles. The demo was 25 minutes long but he actually demoed maybe 3 styles and maybe 5 voices ??? There may come a time when i want to move into the DJ market but for now i actually want to play my instrument.The few styles that were used sounded nice but i would have prefered if he had relied more heavily upon the styles throughout the presentation. The guitars were nice and the expression used in the horns during that louis armstrong number was excellent. I noticed that a lot of the features using audio files are what the Media station had been doing some years ago but not actually using audio live recordings in a style. Its a very intersting concept and definately a technological leap but as i said before, from the video only, it does not seem that much of a sonic leap at all.I am sure Ketron will sell bucket loads of these instruments (probably most purchased by don ! ( I am kidding with you my brother) If using live audio fles is not a gimmick (and i am sure it is not ) then please Ketron dont demo it like its a gimmick. Speeding up , slowing down and re-pitching audio files might be new to keyboards but the use of audio fles in this way is not new. Using them in styles is so please give us some more dmos actually featuring this more .

Maybe we are reaching that point musically where our ears are really struggling to tell the difference between the synthesized voice and the real thing. ( ok ok ok my ears !!!!) For me , what is going to sell the instrument to me is the programming of the styles and the realism of voices (plus a fully featured sequencer). Very little of that was demonstrated (i know about the absence of a sequencer which is a mistake in my view in any arranger /workstation).

but i genuinely love the fact that Ketron is challehging the other manufacturers with something truly different.

[This message has been edited by Spalding1 (edited 03-30-2007).]

#157090 - 03/30/07 02:24 PM Re: Video Demo-New Ketron
Dnj Offline

I thought the Video demo was very interesting ....Ketron is going in the right directions...lets face it technology is jumping in so many directions by leaps and bounds...the AUDYA is just another example....you have to open your mind, absorb whats going on, make decisions on your purchases for your needs between so many offerings out there....they all do it different.....having all the tools on board for so many purposes could be great for some & not so good for others depending on their playing ability, needs, & willingness to learn besides financial restrictions on a purchase of this caliber...if some one just want to play an arranger in a basic way with styles that's fine but if you want to go nuts and MIX IT UP using all modes & features now available that's available also...this is nothing compared to whats coming out in the future....its exciting just wait and see!!

#157091 - 03/30/07 02:27 PM Re: Video Demo-New Ketron
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I think Ketron is doing great with new voices, use of audio ect, but who in the hell at Ketron decided that "sequencing" is no longer needed on an arranger? Wasn't a "true" sequencer also left off the SD-5? IMO the SD-5 is one expensive ass "sounds and styles" board.. Just my opinion on that though.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online